[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Problem with Solitile

acero@tank.uchicago.edu (Anibal Acero) (07/19/89)

I've tried running solitile on my 286/EGA clone but it doesn't work.  When
I first run the program the background changes to blue (I think) and the
display scrolls up one line; pressing a key causes the background to change
color once more and locks the keyboard, forcing me to reboot the system.
The only previous incompatibility with EGA software was with EGADEMO; it
was resolved by running SETMODE NOEMULATE (disables CGA emulation).
Setmode was provided as a utility by the (truly generic) card manufacturer.
Except for the above, this system has run all other EGA software thrown at it:
Flight Simulator (fs e), Egaroids, Borland Turbo*, Quattro,... (aaalife) ;-)

If you have any suggestions please drop me a line.
Many thanks.
tony acero

everett@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Everett Kaser) (07/20/89)

I've mailed a reply to Tony, basically stating that he's the only one who has
reported this kind of problem so far, and that I suspect it's something with
his hardware configuration, or the unpacking of the binary.  If anyone else
has had this kind of problem (on EGA/VGA hardware! that's all it supports),
please let me know.

Everett Kaser                   "Your thoughts create your reality."
!hplabs!hp-pcd!everett
everett%hpcvlx@hplabs.hp.com

greg@lxn.eds.com (Greg Wolfe) (07/25/89)

everett@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Everett Kaser) writes:

>I've mailed a reply to Tony, basically stating that he's the only one who has
>reported this kind of problem so far, and that I suspect it's something with
>his hardware configuration, or the unpacking of the binary.  If anyone else
>has had this kind of problem (on EGA/VGA hardware! that's all it supports),
>please let me know.

>Everett Kaser                   "Your thoughts create your reality."
>!hplabs!hp-pcd!everett
>everett%hpcvlx@hplabs.hp.com

     I'm not sure if this is the same problem, but I do remember reading
about a problem involving a Logitech mouse & not being able to use the
mouse buttons with the program. I have experienced the same problem w/
my Logitech mouse; I cannot use the mouse buttons, and must press 'Home'
& 'Page Up' in order to mark tiles, confirm answers, etc. I'm not sure if
this has anything to do with it, but this Logitech mouse has three buttons
instead of the standard two. I tried various combinations w/ the three
buttons, but with no luck.

                                      - Greg
--
Gregory T. Wolfe                    | US MAIL: Electronic Data Systems (EDS)
UUCP: vu-vlsi!lxn!greg              |          Lanark Building