[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Re^2: v03i095: vpic, displays gif/mac/pic files on ega/vga v1.4

tim@eagle.hf.intel.com.ogc.edu (07/27/89)

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>This is a good time to address the issue of "version x is obsolete,
>because version x+1 is available."
>I don't know where vpic falls on my scale of good versus bad.  You tell
>me.  Was vpic 1.4 so bad that it shouldn't have been posted?  Or was it
>good enough to be still useful?
>--
>Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
>UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

Just an FYI.  Here is the version information on ver 1.5 - 1.8 from the file
VPIC.DOC from the ver 1.8 that was just sent to me (thanks to Jeff Wolford
wolfordj@cbnewsc.ATT.COM or att!iwsag!jww):

-----
VPIC ver 1.5   3-23-89
          Fixed bug in 'Escape while decoding' which would hang system.
          Fixed EGA x2 display for interlaced files.
          Fixed problem with saving a pic after scrolling.
          Fixed palette in animate, so save will use current palette.
          Fixed problem with bad files in slide mode that would hang computer.
          Fixed error display in /@ slide mode and single file mode.
VPIC ver 1.6   4-5-89
          Fixed bugs in slide show from command file. Added comments.
          Added resolution option for each picture in slide command file.
          Fixed miscellaneous minor bugs.
          Added configurable menu color.

VPIC ver 1.7   6-13-89
          Added Trident chip set support (for Maxxon and Logix VGA boards
            and maybe the ATI board).
          Fixed a few bugs concerned with putting & getting lines from the
            display screen.
          Fixed problem with Ctrl Z at end of slide definition file.

VPIC ver 1.8  6-28-89
          Added EGA Paint viewing/conversion.
          Fixed conversion to 800x600 ColoRIX file.
          Fixed other minor bugs.

-----

If you want vpic ver 1.8 please contact Jeff Wolford at the addresses I listed
above (I don't have sent files any more just the .zoo file).  It is a 3 part
mailing.

I like vpic and it's ability to be configured for super-vga boards, but there
are still annoying things with it.  I won't display 16 color when set to 256
color (it knows all the available modes you have, why can't it have the option
to select the closest correct mode?)  It still can't handle gif files larger
than the mode (640x480x256 gif on a 320x200x256 vga mode).  But all that is
neither here nor there.  But there was and has been a noticeable lack of a
cfg file for the IBM VGA board, the vga.cfg file is for a 64K VGA board, who

even sells a 64K VGA board these days?!?  Here is my file IBMVGA.CFG that I
made yesterday:

-----

IBM VGA Board                ;Board name
GENERIC                     ;Chip set - not used
4                           ;Banks
6                           ;Menu text color
1 1 0x13 0 0 0 320 200 256  ;VGA modes
0 0 0x0D 0 0 0 320 200 16   ;EGA modes
0 0 0x0E 0 0 0 640 200 16
0 0 0x10 0 0 0 640 350 16
0 1 0x12 0 0 0 640 480 16

-----

Later,

Tim Forsyth
Intel Corp., OEM Platforms Operation, Hillsboro, OR
tim@eagle.hf.intel.com
tim@opoxsrv.i.intel.com
forsytim@ccm.hf.intel.com

My ideas and comments only, not Intel's.

gwang@berlioz (George Wang) (07/27/89)

In article <630@gandalf.littlei.UUCP> tim@eagle.hf.intel.com (Timothy E. Forsyth) writes:
>dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>>This is a good time to address the issue of "version x is obsolete,
>>because version x+1 is available."
>>I don't know where vpic falls on my scale of good versus bad.  You tell
>>me.  Was vpic 1.4 so bad that it shouldn't have been posted?  Or was it
>>good enough to be still useful?

FYI, the latest version of VPIC is version 1.9.... Aarrrgghhh...
Reminds me of Zmodem....

George
National Semiconductor