[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] VI for DOS

tmm@hp-sdd.hp.com (Tim McDonough) (08/26/89)

In article <130@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>Everyone keeps telling me there is a public domain VI clone
>for DOS (ug).  Any pointers would be helpful before I go
>bonkers.
>
>Thanks.
>--
>Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
>    amc-gw!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

I had a copy of a PD version of vi for the DOS.  I believe it came from the
simtel20 archives.  The only real hang-up I had with it was that it only
allowed the cursor keys on the number pad to be used to move in the
file, and I personally like to use the hjkl keys!!

                                 -Tim

* Hewlett Packard - San Diego Division                 Timothy M. McDonough   *
* 16399 W. Bernardo Drive                              1350 N. Esc. Blvd. #40 *
* San Diego, CA 92127                                  Escondido, CA 92026    *
* (619) 592-8657                                       (619) 489-7863         *
*                            tmm@hp-sdd.sdd.hp.com                            *

chad@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (D. Chadwick Gibbons) (08/26/89)

|In article <130@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
|>Everyone keeps telling me there is a public domain VI clone
|>for DOS (ug).  Any pointers would be helpful before I go
|>bonkers.

	the program STEVIE was just posted on comp.sources.misc - it's
	portable on a large number of systems, DOS included. it's about as
	good of a vi clone as you can get.  i can mail you the binrary if you
	have no access to a compiler or don't want to bother.
--
D. Chadwick Gibbons (chad@csd4.csd.uwm.edu)

mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) (08/26/89)

From article <2463@hp-sdd.hp.com>, by tmm@hp-sdd.hp.com (Tim McDonough):
> In article <130@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>>Everyone keeps telling me there is a public domain VI clone
>>for DOS (ug).  Any pointers would be helpful before I go

I seem to have got the responses before (or without) getting the
original inquiry.

Anyway, I use VI109 by Paul Vojta.  It isn't a perfect clone, since
some features beyond basic editing are not implemented, and the file
size is limited to 64K.  But the look and feel are genuine, except for
some "improvements" (e.g., Y is consistent with C and D, and you have
to use yy to be consistent with cc and dd).  Worst non-feature: the :!
command escape is not implemented.

It was posted Feb. 1989 in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d as Vol 1 Issue 150.
Source was not included.  There is neither a PD release nor a copyright
notice, but it is free.

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!hounx!marty1 or marty1@hounx.ATT.COM

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
	    explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.

art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) (08/28/89)

>In article <130@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>Everyone keeps telling me there is a public domain VI clone
>for DOS (ug).  Any pointers would be helpful before I go
>>bonkers.

The latest version of "stevie" from the minix archives does a very good
job of emulating vi.  It lacks some of the ex commands but they will
get incorporated eventually I'm sure.  Source is provided.  Check
either the comp.os.minix or comp.sources.misc news groups for the
latest posting.  If you have real difficulty, let me know and we may
be able to work something out.

		Art Dederick
		(714)966-3618
		{ccicpg,hplabs,spsd}!felix!art

  I tried to mail back to the original poster but it bounced. The VI is
on the archive server at sixhub. I'd mail it but I'm off on a trip and
won't be back for some weeks.

  Send mail to
	uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!archive-server
saying
	send help to YOURADDRESS
and	send index to YOURADDRESS

  Then order what you want. The address can be internet or uucp starting
with any mapped site (you don't need the whole path).

that the world is flat!" - anon

las) (08/28/89)

In article <3365@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) writes:
>From article <2463@hp-sdd.hp.com>, by tmm@hp-sdd.hp.com (Tim McDonough):
>> In article <130@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>>>Everyone keeps telling me there is a public domain VI clone
>>>for DOS (ug).  Any pointers would be helpful before I go

Two that I know of.

>Anyway, I use VI109 by Paul Vojta.  It isn't a perfect clone...

Yep, that's one of them.  The other, Stevie, is better - improvements
notwithstanding.  Especially V3.69 which was recently posted in
comp.sources.misc and which implements "some of the more common ex commands"
(quotation contingent on my memory and may not be precise).  Furthermore,
since it's shipped as source (portable to ST, PC, Minix, and Unix that I
know of), you can improve it as you see fit.

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (cbema!las@att.ATT.COM or att!cbema!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (08/29/89)

In article <9235@cbnews.ATT.COM> cbema!las@cbnews.ATT.COM (Larry A. Shurr,20650,cb,9a110,6148605851) writes:
>Yep, that's one of them.  The other, Stevie, is better - improvements
>notwithstanding.  Especially V3.69 which was recently posted in
>comp.sources.misc and which implements "some of the more common ex commands"
>(quotation contingent on my memory and may not be precise).  Furthermore,
>since it's shipped as source (portable to ST, PC, Minix, and Unix that I
>know of), you can improve it as you see fit.

I did pick up Stevie from the recent posting in c.s.m. Unfortunately,
for use on PClones it requires some recent version of nansi.sys which
I have been unable to locate. I have found three (3) different versio
of nansi.sys on local BBS's, but none of them appears to be the right
one for Stevie--at least when I run it on the Nec Powermate 386/20
at work I get a garbage screen, with valid text intermixed with
much garbage, and it does not scroll properly either.

Can someone point me to (or kind person mail me) the correct version
of nansi.sys??  I do not have FTP access to anywhere, so if somebody
would mail it to me I would be forever indebted!

Thanks

Fred Smith

kevin@neptune.AMD.COM (Kevin Tomasek) (08/30/89)

As long as nansi.sys is needed for the STEVIE software could this
file be posted/reposted.  There are some of us who have not proceeded
fast enough to realize that we are missing something.

