[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Tape Backup

greg@dekalb.UUCP (Greg Philmon) (07/28/89)

I'm interested in getting an inexpensive internal (or external) tape backup for
an IBM PC clone.  I currently have two floppies, and will not give up my B:
drive.

Most of the DC2000 units I've seen connect to the floppy controller, thus
allowing you only a single floppy.  I have heard that Mountain makes a drive
that can be daisy-chained from the B: drive, thus allowing you both floppies.

Can anyone confirm/deny this claim?  Yes, I know that you can get a separate
controller for the tape drive, but seven of my 8 slots are already full and I'd
like to find a "slotless" solution, if it exists.

    | Greg Philmon  ...gatech!dekalb!greg   CIS: 72261,1724 |

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (07/31/89)

In article <617@dekalb.UUCP> greg@dekalb.UUCP (Greg Philmon) writes:
|I'm interested in getting an inexpensive internal (or external) tape backup for
|an IBM PC clone.  I currently have two floppies, and will not give up my B:
|drive.
|
|Most of the DC2000 units I've seen connect to the floppy controller, thus
|allowing you only a single floppy.  I have heard that Mountain makes a drive
|that can be daisy-chained from the B: drive, thus allowing you both floppies.
|
|Can anyone confirm/deny this claim?  Yes, I know that you can get a separate
|controller for the tape drive, but seven of my 8 slots are already full and I'd
|like to find a "slotless" solution, if it exists.

I can confirm the claim.  I have installed "Swan" tape drives (repackaged
Mountain drives) in computers with B drives already and lost nothing.  You
can look in PC Magazine for Tussey Computer Product's ad, get the Swan XT/AT
internal tape backup (or, of course, you can get it straight from Mountain,
or from another mail order company -- it's just that this one is a sure
thing.)

  Bill
--
   Bitnet: wcf@psuhcx.bitnet     Bill Fenner       | aaaaaaaaa
  Internet: wcf@hcx.psu.edu                        |            r

ctcheung@pollux.usc.edu (Christopher T. Cheung) (08/01/89)

What you might want to do is switch floppy drive controllers.  I seen one that
can drive four floppy drives/tape backup drives.  I forgot which company makes
them.  Maybe someone out in USENETland can give you the name.

						Chris~(ctcheung@pollux.usc.edu)

sandy@sorsac.UUCP (Sandy Hawkins) (08/02/89)

>|like to find a "slotless" solution, if it exists.

I have the mountain drive at home it sure beats floppy backups, I would
recommend it to anyone that is serious about backing up their drives.

It is not fast but start it and do something else while it works.

Should you have any specific questions call me 573-7745 (local)