[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] PKZ101.EXE

Nanook@tlsi.FIDONET.ORG (Keith Dickinson) (09/03/89)

WARNING: When PKZIP 1.01 is run in 256k or less memory it has a tendancy to create CRC errors in the compressed code. The only way to ensure that this hasn't happened is to test the ZIP afterwards as the software gives no warning.

This is dangerous to any BBS users who allocate 256k or less memory for their BBS under a multitask.

Keith

--- msged 1.99S ZTC
 * Origin: TLSI: The DFW/Usenet Gateway  (1:124/2202)
--
          __     Fidonet : 124/2202 [(214) 399-0094 PEP]
         /  \    Internet: nanook@TLSI.Fidonet.Org

katz@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Phillip W Katz) (09/12/89)

In article <9.250168AF@tlsi.FIDONET.ORG> Nanook@tlsi.FIDONET.ORG
(Keith Dickinson) writes:

>WARNING: When PKZIP 1.01 is run in 256k or less memory it
>has a tendancy to create CRC errors in the compressed code.
>The only way to ensure that this hasn't happened is to test
>the ZIP afterwards as the software gives no warning.
>
>This is dangerous to any BBS users who allocate 256k or
>less memory for their BBS under a multitask.
>
>Keith

May I suggest that perhaps there is some other conflict in
your system?  I have personally tested PKZIP 1.01 on several
machines with available memory anywhere from 80K to about 550K
with no problems.  Moreover, I know several dozen people offhand
who use PKZIP 1.01 with BBS systems and multitaksers in limited
memory, again with no problems.  In fact, the PKWARE Support BBS
(414)-352-7176 runs under DESQview and PKZIP is shelled to from
inside one of the BBS's doors all the time without any errors.

What BBS are you using?  What multitasker?  What other memory
resident programs are you running?  Where did you get your
copy of PKZIP from?  (Is it registered? :-)

May I suggest that before you go posting articles like this
on (inter)national networks that you verify the facts, and
perhaps give PKWARE a call voice (414)352-3670 to discuss any
problems that you might be experiencing?  Thanks.

Phil Katz
PKWARE Inc.
Voice: 414-352-3670
FAX:   414-352-3815
PKWARE BBS: 414-352-7176
U.S. Mail: 7545 N. Port Washington Rd., Glendale, WI 53217