[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Diskette cataloger info request

SLORES@umiami.miami.edu (Stanislaw L. Olejniczak) (08/25/89)

I am getting de (-sperate, -pressed,...), and I am hoping someone can
suggest to me a program I am looking for.

I would like to find a DISK CATALOGER with options no one program so far I
have found seems to offer in this combination:

1.  diskettes catalog by DOS labels (no CP/M like -disk.num files)
2.  unlimited number of files (disk operation is obviously required; all
    programs I have found so far have memory operation only.
3.  Subdirectories cataloged
4.  output/input possible into/from standart PC database or other standard
    format files, so I can do mergings, splittings, whatevers.

Obviously, other goodies are most welcome, but I would just thrilled with
this much.  In the past several weeks I have downloaded from various BBS
maybe a dozen of diskette cataloging programs, but found nothing like the
above.  Some were wonderful, but would allow max 3000 files (that's about
how many diskettes I need to catalog), some would not catalog
subdirectories, some required -disk.num files, etc...
I am not opposed to a commercial program, and of course PD and shareware
are most welcome.

I have access to anonymous ftp, bitnet listserv functions, etc., even
though I am by far less than a novice on these.

With many and numerous thanks in advance,
----
Stan Olejniczak               Internet:         slores@umiami.miami.edu
University of Miami, FL USA   UUCP: (temp void) gould!umbio!solejni
SLORES@UMIAMI.BITNET          UUCP: (?)         umigw!gables!slores
Voice: (305) 547-6571         FAX: (305) 548-4612
My opinions cannot possibly represent the views of anyone else!

malpass@vlsi.ll.mit.edu (Don Malpass) (08/29/89)

In article <2082@umiami.miami.edu> SLORES@umiami.miami.edu (Stanislaw L. Olejniczak) writes:
>I would like to find a DISK CATALOGER with options no one program so far I
>have found seems to offer in this combination:....

Try downloading CATADD.ARC from simtel pd1:<hz100>.  It's
generic DOS and includes C source.  It's not as fast as I'd like it to
be, but I think it has the features you want, although I don't know
for sure if there is an upper bound to the number of files.
Also, for a while the .ARC was corrupted by containing a copy of
itself(!), and I've been too lazy to download it recently and see
if it's still screwed up.  Let me know how you make out.
--
Don Malpass   [malpass@LL-vlsi.arpa],  [malpass@gandalf.ll.mit.edu]
  Overheard at the North/South train platform in the Congo:

ph62303@tut.fi (Hartoma Petri Juhani) (08/29/89)

In article <2082@umiami.miami.edu> SLORES@umiami.miami.edu (Stanislaw L. Olejniczak) writes:
>I would like to find a DISK CATALOGER with options no one program so far I

I would recommend EasyCat file cataloger although it doesn't support
directories by it's own. But you can patch it to use a program which can
produce a directory listing like DOS's DIR but with subdirectories. Naturally,
you must make that program by yourself! ;->

Other catalogers (PmCat, CDisk, WSSi) that I have tried support directories
but they are limited by the amount of files, directories and disks.

It seems like somebody's got to do the dirty job and make The Program!

If you haven't tried EasyCat, you can find it from SIMTEL20 and if I don't
remember wrong, also from GRAPE.
							Petri Hartoma
--
$ Petri Hartoma, University of Technology, Tampere, Finland $
$ Internet: ph62303@alva.tut.fi                             $