[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] FTP or not to FTP

ballen@pnet07.cts.com (Bruce Allen) (09/04/89)

I come from a site without FTP. I suspect a great many of the the readers of
this group are in a like situation.
my question goes like this.  Is there an archive site that works through
mailers. (uucp...f.e.)?

I know that on other binary groups there are sites that have automatic archive
systems that search through the text of mail addressed to it for "tokens" that
decode into an action.
        for instance, ----a letter with the text of

send foobar.uue seoiur!dslcnb!dskjh1!@sksksk.mil (billy bob)

would cause file fobar [encrypted in uucode] to be mailed to billy bob.

Does such a site for ibm.pc exist?

thanks.
culater.

UUCP: nosc!pnet07!ballen
ARPA: simasd!pnet07!ballen@nosc.mil
INET: ballen@pnet07.cts.com

In article <11@simasd.UUCP> ballen@pnet07.cts.com (Bruce Allen) writes:

   I come from a site without FTP. I suspect a great many of the the
   readers of this group are in a like situation.  Is there an archive
   site that works through mailers?

No.  Rahul has mentioned something about setting up a site for anonymous
UUCP, which grape.ecs.clarkson.edu doesn't do.  What is the problem with
simply calling grape.ecs.clarkson.edu by modem, and using XMODEM, YMODEM,
or ZMODEM to download whatever you want?
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])|(70441.205@compuserve.com)|
       (Russ.Nelson@f360.n260.z1.fidonet.org)|(BH01@GEnie.com :-)

garym@ulysses.UUCP (Gary Murphy) (09/09/89)

In article <NELSON.89Sep3214210@sun.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>What is the problem with
>simply calling grape.ecs.clarkson.edu by modem, and using XMODEM, YMODEM,
>or ZMODEM to download whatever you want?
>--

A terrific idea! Are there any other sites which can be called directly?
--
     Gary Murphy - Cognos Incorporated - (613) 738-1338 x5537
  3755 Riverside Dr - P.O. Box 9707 - Ottawa Ont - CANADA K1G 3N3