Also,  What is a nansi.sys
	What is a TSR
	What is a curses/pccurses/....

Through all of the previous discussions I have yet to pick up what these
things are and their respective purpose/function.

Sorry if this is a menial question.

thanks...
kevin

Kevin Tomasek			 		kevin@neptune.amd.com
AMD - Advanced Micro Devices,  Austin, Tx	(512)462-5381

blanier@mips.COM (Brian Lanier) (08/31/89)

In article <1079@neptune.AMD.COM> kevin@neptune.AMD.COM (Kevin Tomasek) writes:
>Also,  What is a nansi.sys

	nansi/sys is a screen drive which is a superset of ansi.sys.
	I seem to recall that it allows cursor positioning, extend screen
	erasing, etc.  It is installed just like ansi.sys, in the config.sys
	file in a like like "device=nansi.sys"  I am not sure if it is Public
	Domain or not.

>	What is a TSR

	TSR is a maker of fantasy adventure games :-)

	TSR stands for terminate and stay resident.  Which is a type of program
	which loads itself, latches onto some method of reawakening (such as
	the timer of the keyboard interrupt) and then calls a special exit
	routine which does not reasslocate its memory back to the free memory
	pool.  These are also called memory resident programs.

>	What is a curses/pccurses/....

	cyrses is a set of routines, contained in a library which allow ascii
	terminals w/ screen control routines to partition the display into
	windows.  These windows are then easily controllable.  This approach
	allows for neat looking screen control (games, full screen editors,
	etc. )  ehile still offering device independence.

>Sorry if this is a menial question.

Sorry if this is a set of bad answers :-)

Brian Lanier
blanier@mips.com
Brian Lanier                           blanier@mips.com
Mips Computer Systems                  blanier@scueng.scu.edu
Sunnyvale, Ca                          (408) 991-0457

aladdin@lilink.UUCP (Eugene Choi) (08/31/89)

In article <1079@neptune.AMD.COM> kevin@neptune.AMD.COM (Kevin Tomasek) writes:
>Also,  What is a nansi.sys
>	What is a TSR
>	What is a curses/pccurses/....

 1)	nansi.sys is a IBM PC(?) "device driver" ( fancy name for a program
that becomes part of MSDOS ) for screens.  What it does is take certain
character sequences ( determined by some ANSI committee ) and translates them
into screen operations like clearing the screen, or moving the cursor to
a particular location on the screen.  The benefit is that you can write
programs that can work the same way on different machines.

 2)     TSR is an acronym for Terminate-Stay-Resident.  It is an expression
for programs that "reside" in memory ( rather than the hard disk ).

 3)	curses is a wonderful package of screen manipulation routines
written in C.  It can be quite handy for writing programs that manipulate
the screen.  pccurses is a version of the curses package.  If you don't
program, you'll never have to worry about it...

rogers@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) (08/31/89)

In article <1079@neptune.AMD.COM> kevin@neptune.AMD.COM (Kevin Tomasek) writes:
>Also,  What is a nansi.sys

   ( what is a TSR and what is curses have been answered well already )

   ANSI.SYS is a device driver that you install with the DEVICE=ANSI.SYS line
in your CONFIG.SYS file.  It comes with MSDOS and PCDOS.

   NANSI.SYS is a NEW ANSI.SYS that has a number of added capabilitys and
operates much faster.  It is shareware or PD.

   NNANSI.SYS is a NEW NEW ANSI.SYS  that is even better than NANSI.
It was posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc a couple of months ago and should
be available on many machines. (grape.ecs.clarkson.edu, simtel20.army.mil)
It has the advantage that it uses tricks to scroll the screen at a much
greater rate.  Also, it comes with source (assembly language).
NNANSI.SYS also handles strange video modes, like 56x100 text,
or any other that you can put your vidieo card in.

There are also many others: FANSI.SYS, ZANSI.SYS, EANSI.SYS that have
about the same capabilitys of NANSI.SYS.

 Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC        rogers@src.honeywell.com
 work 612-782-7577 home 874-7737

las) (09/02/89)

I'm nearly finished with a set of updates to STEVI369 posted recently
to comp.sources.misc which allows you to create a version which uses the
ROM BIOS and does not need NANSI.SYS or NNANSI.SYS.  The license pro-
visions for nansi & nnansi preclude their commercial use which may be
a problem for some people.

43 and 50 line support is included both for nansi/nnansi and BIOS versions.
Actually, support for different displays is nearly there already.  All I
did was add some code to change the display mode - there is, however, no
automatic sensing of the screen mode and exiting from STEVIE causes the
display to revert to an ordinary 25-line mode.  Thus, my additions do not
make for complete multiple screen format support either.

There will also be TI Pro support.  When completed, I will post diffs and
I will send same to Tony Andrews to incorporate if he wishes.

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (cbema!las@att.ATT.COM or att!cbema!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave
(With apologies to the real thing.  The above represents my views only.)
(Please note my mailing address.  Mail sent directly to cbnews doesn't make it.)

wnbell@sybil.cs.buffalo.edu (William Bell) (09/08/89)

My 80386 based computer runs a lot of games TOO FAST! Is there
a program on SIMTEL20 for example, which will let me slow
down my 20 MHZ PC? I even tried turbo off and still way too
fast!!  Thanks in advance.

Out Of Touch BBS - 716-825-4268 from 8pm-8am!
 FIDO 1:260/170... Online games!