[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] missing Borland parts

grinberg@bimacs.BITNET (Dennis Grinberg) (08/21/89)

A few weeks ago a bunch of Borland utilities were posted. The only ones
that we received were the hercules and vga256 drivers. We are therefore
missing the font editor, a description of creating BGI drivers, and
maybe something that I've already forgotten.

If someone could please send these things, I would greatly appreciate it.
(ao@infovox.se - thanks, but my mail to you bounced)

Thanks in advance,

--
Dennis Grinberg, Math & CS Department, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan ISRAEL
BITNET:   grinberg@bimacs.bitnet

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (08/21/89)

In article <1046@bimacs.BITNET> grinberg@bimacs.BITNET (Dennis Grinberg) writes:
>A few weeks ago a bunch of Borland utilities were posted. The only ones
>that we received were the hercules and vga256 drivers. We are therefore
>missing the font editor, a description of creating BGI drivers, and
>maybe something that I've already forgotten.

The entire Borland BGI package is available from SIMTEL20.  You can
order the files you need from your nearest TRICKLE server.  The files
are in the PD1:<MSDOS.BORLAND> directory.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives

grinberg@bimacs.BITNET (Dennis Grinberg) (08/24/89)

>The entire Borland BGI package is available from SIMTEL20.  You can
>order the files you need from your nearest TRICKLE server.  The files
>are in the PD1:<MSDOS.BORLAND> directory.
>
>Keith

Unfortunately there are still many of us out there in net land (or
should I say net world?) that can't remote ftp to anything except the
coumputer in the next room. How would I go about finding my nearest
TRICKLE server? What is a TRICKLE server?

Dennis

(P.S. this was not a flame!! thanks for the info!!)

--

conway@hpdtl.HP.COM (Daniel F. Conway) (09/01/89)

grinberg@bimacs.BITNET (Dennis Grinberg) writes:

| How would I go about finding my nearest
| TRICKLE server? What is a TRICKLE server?

I'll second the request.  I've never seen any mention of this on the net.

| Dennis
|
| (P.S. this was not a flame!! thanks for the info!!)

Likewise.

Dan Conway
dan_conway@hplabs.hp.com

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (09/03/89)

>| How would I go about finding my nearest
>| TRICKLE server? What is a TRICKLE server?

TRICKLE is the BITNET file server.  If your host is on the Internet you
should use FTP direct to SIMTEL20.  It is much faster than netmail and
places a lot less load on the network and host resources.

In the information below if you are NOT on BITNET you should use the
address listserv@vm1.nodak.edu, or if your mailer requires bang paths
then use vm1.nodak.edu!listserv.  Usenet readers may get to the server
by including your nearest backbone site that is also on the Internet.
See my signature for examples.  One path that works (but may be
expensive for your host because uunet charges for data it transfers) is:
uunet!vm1.nodak.edu!listserv.

                Accessing the SIMTEL20 archives from BITNET

                                                Updated 28 April 1989

     This document describes a method for users of systems connected to
BITNET to obtain files from selected archives kept at the MILNET node
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.  The information applies specifically to the
file servers installed at NDSUVM1 and RPIECS (formerly RPICICGE).  (A
similar service is provided to EARN by a set of servers collectively
known as "TRICKLE"; those servers accept similar, but not identical,
commands.)

Background

     The US Army maintains a huge collection of public domain (and
"shareware") software and information on WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL, a
DECsystem-20 machine running the Tops-20 operating system at White Sands
Missle Range, New Mexico.  The collection covers a spectrum of
interests, including files of interest to CP/M and MSDOS users.

     The collection is "open to the public"; anyone may obtain copies
of the files using the Internet file transfer protocol, FTP.  The bad
news is that FTP is not a protocol available over BITNET.  BITNET users
can not directly obtain files from the SIMTEL20 collection.  The good
news is that there are several file servers located  throughout BITNET
that will accept requests for SIMTEL20 files and perform the appropriate
file transfer on the requestor's behalf.  However, please understand
that...

     The BITNET servers that provide access to the SIMTEL20 archives
     have no affiliation with the US Army nor with White Sands Missle
     Range.  Also, the BITNET servers are made available in the true
     spirit of volunteerism (both of the institutions where they are
     installed and of the individuals that support them) without any
     outside sponsorship for the service.
Also...
     Due to the large number of files available, neither the archive
     archive maintainers at SIMTEL20 nor the server maintainers in
     BITNET can possibly attempt to validate the proper operation of
     the various programs.  When a program bug is reported to an
     archive maintainer, immediate action is taken to either correct
     the error or remove the offending program from the archives.
     Still, users must understand that archive programs are offered
     AS-IS, and the archive maintainers and server maintainers
     specifically disclaim any liability should these programs
     malfunction or cause damage, incidental or otherwise.  When
     testing ANY software, be certain that all information stored on
     disk is backed-up before you start so that you can recover if files
     are damaged or erased.  This is particularly true if you have a
     hard disk, in which case malfunctions can be spectacularly
     disasterous.

     The BITNET servers provide access to the following subset of the
software archives residing at SIMTEL20:

CPM     Software and information for CP/M system users.  Contributions
        are gathered from a variety of sources, including the members
        of the Info-CPM electronic mail discussion group.  This archive
        is updated very frequently.

MSDOS   Software and information for PC-DOS and MSDOS system users.
        Contributions are gathered from a variety of sources, including
        the members of the Info-IBMPC electronic mail discussion group.
        This archive is updated very frequently.

PC-BLUE Software and information for PC-DOS and MSDOS system users.
        The archive contains the files distributed by the PC-Blue Users
        group.  New files are added as they become available.

