[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Complaints about missing parts

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (07/21/89)

In article <8258@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>The following articles have been reposted in comp.binaries.ibm.pc
>recently:

[list deleted for brevity]

>Please wait a couple of days to give these reposted articles a chance
>to reach you.
>--
>Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>

Occasionally a few postings manage to find their way to the BHU (Black
Hole of USENET), never to be seen again.  Some people then post a note
that "part N of the GreatProgram posting never made it here" to inform
Rahul of its demise.  However, there are a few who, upon being denied
their "rights" to a particular file posting, take it upon themselves to
call for a new moderator, demand investigations into the necessity of
moderation in the first place, and/or post general rantings and ravings
about the dereliction demonstrated by USENET in general and the
moderator in particular.

I, for one, wonder why Rahul puts up with the crap he must get for
doing this job, as a volunteer mind you, from the whining protests I
see posted to this group.  I mean, mentioning that a particular file
seems to be missing is one thing, but whining, moaning and general
bitching because of bad connections, black holes and (oh my gawd!)
missing game files is absolutely ridiculous.

Yes, I've posted messages about missing postings, too, but with the
intent to inform Rahul (and others) that our site, a major NorthWest
(America) hub site didn't get it so as to verify partial or total loss
of a posting.  Knowing the job Rahul has done in the past I'm confident
enough in his work to be patient and wait for the reposting(s).  Those
who have most recently joined in the group seem to be most likely to
complain the loudest, perhaps, thinking it will help get a file
reposted. (The squeaky wheel may get the grease, but it's the empty
wagon that makes the most noise.)

If you think a particular posting is so VERY important then spend some
of your OWN money to call up one of the archive machines to get it.
Don't just sit there and expect to be spoon-fed your binaries.

So - Rahul: thanks for the great job.

And - Complainers: SHUT (and Lighten!) UUUUUPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kEITHe

lane@cs.dal.ca (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) (07/24/89)

In article <5619@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
 [general discussion of the recent spate of missing posting on c.b.i.p.,
 and an expression of support for the current moderator as the problems
 arn't his fault ]
>So - Rahul: thanks for the great job.
>And - Complainers: SHUT (and Lighten!) UUUUUPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>kEITHe

I would second these opinions as I too think R.D. is doing an outstanding
job -  I think most people feel the same - and I realize that this is a
problem of net connectivity and beyond Rahul's, or, for all I know,
anybody's power to control.

It is a serious problem, though, and it's tragic to see so much of Rahul's
fine efforts disappearing into the "BHU" - Black Hole of Usenet, as Keith
called it.  Especially since so much of the *drivel* on the net gets through
unscathed -  I won't name names or newsgroups here, you know who you are :-)

I enjoy some of the drivel, mind you, but c.b.i.p and groups like it are a
real *service* and the integrety of that service should be protected and
supported with any resources the net can muster - at the expense of the
drivel if that's what it takes.

Here's hoping that something can be and is being done about this.

--
John Wright      //////////////////     Phone:  902-424-3805  or  902-424-6527
Post: c/o Dr Pat Lane, Biology Dept, Dalhousie U, Halifax N.S., CANADA B3H-4H8

rusty@cadnetix.COM (Rusty Carruth) (07/28/89)

In article <1989Jul24.031202.12292@cs.dal.ca> lane@cs.dal.ca.UUCP (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) writes:
.>>So - Rahul: thanks for the great job.....
.>
.>I would second these opinions as I too think R.D. is doing an outstanding
.>job -  I think most people feel the same -....
.>John Wright

Make this a third.

Rusty Carruth  UUCP:{uunet,boulder}!cadnetix!rusty  DOMAIN: rusty@cadnetix.com
Daisy/Cadnetix Corp. (303) 444-8075\  5775 Flatiron Pkwy. \ Boulder, Co 80301
Radio: N7IKQ    'home': P.O.B. 461 \  Lafayette, CO 80026