[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] more

Has anybody written another version of more, for ms-dos, with some of
the options that are found in unix (like searching, showing percentage
of file shown, skipping forward/backward, etc.)?  If so, is it
available, and where is it?  Ken

P.S. If I had my druthers, it would be compatible with BSD 4.3 Unix.

P.P.S. Is it even possible to pipe input into more (or any other
program) and still get input from the keyboard in ms-dos?

In the rare case that original ideas   Kenneth J. Hendrickson    N8DGN
are found here, I am responsible.      Owen W328, E. Lansing, MI 48825
Internet: hendrick@frith.egr.msu.edu   UUCP: ...!frith!hendrick

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (08/29/89)

In article <4348@cps3xx.UUCP> hendrick@frith.UUCP (Hendrickson) writes:
>Has anybody written another version of more, for ms-dos, with some of
>the options that are found in unix (like searching

more/pg as supplied with the MKS Toolkit is essentially identical with
the BSD versions of more/pg.

less (a superset of more/pg) is available in both **IX and MSDOS
versions, complete with source code.

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (08/29/89)

In article <4348@cps3xx.UUCP> hendrick@frith.UUCP (Hendrickson) writes:
>Has anybody written another version of more, for ms-dos, with some of
>the options that are found in unix (like searching, showing percentage
>of file shown, skipping forward/backward, etc.)?  If so, is it
>available, and where is it?  Ken
>
>P.S. If I had my druthers, it would be compatible with BSD 4.3 Unix.
>
>P.P.S. Is it even possible to pipe input into more (or any other
>program) and still get input from the keyboard in ms-dos?
>
>In the rare case that original ideas   Kenneth J. Hendrickson    N8DGN
>are found here, I am responsible.      Owen W328, E. Lansing, MI 48825
>Internet: hendrick@frith.egr.msu.edu   UUCP: ...!frith!hendrick

This is really a reply to kenneth's question, but I thought some of the
rest of you might want to see it so decided to post.

I have written a version of more for MSDOS which is very much like
(although not identical) to those found on Unix systems. The impetus
was that I had at the time recently moved from a Unix shop to a
Primos (CTOS, etc.) shop which was very much anti-Unix, and sorely
missed having such tools. So, I found a good grep in Dr. Dobbs
Journal, and then proceeded to write my own more.

In the intervening four years it has been ported from CTOS to Primos
and MSDOS, and lots of features have been added, many of them making it
closer to the Unix original, and some are things which are not found
on Unix.

Verson 2.2G of my more was posted on c.b.i.p. a month or so ago. I have
since received reports of several problems and/or suggestions for
improvement from several people, so I am currently preparing a new
version (2.3G) to be released (I hope) within a month or two.

It is possible to pipe into more, even on MSDOS, although since MSDOS
is single-tasking, pipes are implemented serially rather than by
concurrent processes as in Unix. Nevertheless, it works--consequently,
you can also redirect a file into more, although I don't know why
you would want to.

In case you are able to pick up 2.2G and want to try it, I will tell
you here of a couple of the known bugs in it.

1. It is known to die a horrible death at startup if running on a very
fast machine, such as a 20 MHz 386, or something of the sort.

2. the -s option does not work correctly.

3. Firing up a sub-shell works in the general case, but depending
on how your system is configured it may not. (Command.com needs to be
on the path).

4. The option which is documented as +<number> is documented incorrectly.
It should be -w<number>

That, I think, is the list of main ones. Keep your eyes open for the
next version!

Fred

ODX@PSUVM.BITNET (Tim Larson) (08/29/89)

Although not compatible with **IX more, Vernon Buerg's list will do what
you want for MS-DOS machines.  You can pipe input in to list with the /s
option and get more features than you might imagine to manipulate the input.
(At least more features than I ever imagined!)  It's shareware, and available
on most BBS's as LISTnn.ARC where, I believe nn is currently 64 (v. 6.4).
Hope this helps.

-Tim Larson
odx@psuvm.bitnet