SIGM    Software and information for CP/M system users.  The archive
        contains the files distributed by the SIG/M Users group.  New
        files are added as they become available.

MISC    Software and information for miscellaneous systems (mostly
        large systems like IBM/370 and DEC VAX).  Contributions are
        gathered from a variety of sources.

SIMTEL20 path names, file names and file types

     The Tops-20 operating system supports a hierarchical file system
structure not unlike that found on Unix, Vax/VMS, and even MSDOS
systems.  At SIMTEL20, the software collection is divided into
individual archives by category, each with its own file system
directory.  The archives are subdivided by topic into sub-directories.
The following example is a typical path name for a SIMTEL20 file:

          PD:<MSDOS.STARTER>UUDECODE.BAS

Here, PD is the name of the disk where the archives reside.  (Well,
actually it is an alias for a group of disks PD1, PD2, and so on.)
MSDOS is the name for the archive; STARTER is a sub-directory containing
generally useful programs and information.  UUDECODE.BAS is the name for
one such file in the STARTER sub-directory.

     File names of files in the SIMTEL20 archives generally conform to
the conventions of the target system (e.g. CP/M and MSDOS).  From the
example above, UUDECODE.BAS is a uudecode program written in BASIC.
(MSDOS.STARTER also contains UUDECODE.PAS and UUDECODE.C, versions of
the same program written in Pascal and C, respectively.)  The model of
"name.extension" should be familiar to most.  Extensions of DOC, HEX,
INF and ASM are associated with ASCII text files; COM and EXE, with
binary executables.  However, in an effort to reduce the online storage
required by the files, and to organize software into packages, most of
the files at SIMTEL20 have been through some flavor of data compaction
and/or library utility.  The file extensions used for such beasts may
be less familiar to some:

ARC   a collection of related files compacted and collected together
      into a single package, and called an ARChive.  An un-archive
      utility is needed to extract individual files from the package.

ARK   exactly the same as ARC.  ARK is used in preference to ARC in
      the CP/M archives.

LBR   a collection of related files compacted and collected together
      into a single package, and called a LiBRary.  An un-library
      utility is needed to extract individual files from the package.

xQx   a file that has been compacted using a Huffman encoding method
      known as sQueezing.  The extension is derived from that of the
      original file with the letter Q substituted in the middle.  (An
      ASM file that was squeezed would be stored as AQM.)  An
      un-squeeze utility is needed to recover the original file data.

xZx   the same as xQx except that an LZW-variant method known as
      crunching has been used.  An un-crunch utility is needed to
      recover the original file data.

Most of the software for MSDOS systems are stored in the ARC format.
All four formats are used in the software for CP/M systems.  (ARK and
ARC represent the same thing, but ARK is the more commonly used name.)
Only a  few "first-time-user" type files (like UUDECODE.BAS) are stored
in their raw form.  The section below titled "Getting Started" gives
some guidance about handling them.

Using the BITNET Servers

     In the United States, there are two BITNET servers that provide
access to the SIMTEL20 archives:

          LISTSERV@NDSUVM1   North Dakota State University.
          LISTSERV@RPIECS    Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

--------Note--------Note--------Note--------Note--------Note-----------
     In Europe, there are many EARN servers.  However, the information
provided here is specifically for the BITNET servers.  The EARN servers
have a similar user interface and may accept the same set of commands,
but information about using them is beyond the scope of this document.
The locations of the EARN servers and the principle contact person for
each are:

          TRICKLE@TREARN    ("Turgut Kalfaoglu"   <TURGUT@TREARN>)
          TRICKLE@IMIPOLI   ("Marco Gandolfi"     <MARCO@IMIPOLI>)
          TRICKLE@BANUFS11  ("Michel Daulie"      <DAULIE@BANUFS11>)
          TRICKLE@AWIWUW11  ("Gustaf Neumann"     <NEUMANN@AWIWUW11>)
          TRICKLE@DB0FUB11  ("Wolfram Fassbender" <EARNIE@DB0FUB11>)
          TRICKLE@EB0UB011  ("Oriol Robert"       <ZCCBORR@EB0UB011>)
--------Note--------Note--------Note--------Note--------Note-----------

     Requests may be sent to a server as RFC822-style mail.  The
commands to the server must appear in the body of the message, not the
Subject: line.  The server uses the From: header to determine how to
address the files to be returned.  The From: header must therefore
specify a valid, reachable network address from the server's point of
view.  Mail received from outside BITNET, particularly from UUCP, often
have unusable return addresses.

     Requests may also be sent as interactive BITNET messages if your
system supports such a facility.  On an IBM system, this service is
provided by the TELL command, as in

          TELL LISTSERV AT nodename  servercommand

     The server does enforce some limits on how much can be requested
by whom and from where.  Requests from EARN are not accepted; they must
be delivered to the nearest TRICKLE server in EARN.  For others, the
server restricts how many files and how many bytes of data a user may
request per day.  It also restricts how many files and how many bytes
a host system may request per day.  The limits are changed on occasion, they are
but they are in the neighborhood of

     3 files/user/day            10 files/host/day
   100 Kbytes/user/day          300 Kbytes/host/day

There are some files that are larger than the per-day limit for a user
(or host) would permit, so the server does allow the first request from
a user (or host) on any given day to exceed the byte limit.  Also, the
"host" in this context means what appears after the at-sign (@) in the
return address.  Mailed requests that pass through a gateway usually
appear to be from that gateway host, and so the server applies its host
limits accordingly.

