[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Help with strange partitioning--logical drive setup

2014_5001@uwovax.uwo.ca (07/28/89)

I have my hard drive partitioned into a DOS3.3 partition and a DOS2.11
partition (Why?  Simply as DOS2.11 gives me more free RAM, which I do need).

I would like to be able to access the DOS2.11 partition from within the DOS3.3
partition, so I need not use floppies to xfer data.  Unfortunately, the DOS3.3
logical drive configuration is done by fdisk, which means that with it I can
only assign logical names to DOS3.3 drives.  I tried fooling it by first
creating an extended DOS3.3 partition, and then tweaking the partition table by
hand (Adv NU 4.0), but the logical drive assignments were lost.

Query 1.  Is there a PD program that will assign logical drives to partitions?
Query 2.  If not, is there some way I can xfer data between the two partitions,
          without using floppies?  Perhaps keeping a ramdisk open between boots
          on the two partitions?
Query 3.  Has anyone ever partitioned a disk into different DOS versions
          before?  Did he/she have any other problems with such a
          partitioning?
Query 4.  Is there perhaps another way of getting more RAM, other than
          switching to DOS2.11?  I cannot afford any ex[pt]ended RAM, and
          my programs still would not be able to use it.

I really do need about 20Kb more RAM.  Not more.  20 is enough, that's why
it is sufficient to switch to DOS2.11.

--
!---------------------------------------------------------------------------!
! Alexander Pruss, at one of: Department of Applied Mathematics, Astronomy, !

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) (07/29/89)

In article <3216@uwovax.uwo.ca> 2014_5001@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>I have my hard drive partitioned into a DOS3.3 partition and a DOS2.11
>partition (Why?  Simply as DOS2.11 gives me more free RAM, which I do need).

Here is an alternative way of using both MS-DOS 2.11 and 3.3 on the
same machine.

Use only one big partition for both.

Install 2.11 on the hard disk.

Create a boot floppy for booting 3.3.  On the boot floppy, in the
config.sys file, specify

	  shell = C:\msdos3\command.com C:\msdos3 /e:2000 /p

(assuming C: is your hard disk).  (Adjust parameters as needed.)  On
the C: disk copy the COMMAND.COM from MS-DOS 3.3 to the \MSDOS3
subdirectory.  In the autoexec.bat file on the boot disk, set PATH to
include directories on the hard disk that contain MS-DOS 3.3 programs,
not 2.11 programs.

When you boot from the hard disk, you get 2.11.  When you boot from the
boot floppy, you get 3.3.  In either case you use the same files.  If
you have trouble making 2.11 read a hard disk formatted by 3.3 (might
happen, might not), just use 2.11 to format the hard disk.

If you format using 2.11, you may get big clusters on the disk causing
more fragmentation.  If at all possible format with 3.3, or use one of
the patch schemes that I've seen floating around here and there to get
smaller clusters with 2.11.

An alternative is to boot 3.3 from the hard disk and boot 2.11 from a
floppy.  This is not so good, because 2.11 has a bug that causes it to
always reload COMMAND.COM from the boot disk no matter what the shell=
statement says in config.sys.  This will then require you to keep the
boot disk in drive A: all the time, or be annoyed by messages asking
you to insert COMMAND.COM disk in drive A:.

On some machines you can extend available memory to a little more than
640K by using some of the empty memory space.  This is highly
system-specific and may require changing jumpers in your system, and I
have no idea how to do it, but I know that some people have done it
successfully.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

2014_2300@uwovax.uwo.ca (Ken Hunt') (08/01/89)

In article <8466@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> In article <3216@uwovax.uwo.ca> 2014_5001@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>>I have my hard drive partitioned into a DOS3.3 partition and a DOS2.11
>>partition (Why?  Simply as DOS2.11 gives me more free RAM, which I do need).
>
> Here is an alternative way of using both MS-DOS 2.11 and 3.3 on the
> same machine.
>
> Use only one big partition for both.
>
> Install 2.11 on the hard disk.
>
> Create a boot floppy for booting 3.3.  On the boot floppy, in the
> config.sys file, specify
>
> 	  shell = C:\msdos3\command.com C:\msdos3 /e:2000 /p
>
> (assuming C: is your hard disk).  (Adjust parameters as needed.)  On
> the C: disk copy the COMMAND.COM from MS-DOS 3.3 to the \MSDOS3
> subdirectory.  In the autoexec.bat file on the boot disk, set PATH to
> include directories on the hard disk that contain MS-DOS 3.3 programs,
> not 2.11 programs.
>
> When you boot from the hard disk, you get 2.11.  When you boot from the
> boot floppy, you get 3.3.  In either case you use the same files.  If
> you have trouble making 2.11 read a hard disk formatted by 3.3 (might
> happen, might not), just use 2.11 to format the hard disk.
>
> If you format using 2.11, you may get big clusters on the disk causing
> more fragmentation.  If at all possible format with 3.3, or use one of
> the patch schemes that I've seen floating around here and there to get
> smaller clusters with 2.11.
>
> An alternative is to boot 3.3 from the hard disk and boot 2.11 from a
> floppy.  This is not so good, because 2.11 has a bug that causes it to
> always reload COMMAND.COM from the boot disk no matter what the shell=
> statement says in config.sys.  This will then require you to keep the
> boot disk in drive A: all the time, or be annoyed by messages asking
> you to insert COMMAND.COM disk in drive A:.
>
> On some machines you can extend available memory to a little more than
> 640K by using some of the empty memory space.  This is highly
> system-specific and may require changing jumpers in your system, and I
> have no idea how to do it, but I know that some people have done it
> successfully.

This is interesting, but the only reasson I switched from 2.11 to 3.3 was to
save HD space (only 20Meg and can't afford any more).  So I would certainly
need a way of patching DOS 2.11 for smaller clusters.  My DOS 2.11 cannot
read my 3.3 format.  That's why I thought I would need to partition my drive.

> --
> Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
> UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi
--
! Alex Pruss Dept. of Astronomy, Dept. of Applied Math,                 !