[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] zoo bug?

mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) (08/11/89)

Has anyone had this problem and solved it?  Occasionally when extracting
zoo files, there will be one or two files that refuse to extract.  I get
a message that reads something like:

	overwrite <filename>? yes/no/all

Since I'm extracting on an empty directory, this message doesn't make
sense.  Yet, regardless of what answer I give, it comes back with

	ZOO: ERROR: can't open file <filename>

If I test the integrity of the zoo archive, it tests ok.

BTW:
The commands I use are "zoo -extract filename" and "zoo -test filename"
What gives?

  Mario Dona
  ...!{ !decwrl!qubix, ames!oliveb!tymix, pyramid}!wjvax!mario
  The above opinions are mine alone and not, in any way, those of WJ.

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) (08/12/89)

In article <1596@wjvax.UUCP> mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) writes:
>	overwrite <filename>? yes/no/all
>
>Since I'm extracting on an empty directory, this message doesn't make
>sense.

Don't forget that you are using MS-DOS and the usual laws of nature may
be occasionally suspended.  This is most likely to happen, for example,
if you have a device called CONFIGUR in your system, and later try to
extract a file called CONFIGUR.EXE from a zoo archive.

MS-DOS hates it if you have a device called by some name and you want
to create a file whose name before the dot is the same as the name of
the device.  There used to be a semi-documented CONFIG.SYS option to
require device names to be preceded by /DEV/ but it is no longer
there.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

bga@bgalli.eds.com (Billy G. Allie) (08/12/89)

In article <1596@wjvax.UUCP>, mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) writes:
> Occasionally when extracting zoo files, there will be one or two files
> that refuse to extract.  I get a message that reads something like:
>
> 	overwrite <filename>? yes/no/all

I will assume for the that you are using MS-DOS (I've seen this on MS-DOS,
but never on UNIX).  I have seen this error occur when I had DATAPATH (a
TSR utility that search a path for data file) loaded and the file being
extracted had the same name as a file in the data search path.  I believe
that MS-DOS 3.30 has a command called APPEND which performs this function.
Are you using such a utility?

> Since I'm extracting on an empty directory, this message doesn't make
> sense.  Yet, regardless of what answer I give, it comes back with
>
> 	ZOO: ERROR: can't open file <filename>

If you are using a utility such as DATAPATH, it is possible that write
permission is denied for the 'found' file.
utility
--
____	   | Billy G. Allie	| Internet..: bga@bgalli.eds.com
|-/-|----- | Dearborn, MI 48126	| Compuserve: 76337,2061