--------Note--------Note--------Note--------Note--------Note-----------
     Although requests are sent to the LISTSERV address, the requests
are actually processed by userid TRICKLE.  Files sent back to you will
be from TRICKLE.  Do not let this mislead you, though:  Your requests
must go to LISTSERV, and not to TRICKLE at either NDSUVM1 or RPIECS.

     In EARN, LISTSERV is not used, and TRICKLE does accept requests
from users.  NOT IN BITNET.  Your requests must go to LISTSERV.
--------Note--------Note--------Note--------Note--------Note-----------

THE /PDDIR COMMAND

The /PDDIR command is used to list the names of files that match some
pattern.  The command has several forms.  They are:

        /PDDIR
        /PDDIR  PD:<directory>
        /PDDIR  PD:<directory.subdirectory>filename.ext  age

     The first form lists the names of all the archives known to the
server.  At present these are CPM, SIGM, PC-BLUE, MSDOS, and MISC.  The
second  form lists the names of all the subdirectories in a particular
archive.  (The directory name must be one of the known archives: CPM,
SIGM, etc.)  The third form lists the names of files in the archive that
match a particular pattern.  The age parameter limits how old a file in
the archive may be and still be considered.  If omitted, the default is
30, meaning 30 days old.  The directory name must be one of CPM, SIGM,
PC-BLUE, MSDOS, or MISC.  The subdirectory, filename, and ext may
include asterisks ('*') a "wild-card" characters.  The following are
examples.

        /PDDIR PD:<MSDOS>  --Lists subdirectories in the MSDOS archive.
        /PDDIR PD:<SIGM.*>*.*   --Lists files added in the last 30 days
        /PDDIR PD:<MISC.VAXVMS>*.* 9999  --Lists VAX/VMS related files.
        /PDDIR PD:<CPM.*>UUDECODE*.* 9999  --Lists uudecoders for CP/M.

THE /PDGET COMMAND

The /PDGET command is used to request a specific file.  No pattern-
matching is allowed.  The syntax for this command is as follows:

        /PDGET  format  simtel.filename  encoding

     The format specifies how the file is to be transmitted.  Allowed
values are NETDATA, PUNCH, and MAIL.

     NETDATA  -- suitable for transfer to BITNET hosts that can accept
                 files in IBM Netdata format.

     PUNCH    -- suitable for transfer to BITNET hosts that can accept
                 files but cannot decode the Netdata format.  Files
                 are sent as 80-byte card-images.

     MAIL     -- suitable for transfer to hosts that can accept only
                 mail or are accessible to BITNET only through gateways.
                 Large files sent via mail are split into several
                 smaller files that the recipient must reassemble.

If the format is omitted, NETDATA is assumed for BITNET hosts and MAIL
for all others.

     The encoding specifies any special translation for the file data:

     ASIS     -- suitable for hosts that can receive binary data.  The
                 file is sent exactly as it is stored on the server:
                 binary images of the file data.  ASIS may be used
                 only with format NETDATA.

     UUENCODE -- suitable for hosts that cannot receive binary data.
                 The file is sent uuencoded.

     TRANSLATE -- suitable for any host, but only when the file actually
                 represents readable text.  The file is translated to
                 EBCDIC.  (If you are on an ASCII machine, then your
                 system should automatically translate to ASCII when
                 the file arrives.)  TRANSLATE applied to a binary file
                 is treated as if UUENCODE were specified.

If no encoding is specified, then ASIS is assumed for NETDATA, and
UUENCODE for the others.

--------Note--------Note--------Note--------Note--------Note-----------
     In the actual archives at SIMTEL20 there are a few files stored in
the top-level directory.  (For example, PD:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX is a file
listing the names of all the files in the subdirecotries of the MSDOS
archive.)  The design of the BITNET server does not permit access to any
of these files.  However, since the files at the top-level directory
generally contain directory information, the need for them is superceded
by the /PDDIR command.
--------Note--------Note--------Note--------Note--------Note-----------

Getting Started

     Before all else, something you absolutely must have available is
a method for getting files from your host system to you micro computer.
It would be preferable if this method included support for transferring
binary files as well as normal text files.  If you do not already have
a way to communicate with your host and transfer files, consider getting
the appropriate Kermit implementations available from the KERMSRV file
server at CUVMA.

     Once that minor detail has been addressed, then you should consider
what additional utility programs you will need or that will be helpful.
Most files are in an archive format, so you will need a de-archive
utility or two.  You may also need a uudecode program, depending on your
ability to receive binary files on your host and your ability to
download binary files to you micro computer.

     This last point requires some explanation.  The server stores all
files from SIMTEL20 as-is in 128 byte sector image blocks.  They are
bit-for-bit identical to how they should appear on your micro computer.
The server makes no attempt to interpret the files; it simply sends them
on demand out through BITNET.  BITNET, though, is fundamentally an
EBCDIC network, and your micro computer is fundamentally an ASCII
machine.  This gives rise to two places along the path from server to
micro where the file data might be misinterpreted or corrupted.

     If your host system is ASCII-based (as are most non-IBM systems)
it will translate incoming BITNET files from EBCDIC to ASCII.  If your
host is EBCDIC-based, your communications software will translate files
you download from EBCDIC to ASCII.  But the files from the server do not
contain EBCDIC data.  You must either find a way to disable the
translations or encode the data in such a way that the original file
can be recovered.

     There are suggestions given later for specific host machines to
disable the translations.  For now assume data encoding is required.
You can ask the server to send files in encoded from.  If you request
encoding, the file is encoded using a technique know as uuencoding.
Uuencoded data is preserved through most of the EBCDIC/ASCII
translations the file might encounter.  So, all you need is a program
for you micro computer that decodes a uuencoded file.

