[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] bbs's, rn's??

I just saw that rbbs-pc (v 17.2B) was uploaded so SIMTEL20.  What bbs
software would you recommend for the PC under MS-DOS?  Also, is there
a version of "rn" that runs under MS-DOS?

Thanks much,
Rob Jaksa

jaksa@cpswh.cps.msu.edu		(csnet & arpanet)
JAKSA@MSUEGR			(bitnet)
...uunet!frith!jaksa		(uucp)

jarnot@canisius.UUCP (Kevin Jarnot) (08/17/89)

In article <4186@cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
> I just saw that rbbs-pc (v 17.2B) was uploaded so SIMTEL20.  What bbs
> software would you recommend for the PC under MS-DOS?

I have run several BBSs over the past few years, and my favorite is
still WWIV BBS.  It offers many sysop functions, large support, its own
network (WWIVnet), lots of 3rd party external programs, etc.  Plus,
all of my users say it is the easiest BBS to work with as a user.
If you'd like to see it in action, call my BBS, The Canisius College
BBS, at (716)883-2260.  You can also call the WWIV Main Board at
(213)208-6689.

> Thanks much,
> Rob Jaksa

No prob.

--
  ...!{decvax|watmath|allegra|rocksvax}!sunybcs!canisius!jarnot
                      jarnot@klaatu.cs.canisius.edu

gorpong@telxon.UUCP (Gordon C. Galligher) (08/23/89)

In article <2441@canisius.UUCP> jarnot@canisius.UUCP (Kevin Jarnot) writes:
>I have run several BBSs over the past few years, and my favorite is
>still WWIV BBS.  It offers many sysop functions, large support, its own
>network (WWIVnet), lots of 3rd party external programs, etc.  Plus,
>all of my users say it is the easiest BBS to work with as a user.
>If you'd like to see it in action, call my BBS, The Canisius College
>BBS, at (716)883-2260.  You can also call the WWIV Main Board at
>(213)208-6689.

The questions that I have, and I believe others out there may have them,
are in the summary line.  How does one get his/her hands on a copy of
the BBS, and does it require moola cash, or any cash?  Gracias.

		-- Gordon.

P.S.  While I'm on the topic, does anyone know of a BBS which can allow
	the sysop to actually do other work on the PC (which doesn't involve
	the serial port obviously) while still allowing the BBS to execute.
	I'm not talking about a pop-out shell because most times the caller
	or BBS will be suspended while he/she is working.  I'm looking for
	the same type of concept which 'backmail' uses (it is a TSR which
	handles the calling and answering of the phone while you are allowed
	to use your PC for other things).
	If this is an extremely generic question and you all know the answer,
	then I apologize.  I have been on BBS' before, but never run one.
	I would like to set one up now.

--
Gordon C. Galligher  <|> ...!uunet!telxon!gorpong <|> gorpong@telxon.uucp.uu.net
Telxon Corporation   <|> "What are ya standin' around for?  Don't ya know