[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Please use ZOO!

WSCART01@ULKYVX.BITNET (06/30/89)

<But, here is my problem with ZOO usage (my two cents, no discussion required),
<I am a SYSOP of a BBS.  The common archive method is ZIP, with ARC second.
<So what I have to do now is unZOO the file and then ZIP up so that my users
<can get at the file.  The last thing they want is another archive program.
<
<Also, even though it has been pointed out to me that ZOO will work across
<many systems, the programs posted to c.b.i.p will only work on PCs.  So
<who cares if they can be unZOOd on another computer.  They sure ain't gonna
<work there.

 I find it rather insulting that some IBM users would rather not have a
standard protocal such as ZOO but would rather use the ZIP archive format.
If it were just IBM programs that were in ZIP format, I could possably
understand. That is not the case. GIF files are an example. GIF files
are ment to be utilized over a wide number of computer types. It is a
shame that some BBS put them in ZIP format. It's foolish!

 The point is, other computer types do utilize your programs and information.
Please use ZOO.

Stuart Carter            |
University of Louisville |             This space for rent!

bk@kullmar.se (Bo Kullmar) (07/02/89)

WSCART01@ULKYVX.BITNET writes:

><But, here is my problem with ZOO usage (my two cents, no discussion required),
><I am a SYSOP of a BBS.  The common archive method is ZIP, with ARC second.

> I find it rather insulting that some IBM users would rather not have a

I think that it is a fact that a normal PC user do not use Zoo. It is the
unix/usenet community that has chosen zoo, not the PC community!

The BBS:s in Sweden use LHARC, PKZIP or PKPAK. I do not think that they
ever have heard of Zoo!

I think that it is easy to understand why the unix community did chose Zoo
for the PC archives and it is also easy to understand why the PC community
chose lharc or zip.

I have heard a rumor that ZIP version 1.00 Beta pack as good as LHARC but
does it faster than LHARC! Maybe the Americans can beat the Japanese!

---
Bo Kullmar, Helsingoersg. 38, S-164 42  KISTA, Sweden, Phone +46 8 7511518
UUCP:		{uunet,mcvax,munnari,cernvax,diku,inria,prlb2,tut,ukc,unido}
		!sunic!kullmar!bk
Internet:	bk@kullmar.se

andre@targon.UUCP (andre) (07/04/89)

In article <576@kullmar.se> bk@kullmar.se (Bo Kullmar) writes:
>WSCART01@ULKYVX.BITNET writes:

>><But, here is my problem with ZOO usage (my two cents, no discussion required),
>><I am a SYSOP of a BBS.  The common archive method is ZIP, with ARC second.

>> I find it rather insulting that some IBM users would rather not have a

>I think that it is a fact that a normal PC user do not use Zoo. It is the
>unix/usenet community that has chosen zoo, not the PC community!

A normal PC user also still uses edlin :-)

(couldn't help myself)
more seriously, in comp.binaries ibm pc there are also postings of
documentation and sources. It is very handy to be able to look into
an archive before downloading it and spending money on downloading.
Also, the pkarc and arc structures have changed over time so that users
get the 'I think you need a newer version of arc' message and can't
use the stuff before they get their hands on a new version.
Zoo is always downward compatible (that's in its copyright notice)
and you can always unpack something on unix before downloading, remember
news is build on a network of unix machines.

--
~----~ |m    AAA         DDDD  It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase.
~|d1|~@--   AA AAvv   vvDD  DD        Segment registers are for worms.