     There are several decoders available from SIMTEL20.  The only
problem is how do you get the program to your micro computer.  Catch-22.
Well, you can ask the server to send ASCII text files in translated
form.  If you request translation, a file is first translated to EBCDIC
before it is sent.  This is not recommended as a standard option since
there may be some loss of information, but for getting started it may
be essential.

     If you need a program for CP/M to decode uuencoded files, send the
following command to the server:

        /PDGET PD:<CPM.STARTER-KIT>UUDECODE.HEX  TRANSLATE

The file contains the CP/M hex data for the program.  Download it.  Use
the CP/M commands LOAD and SAVE to create an executable program.  You
should end up with UUDECODE.COM, the desired program.

     If you need a program for MSDOS to decode uuencoded files, send the
following commands to the server:

        /PDGET PD:<MSDOS.STARTER>UUDECODE.xxx  TRANSLATE
        /PDGET PD:<MSDOS.STARTER>UUENCDEC.DOC  TRANSLATE

Replace "xxx" with either BAS, C, or PAS depending on which source
language you would prefer (BASIC, C, or Pascal, respectively).

     Next, you should consider requesting which ever of the following
files you feel appropriate for your micro computer system:

For PC-DOS and MSDOS machines:
     PD:<MSDOS.STARTER>ARCE40C.COM       Un-archive utility.
     PD:<MSDOS.STARTER>ARCE40C.DOC       ..and the documentation.
     PD:<MSDOS.STARTER>UUDECODE.EXE      Compiled uudecode utility

For CP/M machines:
     PD:<CPM.STARTER-KIT>DELBR11.COM     Un-library utility.
     PD:<CPM.STARTER-KIT>UNARC.COM-Z80   Un-archive utility, Z-80 only.
     PD:<CPM.STARTER-KIT>UNARCA.COM-8080 Un-archive utility.
     PD:<CPM.STARTER-KIT>UNARC.DOC       ..and the documentation.
     PD:<CPM.STARTER-KIT>UNCR-Z80.COM    Un-crunch utility, Z-80 only.
     PD:<CPM.STARTER-KIT>UNCR8080.COM    Un-crunch utility.
     PD:<CPM.STARTER-KIT>UNCR8080.DOC    ..and the documentation.
     PD:<CPM.STARTER-KIT>USQ120.COM      Un-squeeze utility.
     PD:<CPM.STARTER-KIT>USQ120.DOC      ..and the documentation.

There are many other useful utilities in these and other archive
directories.  Remember, though, if you need the server to UUENCODE the
files you request, you should explicitly ask for it.  Also, some of the
programs listed above may be replaced by newer versions.  (For example,
ARCE40C.COM replaced the earlier ARCE31C.COM.)  If you have trouble with
the server claiming "file not found", use the /PDDIR command to list the
the appropriate directory.

     You may find two other files useful.  PD:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC
and PD:<CPM.FILEDOCS>SIMCPM.ARC contain one-line descriptions for many
of the  other files in their respective archives.  Not all files are
described, but it does contain enough valuable information to help you
find other software.

IBM System Users.

If your host is an IBM system running either VM or MVS, you can avoid
the need for uuencoding.  Files received from BITNET will not be
translated, since the IBM is an EBCDIC machine.  Most down-load methods
support binary transfer, so you can defeat the translation that would
otherwise take place there.  For example, with CMS Kermit the command
SET FILE BINARY is all the is required before initiating a download.
If you are using a 3270 emulator and IND$FILE for file transfers, by
default no translation takes place.

VAX/VMS Users.

If your host is a DEC VAX system running VMS, with Jnet as your network
software, you can avoid the need for uuencoding.  You can tell the Jnet
software to bypass the usual EBCDIC/ASCII translation, but there are a
few additional steps needed before downloading a file.

    *  Receive the file with the Jnet command RECEIVE/BINARY.  The
       BINARY modifier suppresses the normal EBCDIC/ASCII translation.
       For the sake of discussion, assume that the file is now named
       SOFTWARE.FIL.  This file, as received, is almost correct; but
       there may be an error in how VMS interprets the records.

    *  Generate an FDL file for SOFTWARE.FIL using the command

          ANALYZE/RMS/FDL  SOFTWARE.FIL

    *  Edit the FDL file with the command

          EDIT/FDL  SOFTWARE

       Examine the CARRIAGE_CONTROL setting.  Change it to NONE.  Exit
       from the editor.

    *  Use the edited FDL to correct carriage control interpretation
       errors in the original SOFTWARE.FIL.

         CONVERT/FDL=SOFTWARE.FDL  SOFTWARE.FIL  FIXED_SOFTWARE.FIL

    *  Download the FIXED_SOFTWARE.FIL as a binary file using any
       reliable means.  (For VAX Kermit, use the SET FILE TYPE BINARY
       command before starting the download.)

Common Problems

Q. I downloaded this program to my micro, but when I run it, my machine
   hangs (or I get the message "Out of Memory" or ...).

A. Either the file became corrupted in transit (perhaps one of those
   nasty EBCDIC/ASCII translations), or the file was uuencoded and you
   have not decoded it.

Q. I downloaded an archive to my micro, but the de-archive utility
   would not process it.  I get messages like "File not an archive" or
   "Cannot extract member".

A. Same comments as above.

Q. I really, really need to get these special files that I absolutely
   must have, but the server limits how much I can request per day.  Is
   there any way I can get around these limits for this one special case

A. No.

Q. I am trying to get a file from the (top-level of the) MSDOS
   directory.  /PDDIR won't list it, /PDGET claims it can't find it,
   but I know it is there.

