[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Documentation files for GAWK

mbeck@rtmvax.UUCP (Mark Becker) (07/04/89)

Hello -

In the recent posting of GAWK_DOC, the file GAWK-INF.O-1 has the following
as the first line (minus the '<' and '>', of course) :

> Info file gawk-info, produced by Makeinfo, -*- Text -*- from input	<
> file gawk.texinfo.							<

And the remainder of the file looks like a database for some kind of
indexed menuing software.

Is there some program, running under MS-DOS (this is c.b.i.p. after
all..), that takes files of this format and presents them in a readable
fashion?

Regards,
Mark
ge-dab!peora!rtmvax!mbeck  (I hope this path works..)

desnoyer@apple.com (Peter Desnoyers) (07/05/89)

In article <3058@rtmvax.UUCP> mbeck@rtmvax.UUCP (Mark Becker) writes:
> In the recent posting of GAWK_DOC, the file GAWK-INF.O-1 has the
following
> as the first line (minus the '<' and '>', of course) :
> > Info file gawk-info, produced by Makeinfo, -*- Text -*- from input    <
> > file gawk.texinfo.
> And the remainder of the file looks like a database for some kind of
> indexed menuing software.
>
> Is there some program, running under MS-DOS (this is c.b.i.p. after
> all..), that takes files of this format and presents them in a readable
> fashion?

GnuEmacs will read this file. (this is a GNU distribution, after all.)
It won't run on a PC. If you receive this group on a UNIX machine, you
could see if you have access to GnuEmacs there.

                                      Peter Desnoyers
                                      Apple ATG
                                      (408) 974-4469

kkerce@x102c.harris-atd.com (Kingsley F. Kerce) (07/06/89)

In article <3058@rtmvax.UUCP> mbeck@rtmvax.UUCP (Mark Becker) writes:
> In the recent posting of GAWK_DOC, the file GAWK-INF.O-1 has the
> following as the first line (minus the '<' and '>', of course) :
> > Info file gawk-info, produced by Makeinfo, -*- Text -*- from input    <
> > file gawk.texinfo.
> And the remainder of the file looks like a database for some kind of
> indexed menuing software.
>
> Is there some program, running under MS-DOS (this is c.b.i.p. after
> all..), that takes files of this format and presents them in a readable
> fashion?

Freemacs, a GNU Emacs look-alike for MS-DOS machines, contains
provisions (Info) for viewing the GNU Awk doc files.  I seem to recall
using Freemacs' Info browser on the GNU Awk files with no problems.

I retrieved Freemacs via anonymous FTP from grape.ecs.clarkson.edu.
--
|=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=|
Kingsley Kerce  | kkerce%x102c@trantor.harris-atd.com | Harris Corp. GISD
                | uunet!x102a!x102c!kkerce            | PO Box 98000 MS W2/7744
(407)984-6623   |                                     | Melbourne, FL 32902

mathieu@yunexus.UUCP (Pierre Mathieu) (07/06/89)

The texinfo documentation for GAWK, as is also true of all GNU
products for UNIX, requires TeX to be formatted for printing.
There are versions of TeX around for the PC (but I have never
tried to format a texinfo file with a PC TeX; I've always done
it on UNIX).
	If you have TeX on a UNIX machine, just run TeX on
the texinfo file. Make sure you have the texinfo.tex file
available on your system.

-----

Pierre Mathieu
CRESS, York University,