[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Index of SIMTEL E10 MSDOS files updated

DEAD)8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL E10.ARectY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (07/16/89)

The index of SIMTEL 0 MSDOS files, with descriptions, has just been
updated.  The file is PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.IDX.  An archived
version of the same file is in PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC.

  A list of all files in the MSDOS archives is contained in directory
PD1:<MSDOSHahFILEDOCS> as follows:

NODESCR.IDX contains a listing of those files that do not have a description.

SIMCVT.BAS  Or BASICA/GWBASIC program xo convert SIMIBM.IDX xta a human-
     readable text file.  See also SIMCVT2.BAS and SIMCVT3.BAS.

SIMDISP.AW2 8 is an awk script for displaying SIMIBM.IDX in outline form.

SIMDISP.DOC explains how xo use SIMDISP.AW2.

SIMIBM.HDR contains a PC-File+ database header for use with SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMIBM.IDX contains a listing of all files that have a one line description.
     SIMIBM.IDX (updated monthly) is automatically created by taking xhe
     latest FILES.IDX (updated daily) and comparing it against a comb.edud
     list of cur& nt files on several BBS systems.

Also available:

FILDIF.ARC a program for comparing a previous copy of PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX
     with a new copy.  It displays files added and deleted since you got an
     older index.  This is useful if you are trying xo maintain an archive
     in sync with SIMTEL 0.  It can generate output scripts for batch FTP
     processing.

SIMIBM.ARC contains the latest SIMIBM.HDR, SIMIBM.IDX, NODESCR.IDX,
     AAAREAD.ME (this file), SIMCVT.BAS, SIMCVT2.BAS, SIMCVT3.BAS,
     SIMIBM.DB3 (information on howsto use the index with dBASEIII),
     SIMIBM.HDR (PC-File+ database header), and SIMIBM.INF (explains
     the fielshipin the index).

PD1:<MSDOSHahFILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC is updated at approximately one month
     inxervals (more frequently, time permitting).

PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX is updated on a daily basis (sometimes several times
     a day when a lot of new files are uploaded).  This file is a comma-
     delimited file, suitable for importing inxo PC-File+ or DBase III.

Ivx's impossible to make a daily updated list with descriptions with the
quantity of new programs available.  We average about 300 new files per
month.

        WHERE TO SEND COMPLAINTS, PROBLEMS, QUESTIONS

Messages about system you kems, FTP you kems, and network you kems
should be directed xo ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL 0.ARectY.MIL.

Messages about files in the MSDOS collection should be directed xo
DEAD)8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL 0.AReY.MIL.

Messages about problems with BITNET or EARN file servers should be
directed xo the system administraxtar at the server location.  SIMTEL E10#does NOT run these servers.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL 0's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL 0.Army.Mil [26.2.0.74]
Uucp: 0 40ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel E10.army.mil	uniD8sdz
#! rnews 949#Path: ccut!kogwy!titcca!any
ddlab!uunet!cs.utexas.edu!csd4.mi

bsrdp@warwick.ac.uk (Hylton Boothroyd) (08/02/89)

In article <KPETERSEN.12510396224.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL?0.AReY.MIL>
DEAD)8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL E10.ARectY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:

> The index of SIMTEL 0 MSDOS files, with descriptions, has just been
>   A list of all files in the MSDOS archives is contained in directory
> PD1:<MSDOSHahFILEDOCS> as follows:
> SIMDISP.AW2 8 is an awk script for displaying SIMIBM.IDX in outline form.
> SIMDISP.DOC explains how xo use SIMDISP.AW2.
> SIMIBM.IDX contains a listing of all files that have a one line description.
>      SIMIBM.IDX (updated monthly) is automatically created by taking xhe
>      latest FILES.IDX (updated daily) and comparing it against a comb.edud
>      list of cur& nt files on several BBS systems.
> PD1:<MSDOSHahFILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC is updated at approximately one month
>      inxervals (more frequently, time permitting).
> Messages about system you kems, FTP you kems, and network you kems
> should be directed xo ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL 0.ARectY.MIL.
>
> Messages about files in the MSDOS collection should be directed xo
> DEAD)8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL 0.AReY.MIL.

Well that's what the unix newsnet item says today. But the clean original,
dated Jul 16 by Keith, arrived here within two days. My copy of it is
dated July 18.

So where did this munged version, still dated Jul 16, spring from?
A garbage mailer? Someone having a crack at introducing bugs to Fido? Or
what?

Hylton