A. It may well be there at SIMTEL20.  However, the BITNET server is not
   capable of handling any request for a file from the top-level of an
   archive.  Generally, though, the files stored at the top level list
   the contents of the archive.  The /PDDIR command can be used to get
   a directory listing.

Q. I have been requesting this same file repeatedly.  Each time the
   server tells me my request has been "queued for processing," then a
   few days later it sends me a message that it has "abandoned" my
   request.  Other requests it has been handling just fine.

A. The server does maintain a large "cache" of recently requested files.
   Many requests are satisfied from this cache.  However, for all the
   rest the server must fetch it directly from SIMTEL20 using the
   Internet file transfer protocol, FTP.  "Directly" really is not
   all that direct since the path between server and SIMTEL20 includes
   many network segments and gateways.  To complete a transfer, an
   error-free connection must be maintained for the duration of the FTP
   transaction.  This is not always possible, whether it be from some
   dysfunction along the path or heavy network load.  The server will
   retry a failed FTP transaction, but if it continues to fail, the
   server eventually gives up.

Q. I keep sending requests to the server.  I never hear anything back.

A. The server responses in some way to everything it receives.  Your
   requests may not be arriving, possibly because you are miskeying the
   server's network address.  Perhaps you are sending your requests to
   TRICKLE rather than LISTSERV.  Your requests may be arriving, but
   with an unusable "From:" field in the mail header, so the response
   never gets back to you.

Q. Gee, this public-domain/shareware stuff is the greatest.  How do I
   go about adding my own contributions?

A. Remember, the archives are actually kept at SIMTEL20.  The servers
   only provide access to them.  Contributions must be sent to the
   people there.  Send an electronic mail message to:

     "Keith Petersen"  <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

   Be sure to tell him what it is you have and what it is for.  After
   he verifies he does not already have it, you and he can negotiate
   methods for submitting the software.

Q. Hey, I have FTP on my system.  How do I go about connecting to
   either RPIECS or NDSUVM1 and fetching the SIMTEL20 files?

A. Two points about the servers have been missed.  (1) The servers are
   there to provide access to the SIMTEL20 archives for people WITHOUT
   FTP capability.  Users on hosts that do support FTP have the
   privilege of connecting directly to WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.  (2) The
   servers do not actually have a complete collection of the archives;
   only a varying set of recently requested files are stored locally.
   If you have FTP access to the Internet, connect to
   WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL and use anonymous login.

Q. Who do I contact with suggestions or unsolvable problems?

A. Depending on which server you normally use:

     "John Fisher"     <FISHER@RPIECS>
     "Marty Hoag"      <INFO@NDSUVM1>

   DO NOT send your comment or question about the server to the people
   at WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.  However, if you wish to report program
   bug or something similar about a SIMTEL20 file, you may send it to

     "Keith Petersen" <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil [26.2.0.74]
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (09/03/89)

If you are in Europe and your host is not on the Internet please use the
RED file servers to get files from SIMTEL20.  Here's how:

                        RED - Listserv Redirector
                (C)1988 Turgut Kalfaoglu <TURGUT@TREARN>

What is RED?
RED provides  the SIMTEL-20   files, and directory listings, with its own
cache, where  it keeps  its most recently requested files. It reduces the
network load  by providing the cache, and by providing directory listings
locally, instead  of through   a  distant list  server.. It  is a machine
(process) that runs disconnected from a terminal.
  Currently, the seven sites that run this  software are called:

In Denmark:   TRICKLE@DKTC11
In Turkey:    TRICKLE@TREARN
In Italy:     TRICKLE@IMIPOLI
In Belgium:   TRICKLE@BANUFS11
In Austria:   TRICKLE@AWIWUW11
In Germany:   TRICKLE@DB0FUB11 or TRICKLE@DTUZDV1
In Spain:     TRICKLE@EB0UB011

You are urged  to use the one that is  closer to your location.
In this  tutorial, we will  be using 'TELL TRICKLE  AT TREARN', but  this
can   be   replaced   with   'TELL   TRICKLE    AT    <your  location  of
preference>'

We also  will use  the 'TELL'  command to send a single line message.  It
should be  replaced with  whatever is appropriate for your system.  (Like
XMIT ,  SEND, etc.)  If you  are on  a node  that cannot  reach a TRICKLE
directly, for example, a JANET node, then you must send MAIL files to the
server. Simply  put the  commands, one per line, into the text portion of
your mail. If you are using MAIL, you do not need to put 'TELL TRICKLE
AT TREARN' in front of every command - every line has to begin with a
slash (all valid trickle commands begin with a slash).
You can also place more than one command per command file.

What Does it Provide?
A Milnet node, SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL at White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico
contains a  large selection  of public  domain and  'shareware' software.
This DECsystem-20  machine, running the Tops-20 operating system provides
many files of interest, especially to CP/M and MSDOS users.

The collection is open to public, anyone may obtain copies of this of the
files using  the Internet  file transfer  protocol,  FTP.  However,  this
protocol is  not available to Bitnet, or EARN sites. For this reason, two
servers in The United States, who have a connection both to Milnet and to
Bitnet, provide us with these files. However, since both of these servers
are in  The US,  the requests  of these  files puts a burdon on these two
servers. The  solution was  to create  a server here in Europe that could
provide the  files requested,  send the directory listings, and also keep
the recently  requested files,  in case  someone else  wishes to have the
same file.

We,  the  server  operators,  would  like  to  stress  that  we  have  no
affiliation with  the US  Army, nor with White Sands Missile Range. These
servers are  made available  in the  true spirit of volunteerism, without
any outside sponsorship for the service.

