[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] ZOO and c.b.i.p

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (06/24/89)

Thanks to all of you who wrote to me about the ZOO changeover.  I wasn't
reading c.b.i.p.d at the time (I am now).

I was cleaning out some old files today and discovered that I did pick up
a copy of Z00201 when it came through.

But, here is my problem with ZOO usage (my two cents, no discussion required),
I am a SYSOP of a BBS.  The common archive method is ZIP, with ARC second.
So what I have to do now is unZOO the file and then ZIP up so that my users
can get at the file.  The last thing they want is another archive program.

Also, even though it has been pointed out to me that ZOO will work across
many systems, the programs posted to c.b.i.p will only work on PCs.  So
who cares if they can be unZOOd on another computer.  They sure ain't gonna
work there.

My thoughts about ZOO usage for PC programs.
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (06/25/89)

In article <2136@astroatc.UUCP> brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
>Thanks to all of you who wrote to me about the ZOO changeover.  I wasn't
>reading c.b.i.p.d at the time (I am now).
>But, here is my problem with ZOO usage (my two cents, no discussion required),
>I am a SYSOP of a BBS.  The common archive method is ZIP, with ARC second.
>So what I have to do now is unZOO the file and then ZIP up so that my users
>can get at the file.  The last thing they want is another archive program.

I'm also a SYSOP.  I post archives in whatever form they come, and I
have the extractors available.  If a user needs to download a small
extractor (BOOZ is about 20K), that his his/her problem.  Why to you
feel that you have toprotect your users in this way?

>Also, even though it has been pointed out to me that ZOO will work across
>many systems, the programs posted to c.b.i.p will only work on PCs.  So
>who cares if they can be unZOOd on another computer.  They sure ain't gonna
>work there.

Yeah, the other versions are posted to the appropriate newsgroups.
For some reason, I had to get the Atari version from the Atari newsgroup
for example.  You really want stuff for other machines posted here for
your convenience?

Anyway, where do you get material for other computers if you only read
this newsgroup?  The places you get ZOO archives are generally places
you can also get ZOO.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (06/28/89)

<
<I'm also a SYSOP.  I post archives in whatever form they come, and I
<have the extractors available.  If a user needs to download a small
<extractor (BOOZ is about 20K), that his his/her problem.  Why to you
<feel that you have toprotect your users in this way?

I'm a nice guy.  Maybe too nice for my own good.

<>Also, even though it has been pointed out to me that ZOO will work across
<>many systems, the programs posted to c.b.i.p will only work on PCs.  So
<>who cares if they can be unZOOd on another computer.  They sure ain't gonna
<>work there.
<
<Yeah, the other versions are posted to the appropriate newsgroups.
<For some reason, I had to get the Atari version from the Atari newsgroup
<for example.  You really want stuff for other machines posted here for
<your convenience?
<
<Anyway, where do you get material for other computers if you only read
<this newsgroup?  The places you get ZOO archives are generally places
<you can also get ZOO.

You misunderstand, by other computers I means the computers on the net.
When the program comes in on our VAX 11/780, even if I unZOO it there, I
won't be able to run it there.  I still have to move it to my PC.

But, as was pointed out in many pieces of mail to me, many users like to
extract the doc file and read it over to see if they want to spend the time
to transfer the whole thing to their PC.  A point well taken.
--

davis@rm1.UUCP (Gary A. Davis) (06/29/89)

From article <2136@astroatc.UUCP>, by brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot):

> Also, even though it has been pointed out to me that ZOO will work across
> many systems, the programs posted to c.b.i.p will only work on PCs.  So
> who cares if they can be unZOOd on another computer.

While the binaries may not work on my UNIX system, at least I can
un-zoo them, to print the doc on the nice laser printers and/or determine
if the file is worth the time to download to the PC.

While it would be convenient if there were a single program to do the
archiving, there seem to be some *legal* hassles involved. Perhaps
someone can write a nice menu/command-line based "wrapper" that would
determine the file extension and automatically start up the correct
archiver with the appropriate switches.

--
  Gary A. Davis
  Racal-Milgo, P.O. Box 407044, Fort Lauderdale, Fl 33340, (305) 476-4393

  {{mailrus,gatech}!uflorida,ucf-cs}!novavax!rm1!davis

porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) (06/29/89)

Where can I get ZOO for a Pyramid 9080 running BSD UNIX 4.3?

thanks...

[alp]
Adam L. Porter (porter@caip.rutgers.edu)
301-B Pleasantview Drive  Piscataway, NJ  08854          (201) 752-2983