[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Learning Center BBS

ras@rayssd.ray.com (Ralph A. Shaw) (07/15/89)

Does anyone remember seeing the telephone number posted for a
BBS that specialized in educational software for kids?  I think
it was called "The Learning Center", but I could be mistaken...

I saw it mentioned on the net a while ago, accessed it for a few brief
moments, and then had communications difficulties and never got
back to it until now, etc.

(In particular, there was a PD version of LOGO for MS-DOS that was on there).

Any (pertinent) info would be appreciated;
Ralph Shaw
uunet!rayssd!ras		ras@rayssd.ray.com
--
Ralph Shaw, 		O/S Support Mgr
Raytheon Co.,		Submarine Signal Division

apc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Alan P. Curtis) (07/17/89)

In article <8975@rayssd.ray.com> ras@rayssd.ray.com (Ralph A. Shaw) writes:
}Does anyone remember seeing the telephone number posted for a
}BBS that specialized in educational software for kids?  I think
}it was called "The Learning Center", but I could be mistaken...
}
}Any (pertinent) info would be appreciated;

I know of one called Discovery Palace (I think), I will have
to get the number from home though (IFF I rember..)

apc
--
Alan P. Curtis | AT&T Bell Labs | apc@cblpe.ATT.COM

watrous@athos.rutgers.edu (Don Watrous) (07/18/89)

Here's a one year old article on Discovery Place:

	=====================================
From: mpcook@chinet.UUCP (Michael P. Cook)
Newsgroups: misc.kids
Subject: Software for Kids
Date: 18 Apr 88 03:20:12 GMT

You are invited to call DISCOVERY PLACE, a public computer
bulletin board devoted to children...

As far as we know, we are the home of the largest dedicated public
children's software library in the "FREE" world. We have software
available to download (mostly MS-DOS) that is for children -
primarily educational/learning. Also, there is a Parent
Information Exchange message base with information on parenting
and family issues.

Also, we are always looking for sources of public domain/shareware/etc.
software for children.  We would appreciate hearing from you if you have
or know of any. -- Thanks.

We are located in Oak Park, Illinois.  You can call us at
       312-383-6335
       3/12/2400 BAUD (8/N/1)
       24 hours/day

--  Mike Cook  --  (ihnp4!chinet!mpcook)
	=====================================
--
{backbone}!aramis.rutgers.edu!watrous        watrous@aramis.rutgers.edu

jmasters@pcocd2.intel.com (Justin Masters ) (07/19/89)

+
+I saw it mentioned on the net a while ago, accessed it for a few brief
+moments, and then had communications difficulties and never got
+back to it until now, etc.
+
+(In particular, there was a PD version of LOGO for MS-DOS that was on there).
+
+Any (pertinent) info would be appreciated;
+Ralph Shaw
+uunet!rayssd!ras		ras@rayssd.ray.com
+--
+Ralph Shaw, 		O/S Support Mgr
+Raytheon Co.,		Submarine Signal Division
+Portsmouth, RI		02871
+ras@rayssd.RAY.COM

Here's a copy of the message Ralph.  (sorry about the stripped headers, It was
sitting in my directory for printing out)

<Can anyone suggest p/d, s/w or low-cost MS DOS computer games that are
<appropriate for a 4-5 year old (preferably with HGC or CGA graphics) and
<that are of some educational value (that rules out all that star wars
<stuff, I suppose.
<
<I have looked around some BBS's, but not seen much that was appropriate.
<The only program my child likes to 'play' with, with some assistance, is
<PC Paint (drawing figures and then erasing them). Imagine, that program has
<never been intended to be a 'game'!

Call Discovery Place BBS in Oak Park IL at 312-383-6335. We have hundreds of
educational software programs for kids of all ages.

Mike Cook                                              Oak Park IL USA
usenet address:                                mpcook@chinet.chi.il.us
SYSOP of DISCOVERY PLACE BBS  -  Educational Software, Kids, Parenting
312-383-6335  (No Fee Required)          24 hrs/day 8N1 3/12/2400 baud

"This is the United States calling.
 Are we reaching you?" - Pink Floyd  Justin Masters - jmasters@pcocd2.intel.com

russ@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Russell Johnston) (07/19/89)

>}Does anyone remember seeing the telephone number posted for a
>}BBS that specialized in educational software for kids?  I think
>}it was called "The Learning Center", but I could be mistaken...
>}
>}Any (pertinent) info would be appreciated;
>
>I know of one called Discovery Palace (I think), I will have
>to get the number from home though (IFF I rember..)

I think this is what you are looking for:

	312-383-6335

They have a bbs with educational software, they also sell Discovery toys.