The Trickle, and The US servers support the following directories:

CPM  Software and information for CP/M users. Contributions are gathered
   from a variety of sources, including the members of the Info-CPM
   electronic mail discussion group. This archive is updated very
   frequently.
MSDOS  Software and information for PC-DOS and MS-DOS system users. This
   archive is updated very frequently.
PC-BLUE  Software and information for PC-DOS and MS-DOS system users. The
   archive contains files distributed by the PC-Blue Users Group. New
   files are added as they become available.
SIGM  Software and information for CP/M users. The archive contains the
   files distributed by the SIG/M Users Group. New files are added as
   they become available.
MISC  Software and information for miscellaneous systems (mostly large
   systems like IBM/370 and DEC VAX). Contributions are gathered from a
   variety of sources.

How does it work?

   It provides  faster file  delivery than  LISTSERV@RPIECS because  it
holds the  most recently  requested files, and it also asks its peers, to
find out if any of them has the file.

  It has two major commands.  /PDDIR and /PDGET..  As the names indicate
, /PDDIR provides the names of the files, and /PDGET delivers files.

How to use /PDDIR:
  On IBM/VM systems, you can get a list of the 'major directory' names by
simply typing this command:
                      TELL TRICKLE AT TREARN /PDDIR

RED should  now send  you a  list of the major directory names.  Now, you
can obtain a list of the sub-directories of any of the displayed names by
putting the  name between  less-than  and  greater-than  symbols..    For
example,
                  TELL TRICKLE AT TREARN /PDDIR <MSDOS>

RED will  mail you  a file  containing the  names of the sub-directories.
Once you  choose a  subdirectory to  examine, type  in the main directory
name, a  period, then the name of the subdirectory name.  For example, if
you chose SYSUTL sub-directory of MSDOS, then you may type this:
              TELL TRICKLE AT TREARN /PDDIR <MSDOS.SYSUTL>

RED will  first notify  you of  the number  of files  found, then will go
ahead and  mail you  this list..   Once you choose your file(s) to order,
then read on..

How to use the /PDGET command:
   Once you  have a filename in hand, then tell RED to send you this file
by providing  it with the full directory name, and the filename..  If you
wish to  order a game called MADMAX.ARC that resides in the <MSDOS.GAMES>
directory, then you may type in this command:
          TELL TRICKLE AT TREARN /PDGET <MSDOS.GAMES>MADMAX.ARC

naturally, the  above is  only an example, and the file may or may not be
present if you send the above command.

Receiving your file in a different format:
Normally, SIMTEL  files are sent AS-IS, meaning, ASCII. If you would like
to receive your file in a different format, you may want to append any of
the below to the end of any of your your commands:

(EBC80 Converts the file to 80-Column EBCDIC format
(EBC32 Converts the file to 132-Column EBCDIC format
(UUE uuencodes the file
(OLD Sends the file using DISK DUMP or PUNCH format
(SF Supresses BITSEND, and forces SENDFILE to be used for the transfer.
(MAIL Forces results to be sent via MAILER.  (This option is
   automatically added for MAIL command files)
(XXE  XXDECODES the file that is to be sent to you.
(HEX  Turns the file to HEX format - use it if even (XXE doesn't work for
   you.
(BTOA BTOA-Encrypts the file. Useful for Unix systems.

You may  also wish  to combine several options together.  For example, to
receive a directory listing in PUNCH format, and UUEncoded,
            TELL TRICKLE AT TREARN /PDDIR <MSDOS.C> (OLD UUE

To receive a file in in EBCDIC format, you may enter a command that looks
like this:
      TELL TRICKLE AT TREARN /PDGET <MSDOS.GAMES>MADMAX.ARC (EBC80

However, it  is not  useful at  all to  receive an  .ARC file  in  EBCDIC
format. The above is not a terribly good example.

Other commands:
/NEWS  sends you our 2-page newsletter.
/STAT  provides you the statistics of usage.
/HELP  sends you this file.
/IMDAT  sends   the  Turkish  version  of   this  help  file.  Note that
   this command is only valid for the TREARN server.
/CAC Sends  you a list  of the files  that are stored  on its disk right
   now. These files  can be sent  faster than the other files.
/OPS   displays the RED operators
/QUO Shows  you the RED's quota,  and how much of  that quotait has
   used.  Once  RED  exceeds its  quota,  it  cannot order files,  until
   it receives some  of the requested files.
/SUB <dirnam> Allows  you  to  subscribe to  a  directory.  Whenever a
   new listing  comes in,  RED  will send  you a  file containing the
   names of the new files.
/UNSUB <dirnam> is to stop RED from sending you the new files listings.
   Please issue this command  if you will not use the server anymore.
/NEW <dirnam> nnn This command, displays the files that have arrived
   within 'nnn' days, in the 'dirnam' directory.  If 'nnn' is omitted, it
   defaults to the last time you issued this command, for that directory.
   If you are issuing this command for the first time, then it simply
   looks for files that are at most a month old.
/POLL forces RED to check its peer servers

Delay Periods:
   If the  file that you requested already exists in the cache directory,
then you  may expect  to receive  your file within a few hours.  However,
the system  that RED  is running  is  often  slowed  down  by  the  other
processes that are running.  This negatively affects the response time of
RED.   If the  file requested  does not existin the cache directory, then
RED will  have to  order this file from its list server..  If this is the
case, the  response time  of RED  is dependent upon the list server.  RED
will give  up waiting  for a  file after  five to  twelve days  after its
request.

