[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] UFgate.. Don't get your hopes up.

kreiner@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ray and Paula Kreiner) (08/08/89)

(I hate VI, it hates me.. sorry if this posting is garbled)
I have previewed UFGate (Docs at least) because I know the Big R. and he
gave it me on disk.  Problems follow.

ZZ1) From the docs (1/2 the volume of my bookbag)
   all incoming mail/news is converted (locally) to fidonet.  If you are like
   me and want to just be a leaf PC node to Usenet, this will cause problems.

2) The Docs expect a very high level of intelligence about Usenet, Mail formats,
Fidonet, fidonodesystem, Generalgibberishingeneral.

3) from the docs (as much as I gather since I know little of #2) you also need
to have a mail "Mover".. I.E. it doesn't do it by itself.{  The supplied
uuslave assumes all logging in and hookup has been doen, otherwise it waits for
an inbound call.

4) the manual is gibberish on the screen.  They double and triple-type to
highlight most words that don't need to be.  Very disappointing.

5) Sorry.. lost a thought (easy to do for me)  You need one of the following:
  Binklyterm,
  FIDO,
Opus,
 SEAdog,
 ConfMail. to run a UU-fido link.

Any Specific questions about Docs I don't mind answering as long as it's
an E-mail.

Oh, BTW, this package is in 4 arcs, taking a total of 700+kb of storage.
P.S. Dirty line too (sorry)
-Barrett
(kreiner@ddsw1 until ~21 Aug 89)
(pervect@bsu-cs for the next couple of years)

Nanook@tlsi.FIDONET.ORG (Keith Dickinson) (08/09/89)

In an article of <8 Aug 89 02:53:38 GMT>, kreiner@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ray and Paula Kreiner) writes:
 >From: kreiner@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ray and Paula Kreiner)
 >Date: 8 Aug 89 02:53:38 GMT
 >Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
 >(I hate VI, it hates me.. sorry if this posting is garbled)
 >I have previewed UFGate (Docs at least) because I know the Big R. and he
 >gave it me on disk.  Problems follow.
 >
 >1) From the docs (1/2 the volume of my bookbag)
 >   all incoming mail/news is converted (locally) to fidonet.  If you are
 >like me and want to just be a leaf PC node to Usenet, this will cause
 >problems.
 >
 >2) The Docs expect a very high level of intelligence about Usenet, Mail
 >formats, Fidonet, fidonodesystem, Generalgibberishingeneral.
 >
 >3) from the docs (as much as I gather since I know little of #2) you also
 >need to have a mail "Mover".. I.E. it doesn't do it by itself.{  The  >supplied uuslave assumes all logging in and hookup has been doen, otherwise  >it waits for an inbound call.
 >
 >4) the manual is gibberish on the screen.  They double and triple-type to
 >highlight most words that don't need to be.  Very disappointing.
 >
 >5) Sorry.. lost a thought (easy to do for me)  You need one of the
 >following:
 >  Binklyterm,
 >  FIDO,
 >Opus,
 > SEAdog,
 > ConfMail. to run a UU-fido link.
 >
 >Any Specific questions about Docs I don't mind answering as long as it's
 >an E-mail.
 >
 >Oh, BTW, this package is in 4 arcs, taking a total of 700+kb of storage.
 >P.S. Dirty line too (sorry)
 >-Barrett
 >(kreiner@ddsw1 until ~21 Aug 89)
 >(pervect@bsu-cs for the next couple of years)

You appear to have a rathe incomplete view of what it takes to use UFGATE on your PC to act as a UUCP node. I will assume that you are not interested in being a fido node so I'll give the base minimum files and why.

UUSLAVE: The equivilant of UUCP. All it does is copy files in/out.
NEWS(IN|OUT): Toss news In to or Out of your system. (rnews)
CUB: Compress (12|16) for your inbound news. (no one wants uncompressed news!)
MAIL(IN|OUT): Tosses mail In to or Out of your system. (smail)
COMPCTL: Compile your configuration list to a compressed format. Quicker for
         startups.
EXPIRE: Obviously you don't want messages lying arround for ever...

Non UUCP programs that you need.
Anything that will read/write mail/echos. A good choice for this is a program called MSGED. MSGED will allow you to go in and read/respond/post to the message base without having to run a full (or even partial) bbs.

The only problem you might run into is that most of the software wants a Fidonet node number. As long as you NEVER connect to fidonet, you can put anything you want there. It would help if you made it an immagionary number (something totaly irrational like 9999/9999) in case a message ever did come out with a node number burried in it for some reason.

You do _NOT_ need Binkley, Fido, Opus, Seadog or Confmail to run strictly a Usenet system. All that stuff is for connecting to Fidonet.

If you want to be a gateway to Fido (such as I am), you _will_ have to get the full UFgate package and a BBS package and probably spend hours and hours tweeking it so it works.... But ONLY if you want to gate.

As for the Docs in UFgate... Yes it assumes alot, but then again, it was (is) an amature project. If you know of anyone who writes docs for a living who wants to revise it, please invite them to ;)

If you have any more questions you can feel free to mail to me.
Keith Dickinson 1:124/2202.0
Nanook@tlsi.Fidonet.Org
attctc!tlsi!nanook
--- msged 1.99S ZTC
 * Origin: TLSI: The DFW/Usenet Gateway  (1:124/2202)
--
          __     Fidonet : 124/2202 [(214) 399-0094]
         /  \    Internet: nanook@TLSI.Fidonet.Org