[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Wanted: "Robot Battle" Pgm

thomas-m@hockey.cis.ohio-state.edu (Malcolm Thomas) (06/30/89)

I have two requests:

--(1)-- Does anyone know where I can find the game in which;

	Several robots are let loose on a battle field.
	Each must try to destroy the others.
	The only control is the logic that each robot has been
	    programmed with before the start of the battle.
	The robots are programmed in C.
	They can move in any direction, stop, shoot, sence the location
	    of the other robots, and (I believe they can) detect when being
	    fired at.)

I saw this game about a year and a half ago and I believe that it is
shareware or public domain or the likes.  I would really like to get
a copy of it.

--(2)-- Are there any utilities out there that:

	Load all/most TSRs into Extended/Expanded memory?
	    (that is between 640k and 1024k)
	Invokes them when the hotkey is pressed.
	    (i.e., it would ideally know or else have some setup menu
	     to tell it which hotkeys invoke which TSR)
	Also it would be nice if it could load itself into Ex??nded memory.

Would this be impossible?  Can the TSR only be run from conventional memory?
Would it have to load the TSR into conventional memory before executing?
This could be slower than regular TSRs, but faster than a disk access.
------
Sources, ftp sites, and any leads are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
thomas-m@cis.ohio-state.edu	| "Memory the size of a postage stamp?
Dept of Cptr/Inf Sci, CAE 239	|  --sounds like my brother Bart."
Ohio-State-U, Columbus, OH 43210|

rogers@falcon.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) (06/30/89)

In article <53456@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Malcolm Thomas <thomas-m@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>--(1)-- Does anyone know where I can find the game in which;
>
>	Several robots are let loose on a battle field.
>	Each must try to destroy the others.
>	The only control is the logic that each robot has been
>	    programmed with before the start of the battle.
>	The robots are programmed in C.
>	They can move in any direction, stop, shoot, sence the location
>	    of the other robots, and (I believe they can) detect when being
>	    fired at.)

This program is CROBOTS.ARC, availible on simtel in the <MSDOS.C> directory
[pretty sure about the directory, anyway]

I have found this to be a very fine and educational program, except I have
no opponents!  I would love to exchange robot code with anybody willing.
[ I haven't looked at it for a while and my killer.r robot got deleted.]

Very challenging because your limited to 1000 lines of code that you can
use in whatever way you like (robot primitives are provided).  The program
actually impliments a C compiler (which you get source to if you register).

Send me robot code and I'll send you mine and we can have battles.

It would be a great looking game if graphics were used,but it just uses
character graphics.

 Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC        rogers@src.honeywell.com
                                       nic.MR.net!srcsip!rogers

jmdavis@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.michael.davis) (07/01/89)

In article <53456@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Malcolm Thomas <thomas-m@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>I have two requests:
>
>--(1)-- Does anyone know where I can find the game in which;
>
>	Several robots are let loose on a battle field.
>	Each must try to destroy the others.

The name of the game is C-Robots, it was originally developed for MSDOS
machines, but has since been ported. I have it on my Amiga.

However, the source is only available from the author, and is thus
right up your alley. But you will have to pay for it, about $20.

The author has read the net before (rec.games.programmer), also, check
your local BBS's.

>--(2)-- Are there any utilities out there that:
>
>	Load all/most TSRs into Extended/Expanded memory?
>	    (that is between 640k and 1024k)

Hmmmm, this doesn't look like anything people in  rec.games.misc would
be interested in.

        I am just about fed up  |       Mike Davis
        and I will only take it |       ..!att!ihlpm!jmdavis
        a few more times.       |