Sending files to RED:
   RED now accepts command files in MAIL, NOTE, or regular file format.
Use your system's (and yours) favorite utility to prepare your command,
and mail it to the server. If you are using MAIL, you may need to place
you specify, instead of your 'obvious' address.

The command files may contain any number of instructions, one per line.
These lines must all start with a slash, since all server commands begin
with a slash.

The server has  a 'likewise'  habit, and will MAIL back your files, using
the default UUENCODING,  unless you  tell it  otherwise, if  you request
your file via  mail. This  is done for those of us, who are not on Bitnet,
and keep forgetting to put the (MAIL at the end of the command.

How to DONATE files to Simtel Archives:
   Files that  you receive from here are sent from another network called
ArpaNet.   The person-in-charge  for  the  programs  is:  Keith  Petersen
<W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>. Since  it's another  network, you will need to
use MAIL  to send  the message. He urges that you talk to him before you
send in  the file,  so that he can  check where  it should be put, if it
already exists,  etc.   After getting  his approval, you need to UUENCODE
your file (perhaps using PDUTIL), then MAIL it to him.

Format of the files that comes with /PDGET command:

For the  below chart,  we shall  assume that  you  have  not  placed  any
conversion options at the end of your command.

If you have used:        You can expect the file to arrive:
'tell' style message:    BITSEND, NETDATA format.

MAIL command file:       UUENCODED, in numbered pieces.
A regular file, or       Just like 'tell' messages,
IBM's NOTE command:      replies in BITSEND, NETDATA.

RED will  send the files in  a NETDATA format, -unless  you use the  (OLD
option-.  On IBM systems, these files can be LOOKed and RECEIVEd, but the
PEEK command cannot handle NETDATA format properly.  However, since  most
files  are ASCII, it  is of little use to LOOK at them.

Since SIMTEL (and your personal computer) keeps its files in ASCII format,
so does TRICKLE. So, you may not be able to examine your file on the
VM system. However, some of the description files (recognized by their
names) can be ordered with the (EBC80 or (EBC32 option, if you wish to
look at these files on the VM.

The .ARC format:
  ARC is a special compression method that provides substential reduction
on file  size.   There are  one or  more files  contained within  an .ARC
archive.   In order to extract the files from an archive, you will need a
utility called  ARC or  PKXARC. These are  available from  <MSDOS.ARC-LBR>
directory.   The actual  file names of these files vary, but you may try:
TELL TRICKLE   AT   TREARN  /PDGET   <MSDOS.ARC-LBR>PK361.EXE or:    TELL
TRICKLE   AT   TREARN /PDGET  <MSDOS.ARC-LBR>ARC512.EXE If these attempts
fail, it will probably mean that the file version has changed, and so has
the file name.  You may wish to try
              TELL TRICKLE AT TREARN /PDDIR <MSDOS.ARC-LBR>
and guess the new name of these files.
Once you  receive either ARC or PKXARC and an .ARC file, transmit them to
your personal computer and issue the following command:
                          ARC X <filename.arc>
                                   or
                           PKUNPAK <filename>

There is  also a  second utility  called ARCUTIL,  which runs  on the  VM
systems, and extracts files.  It also provides ASCII to EBCDIC conversion
of the extracted files.  To request ARCUTIL, enter:
      TELL  TRICKLE  AT   TREARN  /PDGET  <MISC.IBM-VM>ARCUTIL.LBR

  The directories of SIMTEL change often.  So, the above files may or may
not be  in the  same directories as I have indicated.  So you may have to
do some  searching to  find them..   A  good place  to check would be the
<MSDOS.STARTER> directory,  where  additional  help,  and  the  mentioned
archive managers can be found.

How to use the BITSEND/BITRCV:

From now  on, RED is sending its files in a special format called BITSEND
- Unless you include the (SF option while issuing your command.
  In this format, the files that are sent are broken into smaller pieces,
if the  entire file  is too  big to  be sent.  If the file you request is
over the  size limit,  then the  server will first send you a file called
<fn> BITCTRL  - this  is the  control file, where BITSEND has written the
protocol used, the number of pieces that make up that file, etc.

Important:
You   should NOT  'RECEIVE' any  files that  have BITCTRL
or just numbers as filetype!

If you  wait a  little longer,  the rest  of the  file will  arrive,  the
filename will be the same as the <fn> BITCTRL file, but the filetype will
consist of  just numbers.  Once you have all the pieces that make up that
file, you  can then  issue the BITRCV command.  You must also specify the
'spool ID'  of the  file that has BITCTRL as filetype.  From RDRList, you
can simply type BITRCV in front of the file that has BITCTRL as filetype.
If you  get back  an error  message, saying  "UNKNOWN CP/CMS  COMMAND" it
simply states  that your  installation does  not have the BITRCV program.
Contact your network manager/system operator.
Note: BITRCV  EXEC can  be obtained  from your  country NETSERV  as well.
Simply send "GET BITRCV EXEC" to your NETSERV.

VAX users:
There is  also an  identical file  for your  installation, however, it is
called 'BITRCV  COM', and  can be  obtained from a NETSERV by issuing GET
BITRCV COM to your country NETSERV.

If you  get back  an error  saying that  not all  of the  file is  in the
reader, it  simply means  that you  have to  wait a little longer for the
rest of the file to arrive.

