[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Unix-like cat for MS-DOS

djb@wjh12.harvard.edu (David J. Birnbaum) (08/09/89)

MS-DOS 'copy' does not like wildcards; I can not concatenate temp1
and temp2 into temp3 by entering "copy temp? temp3" (assuming that
temp1 and temp2 exist and temp3 doesn't.  The UNIX cat command will
do what I want (cat temp? > temp3).  I looked for an MS-DOS implemen-
tation and tried the one in picnix31, but it includes the EOF
character and I am unable to concatenate text files and then look
at them without tripping over the embedded control-Z.  There doesn't
seem to be a switch that would concatenate text files and dump the
extra control-Zs (retaining the one at the end of the last file, of
course).

Could anyone point me toward an MS-DOS version of cat (or anything
similar) that will allow me to concatenate text files USING WILDCARDS
without running into my embedded control-Z problem.  I have ftp ac-
cess; if it's available at an archive site, please let me know what
the program is called, where it is, and how to get there by ftp.
Please reply by email to:
  djb@wjh12.harvard.edu [Internet]
  djb@wjh12.uucp [UUCP]
  djb@harvunxw.bitnet [Bitnet]

Thanks.

--David

mlord@bnr-public.uucp (Mark Lord) (08/10/89)

How about the MSDOS 'xcopy' command instead?  It seems to work much
better with wildcards than 'copy'.  Supplied with DOS 3.2 and up.

-Mark

bmw@isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) (08/10/89)

In article <380@wjh12.harvard.edu> djb@wjh12.UUCP (David J. Birnbaum) writes:

>Could anyone point me toward an MS-DOS version of cat (or anything
>similar) that will allow me to concatenate text files USING WILDCARDS
>without running into my embedded control-Z problem.
>
>--David

In case you're not aware of it, the MKS Toolkit has a completely
*NIX-compatible 'cat(1)' as well as 'millions' of other *NIX tools
for about $200. Highly recommended.

Check out ads for Mortice Kern in "Software Tools" or Dr. Dobbs Journal.

--
Bruce Walker                   ...uunet!mnetor!lsuc!isgtec!mutant!bmw
"Better Living Through Connectivity"  ...utzoo!lsuc!isgtec!mutant!bmw