[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] PD/Shareware C Compiler

jbjones@marlin.NOSC.MIL (John B. Jones) (06/29/89)

I have been informed that the GNU compiler  is actually a UN*X realm
animal.  Does anyone have (or know of) a PD/Shareware C compiler for AT
type machines?  I'd like public domain, but I'd be willing to tryout and
possibly invest in something shareware if it's good.  I'm trying to
learn this language without too big an investment :-).

jbjones@marlin.nosc.mil

wiml@blake.acs.washington.edu (William Lewis) (06/30/89)

In article <1182@marlin.NOSC.MIL> jbjones@marlin.nosc.mil.UUCP (John B. Jones) writes:
>I have been informed that the GNU compiler  is actually a UN*X realm
>animal.  Does anyone have (or know of) a PD/Shareware C compiler for AT
>type machines?  I'd like public domain, but I'd be willing to tryout and
>possibly invest in something shareware if it's good.  I'm trying to
>learn this language without too big an investment :-).
>jbjones@marlin.nosc.mil

  I know of two PD / Shareware compilers for the PC. There's 'Small-C',
which is a (fairly complete, but not completely) public-domain
compiler. It usually comes with its own source code, and can even
compile itself. I have the impression that there is a book on compiler
design written around the design of this Small-C compiler.
  The other is called 'PCC' and is shareware. I doubt it includes its own
source. I don't really know much about this one.
  Both can probably be found on 'the signpost', a bulletin board up here
(206 area code, western Washington state...). If you want the Signpost's
number ask me. I don't know about FTP sites.
  (And Mark Williams sells a good compiler (ok compiler, very good manual!)
for about $75, I think. [disclaimer: $(std_disclaimer) $(happy_customer)])

    --- phelliax
        "Free Money! <trample> <trample>"