How to receive the file that arrives:
Once the file you requested arrives, and is stored on your disk, you will
most likely wish to 'download' this file to your personal computer. There
are many  types of mainframe computers, many kinds of personal computers,
so it  is impossible  for me  to give you direct, and precise directions.
However, here are some clues:
  * If you have a PC with a 3270 Emulation program, and an IBM mainframe,
   you should request your files from the server without options, or with
   (SF option, and use the built-in transfer protocol of the emulation
   program, without any options again.
* If you have KERMIT at your installation, request your file without
   options, or with (SF option, then set the KERMIT's FILE-TYPE to BINARY
   before transferring your file.
* Remember that if you send a MAIL command file to the server to request
   your file, the file will arrive in UUENCODE format, since the mailer
   cannot process binary files - unless you specify (XXE or (HEX in the
   command line.

How Does the Cache Work?
    Imagine that you ask for a file, and the server brings this file from
United States for you. Thinking that others may wish to have this file as
well, the  server keeps this file in an area called 'cache.' When someone
else requests  this file,  the server  simply uses the stored copy of the
file, instead of asking for the file again from overseas. All the servers
that you  see on  top of  this document  have different  files  in  their
caches. So,  if you wish to see the files they are holding right now, you
will have  to issue '/CAC' to each one of them. Note that a file does not
stay in cache forever. As new files arrive, the older ones are deleted to
make room.

The Amazing Life of a /PDGET request:
     Once you order your file via /PDGET, the server will first check its
local cache  listings. If  the file  is not there, then it will check the
SIMTEL20 listings  to ensure  that a such file indeed exists. After this,
the server  sends the  request to  all other servers, asking them if they
have your file in cache. If a server replies 'YES!', then that server has
to send  you the  file.   Everything fails: none of the servers have your
file, or  even some  servers don't  respond. Your  server  will  give  up
waiting for a reply in a day, and order your file from the United States.
Once the  file requested  arrives from there, it will be sent to you, and
put into the cache directory. Quite a trip for one /PDGET command.

Quotas, and Other Ugly Limitations
You may be surprised that even though most TRICKLE servers have some kind
of quota, we still get several hundred requests daily. Without them, this
number may  easily rise to thousands.  The impact of a such usage rate on
the local  computer can be very 'tiring.' So, the following quota schemes
have been implemented:
1) Total outstanding bytes quota: This quota is not really put by the
   server's operators. It is the amount that a TRICKLE server can order
   from The United States. This is currently set at 10 megabytes for most
   servers.
2) Prime times: Some of the servers, do not function during the day, they
   record the commands received, and process these commands later, when
   the load on the computer is low.
3) User request limitations: Most TRICKLE servers have a limit on how
   many requests a user can make on the server per day. The request can
   be a simple /OPS command, or a file order via /PDGET. It still counts
   as one. The server will warn you that you are approaching the limit,
   once you have 3 more commands left.
4) Outstanding files per user: This scheme is also employed by some
   servers, and it limits the number of files a user can order from The
   United States.
5) Delayed Sendfile: This last scheme is simple: it delays sending your
   file until a specified time comes. Usually at night, when the network
   load is low. If a site uses delayed sendfile, you will see a '* Your
   file will be mailed' notice, instead of '* Your file is being mailed.'

A Last Word on Options:
Some of  the options are not compatible, such as (MAIL SF, and should not
be used together - the behavior of the server may be unpredictable. Also,
the (SF  option may  result in  a file that is too large for shipment. If
that is  the case, a network control program may detect it, and delete it
before it reaches you. Use (SF carefully.
Also, (SF  and (OLD options would be ignored if you send in your commands
in a  MAIL file.  If you  wish to  receive your files AS-IS, and still be
able to  put your  commands in  a file, you can either send a NOTE to the
server, or  simply create  a file  using your editor, then send this file
directly to the server, without first going through the mailer.

VAX/VMS Users:

If your  host is  a DEC  VAX system  running  VMS  with  Jnet  networking
software, you  can avoid  the need  for uuencoding. You can tell the Jnet
software to bypass the usual EBCDIC/ASCII conversion, but there are a few
additional steps needed before downloading a file.
* Receive the file with the Jnet command RECEIVE/BINARY. The BINARY
   modifier suppresses the normal EBCDIC/ASCII conversion. Let's assume
   that the file is called MYFILE.ARC. This file, as received, is almost
   correct; there may be an error is how VMS interprets the records.
* Generate an FDL file for MYFILE.ARC using:

   ANALYZE/RMS/FDL MYFILE.ARC

* Edit the FDL file with the command

   EDIT/FDL MYFILE

   Examine the CARIIAGE_CONTROL setting. Change it to NONE. Exit the
   editor.

* Use the edited FDL to correct carriage control interpretation errors in
   the original MYFILE.ARC:

   CONVERT/FDL=MYFILE.FDL  MYFILE.ARC  FIXED_MYFILE.ARC

* Download the FIXED_MYFILE.ARC as a binary file using any reliable
   means. (For VAX Kermit, use SET FILE TYPE BINARY command before
   starting the download.)

Additional Help:

1) A Discussion List
   We now  have an  online discussion list that gives assistance on the
   server. To  join this  list, simply  send the following command to
   either LISTSERV AT TREARN, or LISTSERV AT DB0FUB11:
              SUB RED-UG My-full-name

   Remember that you can use MAIL to interact with both TRICKLE and
   LISTSERV, and if you do, you need to put the commands in the mail
   body, and not in the subject section, like some other servers.

2) Other online documentation on the server
   You may request additional documentation on the workings of the
   server by issuing:
                INDEX RED-UG
   to LISTSERV@TREARN. Then order any of the listed files via
                GET fn ft
   command to LISTSERV@TREARN

3) Human Help
   Also, you  may get in touch with your local TRICKLE operator. You
   can get his network address by using the /OPS command.

We wish you great benefits from using TRICKLE - we know that the software
it provides can accomplish that.