[net.followup] good news...

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (04/23/86)

In article <280@parcvax.Xerox.COM> bane@parcvax.Xerox.COM (John R. Bane) writes:

>They weren't just protesting apartheid, they were trying to get
>Berkely to divest its South African investments. That IS doing
>something constructive.

I don't think disrupting a school is constructive.  If they want Berkely
to divest, then they should convince the administration with rational
arguments that it is in the interests of the school to do so.  If the
school does not agree with them, then they should refuse to associate
with the school, not throw a tantrum.

For example, if I found out that the supermarket I shop at ( Ralphs ) was
helping to support apartheid, I would take my business to another
supermarket, and let Ralphs know why.  I would encourage other people
to do the same.  However, as long as investment in South Africa is legal,
I think it would be wrong for me to try to physically prevent other
people from shopping at Ralphs.

The situation at a university is similar.  These students were not forced
to go to U.C.B.  They are free to go to a school that does not
support apartheid.  They are also free to try to convince their
Congressthings to pass laws making it illegal for U.S. corporations
to invest in South Africa.

--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

smithrd@gc49.UUCP (Randy D. Smith) (04/25/86)

In article <1950@ism780c.UUCP> tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) writes:

>I don't think disrupting a school is constructive.  If they want Berkely
>to divest, then they should convince the administration with rational
>arguments that it is in the interests of the school to do so.

I think the people who built the shanties at the University of North
Carolina were probably surprised that the Board of Governors agreed
to hear their rational arguments in a quiet, peaceful setting.  Really
threw them off guard at how human those administrators were.  Of course,
the decision of the Board of Governors after hearing their arguments
was to delay making a decision.  They thought it would be best to decide
at their next meeting on April 24.  Of course, classes end that day, and
the students would have exams and heading home to think about.  But the
Board had listened to their rational arguments, right??

> If the
>school does not agree with them, then they should refuse to associate
>with the school, not throw a tantrum.
>
>For example, if I found out that the supermarket I shop at ( Ralphs ) was
>helping to support apartheid, I would take my business to another
>supermarket, and let Ralphs know why...
>--
>Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

Not a good analogy.  (1) Ralphs is presumably a *NON-GOVERNMENT-SUPPORTED*
business concern.  (2) The bond people build between themselves and their
schools is not at all like that between themselves and their grocery
stores (a closer analogy would have been possible if Ralphs were a co-op
that people had more of a vested interest in).  (3) Were picketers of
businesses that discriminated against blacks in the 60s wrong?  Should
they have limited themselves to a simple economic boycott, as you seem
to be suggesting?  Or did some good result from the consciousness-raising
that the picketing generated?
--
				Randy D. Smith	(919) 279-5312
			  AT&T Federal Systems, Guilford Center, NC

tim%ism780c@ism780c.UUCP (05/03/86)

In article <262@gc49.UUCP> smithrd@gc49.UUCP (Randy D. Smith) writes:
>In article I write:
>>
>>For example, if I found out that the supermarket I shop at ( Ralphs ) was
>>helping to support apartheid, I would take my business to another
>>supermarket, and let Ralphs know why...
>
> Not a good analogy.  (1) Ralphs is presumably a *NON-GOVERNMENT-SUPPORTED*
> business concern.

Suppose I buy a share of Ralphs stock ( if such a thnig exists ).  Should
that give me the right to blockade a Ralphs store because I don't like
corporate policy?

Since U.C.B. is a state school, I think that the problem needs to be
dealt with at a state level.  Thus, I think that the way to fight
U.C.B. investment in South Africa ( or other state investment in
S.A. ) is to convince the legislature that the people do not want
tax money used for such things.

In particular, I think that people organizing blockades could do a lot
more to end apartheid by collecting signatures on a petition to send
to the legislature.  Or by working to elect legislators who agree with
them on divestment.

> Were picketers of businesses that discriminated against blacks in
> the 60s wrong?  Should they have limited themselves to a simple
> economic boycott, as you seem to be suggesting?

The original article said that it was a blockade at U.C.B., not a
picket line.  A picket line is fine, since those who happen to not
agree with the picketers are not infringed upon.

--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

jablow@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Eric Robert Jablow) (05/07/86)

In article <2125@ism780c.UUCP> tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) writes:
>In article <262@gc49.UUCP> smithrd@gc49.UUCP (Randy D. Smith) writes:
>>In article I write:
>>>

>Since U.C.B. is a state school, I think that the problem needs to be
>dealt with at a state level.  Thus, I think that the way to fight
>U.C.B. investment in South Africa ( or other state investment in
>S.A. ) is to convince the legislature that the people do not want
>tax money used for such things.
>
>In particular, I think that people organizing blockades could do a lot
>more to end apartheid by collecting signatures on a petition to send
>to the legislature.  Or by working to elect legislators who agree with
>them on divestment.

And here in California, you don't even need to do that;
you can set up an electoral initiative.  Howard Jarvis
succeeded with Proposition 13; you can do the same thing.
Or is that too democratic for you?
>--
>Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

-----------------------

	Speaking for the majority, Judge Whirter wrote, "Nobody has the
	right to act like a God-damned idiot, or to treat other people
	like dirt, or to tear down all the time without having
	something better to replace it with, and then come around and
	ask us for favors.

	"Congress in Crisis: The Proximity Bill"
	Garrison Keillor

			Respectfully,
			Eric Robert Jablow
			MSRI
			ucbvax!brahms!jablow

Not that this issue thrills me, but I feel in a nitpickety mood.

In article <2125@ism780c.UUCP> tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) writes:
>In article <262@gc49.UUCP> smithrd@gc49.UUCP (Randy D. Smith) writes:
>>In article I write:
>>>
>>>For example, if I found out that the supermarket I shop at ( Ralphs ) was
>>>helping to support apartheid, I would take my business to another
>>>supermarket, and let Ralphs know why...
>> Not a good analogy.  (1) Ralphs is presumably a *NON-GOVERNMENT-SUPPORTED*
>> business concern.
>Suppose I buy a share of Ralphs stock ( if such a thnig exists ).  Should
>that give me the right to blockade a Ralphs store because I don't like
>corporate policy?

It  d o e s  give you the  r e s p o n s i b i l i t y  to monitor
tha actions of Ralph's, that it continue to act in a way consistent
with your moral principles (please let me keep my illusions).  If
they fail, you must make your views known as effectively as possible
and "reasonable" (interpretations abound).  If the majority of stock-
holders wish to persist in actions which you consider immoral, honour
demands that you either withdraw from Ralph's or (if you consider
their actions a moral outrage to the world) bring public attention and
pressure to bear on them.  Note that, in the case of a university, the
former course of action may be impractical.

My.  Meek, mild, conservative me said  t h a t ???

>Since U.C.B. is a state school, I think that the problem needs to be
>dealt with at a state level.

Many schools, I believe UCB (or at least UC) included, have independent
Boards of Trustees that manage an independent Trust fund.  If no UCBer
can confirm this, I'll ask an alum (my mom).

>picket line.  A picket line is fine, since those who happen to not
>agree with the picketers are not infringed upon.

Innocent, aren't we?  Picket lines can get very nasty to those who
do not agree with their views.  I don't remember that happening
with the peace protests in my day (but then, it was my day, and I
have no historical perspective); but I know that work strikes often
seek to keep scab labour out.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}