[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] EMS Extended to Expanded RAM emulator

mday@ohs.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) (07/22/89)

I have recently downloaded a program called EMS40 from a local BBS, and I
would like to know how and if it works.  What it supposedly does is emulate
an EMS board, thereby making your extended memory into expanded RAM.  Since
here on my IBM/AT I have 512K main and 512K extended, I would like to somehow
tack that extended memory in with my main.  Currently I'm using it as a RAM
disk with VDISK.SYS, but to be able to move myself up to at least 640K would
be wonderful.  Has anyone got an idea on either how EMS would work for me or
another application that I could use?
--
+----------------------------------------------------------+-----------------+
| Matthew T. Day, Orem High School, Orem, Utah             | "He who laughs, |

psfales@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (07/23/89)

In article <312@ohs.UUCP>, mday@ohs.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) writes:
> I have recently downloaded a program called EMS40 from a local BBS, and I
> would like to know how and if it works.  What it supposedly does is emulate
> an EMS board, thereby making your extended memory into expanded RAM.  Since
> here on my IBM/AT I have 512K main and 512K extended, I would like to somehow
> tack that extended memory in with my main.  Currently I'm using it as a RAM
> disk with VDISK.SYS, but to be able to move myself up to at least 640K would
> be wonderful.  Has anyone got an idea on either how EMS would work for me or
> another application that I could use?

I raised the question a while back and I believe the consensus then was:
No, you cannot use software to map extended memory into the 0-640K range.

The way these programs work is by stealing a 64K block of memory from the
640K (in your case 512K) to use as "bank switched" memory.  Then as your
RAMDISK (or whatever) needs access to extended memory, 16K blocks are
copied between main memory and extended memory.

This is much slower than the hardware bank switching used by true EMS
boards, but it does provide a standard interface to extended memory
for any program which can use EMS.
--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
				2000 N. Naperville Rd.

jms@hcx.uucp (Michael Stanley) (07/23/89)

In article <312@ohs.UUCP>, mday@ohs.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) writes:
> I have recently downloaded a program called EMS40 from a local BBS, and I
> would like to know how and if it works.  What it supposedly does is emulate
> an EMS board, thereby making your extended memory into expanded RAM.  Since
> here on my IBM/AT I have 512K main and 512K extended, I would like to somehow
> tack that extended memory in with my main.  Currently I'm using it as a RAM
> disk with VDISK.SYS, but to be able to move myself up to at least 640K would
> be wonderful.  Has anyone got an idea on either how EMS would work for me or
> another application that I could use?

This program sounds like it came from PC magazine volume 8 issue 12 June 27,
1989.  This issue and the two prior ones: (vol 8 num 10 may 30, 1989 and vol
8 num 11 june 18, 1989) contain the three parts of an article which do a
good job of introducing one to using extended memory from programs which run
in PC/MS-DOS.  The third issue mentioned include the programs EMS4.0.SYS
and XMSDISK.SYS (in program source form) which both make use of extended
memory.  These two programs should provide working examples to supplement
the three articles.

	Michael Stanley
	jms@hcx.uucp