[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Zoo: FATAL: out of memory

neil@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Neil A. Law) (07/27/89)

I've run into some trouble with zoo and was hoping someone could help me
out.

I've used zoo to backup my 32MB C drive which resulted in a 11.9MB zoo file.
Unfortunately now I cannot retrieve all of the files from the archive.  When
trying to extract an old copy of my autoexec.bat I get the following:

     F:\> zoo e disk_c autoexec.bat
     Zoo: FATAL: Ran out of memory.

This file and the others I have tried to extract are near the end of the
archive.  I have been able to extract a file from the first half of the
archive.

When running zoo I have 545KB of memory available.  I am using zoo 2.1 on an
NCR PC-916 (80386).

Does anyone know how to get around this problem?  If not does anyone know
what the breaking point is for zoo, how many files can I put in before it
chokes on extraction?
  E&M Waterloo, NCR Canada Ltd, 580 Weber St. N., Waterloo, Ont. N2J 4G5
  N.Law@Waterloo.NCR.COM                  uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwat!swdev!neil

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) (07/28/89)

In article <956@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM> neil@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Neil A.
Law) writes:
>     F:\> zoo e disk_c autoexec.bat
>     Zoo: FATAL: Ran out of memory.
>When running zoo I have 545KB of memory available.  I am using zoo 2.1 on an
>NCR PC-916 (80386).

At extraction time zoo 2.01 allocates memory for each filename being
extracted (without freeing it, unfortunately).  It will probably run
out of memory only after a lot of pathnames (several hundred to a
couple of thousand, depending on name length).  It doesn't use long
pointers and so is limited to 64K data.  (This will be fixed in the
next release.)

Possible work-arounds:
1.   Make a fresh copy of the archive, eliminate most files from
     the copy it by selecting with wildcards, then extract needed
     files.  E.g.

          copy disk_c.zoo G:x.zoo
          zoo D G:x *.com *.exe *.c *.h *.i
          zoo PE G;x
          zoo e G:x autoexec.bat

     You will need enough disk space to copy the archive and pack it.

2.   Extract the archive on another system on which the 64K segment
     limit doesn't apply.  (VAX/VMS, BSD, System V, Amiga, Atari).

3.   Use looz to extract.  It doesn't do anything special with filenames
     and allocates no memory for them.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) (07/29/89)

From article <956@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM>, by neil@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Neil A. Law):

> I've run into some trouble with zoo and was hoping someone could help me
> out.
>
> I've used zoo to backup my 32MB C drive which resulted in a 11.9MB zoo file.
> Unfortunately now I cannot retrieve all of the files from the archive.  When
> trying to extract an old copy of my autoexec.bat I get the following:
>
>      F:\> zoo e disk_c autoexec.bat
>      Zoo: FATAL: Ran out of memory.

I've run into a similar problem.  I used stuff | zoo to back up a
subdirectory onto part of a HD floppy.  The zoo file is about 300K.
This having been done several months ago, I tried to update the zoo
file from the same subdirectory, and got the same FATAL message.  I was
able to make a new zoo archive from the same subdirectory, but that
took a lot more time than an update.  I was also able to update a zoo
archive that backed up a much smaller subdirectory.

I'm hoping that zoox (the multivolume zoo) doesn't have this problem,
but I haven't tried it yet.

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!hounx!marty1 or marty1@hounx.ATT.COM

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
	    explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.

smvorkoetter@watmum.waterloo.edu (Stefan M. Vorkoetter) (07/31/89)

In article <2697@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) writes:
>I'm hoping that zoox (the multivolume zoo) doesn't have this problem,
>but I haven't tried it yet.

I tried to use zoox this weekend with the multivolume feature, and got a message
to the effect: FATAL: out of memory or target disk full.  What good is a multivolume
archiver that can only back up to one volume :-)  Anyway, I went back to using PC
DOS 3.3's BACKUP.

Stefan

ugbell@sunybcs.uucp (William Bell) (08/04/89)

  Does anyone use DeskView 1.0 with or without QEMM 4.2??

  I was wondering:
1) How much memory would you say is adaquate?
2) Is it true that you can run 2 programs simulataneous? A friend of mine
   said I could run a BBS in the background and play a game in the forground.
   Is this true? Is anyone using DeskView to do this exact thing? How about
   running a BBS in the background throught COM1: and using procomm
   through COM2:?
3) Is there a way to use memory from 640K to 1 Meg for resident programs?
   Or is this just used for BIOS and MOS 4.01??

  By the way, I meant DeskView 386.