[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Solitile mouse problem

rogers@falcon.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) (07/06/89)

I put the Solitile program on my AT clone and find that it doesn't work right
with the mouse I have. (new logitech serial/ps/2 mouse)

The mouse works fine as a pointing device, but the mouse buttons are only
read when it wants me to confirm an action.  The rest of the time I have to
hit the HOME key instead of the left mouse, and the PageUP key instead of the
right mouse.

The game looks pretty, but I wouldn't know the difference between it and
MahJong. (except their are different tiles).

 Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC        rogers@src.honeywell.com
                                       nic.MR.net!srcsip!rogers

mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (07/06/89)

rogers@falcon.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) writes:

>I put the Solitile program on my AT clone and find that it doesn't work right
>with the mouse I have. (new logitech serial/ps/2 mouse)

>The mouse works fine as a pointing device, but the mouse buttons are only
>read when it wants me to confirm an action.  The rest of the time I have to
>hit the HOME key instead of the left mouse, and the PageUP key instead of the
>right mouse.

this works the same for me on a zenith-at (286-lp) with the logitech
serial mouse that came bundled with the computer.  the driver is version
3.43.

however, it works fine on a zenith-159 (xt) with a logitech bus mouse
with the same version of logitech driver (config.sys: device=mouse.sys).

i think the serial port version is at fault where the device=mouse.sys
in the config.sys file needs arguments (port, speed).

any suggestions?

--
michael regoli
mr@cica.indiana.edu

pfratar@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - Department of Computing Services) (07/07/89)

In article <14@cica.cica.indiana.edu> mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:
>rogers@falcon.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) writes:
>
>>I put the Solitile program on my AT clone and find that it doesn't work right
>>with the mouse I have. (new logitech serial/ps/2 mouse)
>
>>The mouse works fine as a pointing device, but the mouse buttons are only
>>read when it wants me to confirm an action.  The rest of the time I have to
>>hit the HOME key instead of the left mouse, and the PageUP key instead of the
>>right mouse.
>
>this works the same for me on a zenith-at (286-lp) with the logitech
>serial mouse that came bundled with the computer.  the driver is version
>3.43.
>
>however, it works fine on a zenith-159 (xt) with a logitech bus mouse
>with the same version of logitech driver (config.sys: device=mouse.sys).
>
>i think the serial port version is at fault where the device=mouse.sys
>in the config.sys file needs arguments (port, speed).
>
>any suggestions?
>
>--
>michael regoli
>mr@cica.indiana.edu
>regoli@iubacs.bitnet
>...rutgers!iuvax!cica!mr

I'm not sure if this applies to your mouse or not, but I have a logitech
serial/ps2/HIREZ mouse.  It comes with a program called logimenu on the
software disk.  Logimenu when coupled with a special compiler called
newmenu allows you to very easily write drivers for specific software
applications.  ( The one for WordPerfect 5.0, included with mouse is
excellent ).  YOu can define what the mouse buttons and motion will
do, and even have pop-up menus.  I understand that all mice come with
software like this, just the Mouseware programs that come with the
logitech HIREZ mouse make it easier to do.

If your documentation tells you how to do this then simply redefine your
mouse buttons to the PageUP and HOME keys.

To do this with logimenu, I would have to write a .def file that defines
the mouse actions and attributes ( Baud, Ballistics etc. ) I want.  Then
compile it using newmenu, which creates a .mnu file.
	eg. solitile.def  ---->  solitile.mnu
then run the menu by typing logimenu solitile just before running solitile.

I'm not sure if this helps but you can check your mouse docs.

Paul F......

            Paul Frattaroli - Department of Computing Services
                        University of Waterloo
< pfratar@watshine.waterloo.edu >         < pfratar@watdcsu.waterloo.edu >

everett@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Everett Kaser) (07/11/89)

(Just to set you in the proper frame of mind, I'm the author of Solitile :-)
I've been on vacation and just got back, so I haven't had a chance to check
into this problem with Logitech mice, but from what I've read, I think it's
a problem with the Logitech driver (of course :-).  When I wrote the program,
I just used the "standard" Microsoft interface (INT 33H), according to the
Microsoft documentation, for reading the mouse position and status changes of
the buttons.  Since the Logitech bus mouse (at least one version) worked, and
the problem appears to be with the "New" serial mouse, I can't help but lean
towards pointing the finger at the Logitech driver (or, at least, at the way
it's been configured (or hasn't)).

As I find out more, I'll let you know.  (If anyone that has one of these mice
finds out anymore info, I'd appreciate hearing from you, too!)

Everett Kaser                   "Your thoughts create your reality."
!hplabs!hp-pcd!everett
everett%hpcvlx@hplabs.hp.com