[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Language Translator

himage@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Steve Schwartz) (08/23/89)

I am looking for a program or a utility, that will translate foreign
language text files to english (particularly french to english).

If anyone has heard of anything like this, or has one, please let me
know, and/or send it to me, please.

email: himage@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US

martin@mplvax.EDU (Martin Olivera) (08/23/89)

In article <1374@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US>, himage@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Steve Schwartz) writes:
> I am looking for a program or a utility, that will translate foreign
> language text files to english (particularly french to english).
>
> If anyone has heard of anything like this, or has one, please let me
> know, and/or send it to me, please.
>
> email: himage@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US
There is a company in La Jolla, California that specializes
in machine translation. You should contact:

Systran Translation Systems, Inc.
1055 Wall Street, Suite 213
La Jolla, CA 92037
(619)459-6700
Fax: (619)459-8487
Telex: 9102400909

Ask for Alan Portela (Marketing)

They developed software that translates several languages
to English and vice-versa.

Good luck.

simcha@kurz-ai.UUCP (Simcha Lerner) (08/24/89)

I would be careful of using computerized translators.  I remember
the early attempt at an english-russian tranlator that when
the phrase "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" was
translated to russian and back gave out "The vodka is good but the
meat is spoiled."

:-)

--
Simcha Lerner
Kurzweil Applied Intelligence

PLEASE NOTE ADDRESS: NO RETURN MAIL VIA bbn PLEASE

UUCP address:	kurz-ai!simcha@talcott.harvard.edu
	  or:	...{uunet,rutgers,ames}!harvard!talcott!kurz-ai!simcha

In article himage@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Steve Schwartz) writes:
>I am looking for a program or a utility, that will translate foreign
>language text files to english (particularly french to english).

You're asking for an awful lot!  I don't think such a thing exists
except in a very rudimentary form.  Natural languages are just too
complex.  My guess for this sort of thing would be to contact Wycliff,
the Bible translating people.

However, maybe it exists and I'll be (very) pleasantly suprised.

In the rare case that original ideas   Kenneth J. Hendrickson    N8DGN
are found here, I am responsible.      Owen W328, E. Lansing, MI 48825
Internet: hendrick@frith.egr.msu.edu   UUCP: ...!frith!hendrick

martin@mplvax.EDU (Martin Olivera) (09/11/89)

In a recent article raph@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk (Raphael Mankin) writes:

"Systran will handle most European languages and even
 American. It requires very large, not to say huge, IBM
 mainframes to run and will cost accordingly. This is a
pure batch system."

No it is not. Systran provides a network service. All you
have to do is set up an account and they will send you a
floppy with a communications program that will allow you to
 send text from your own PC at home or office. The text will
be processed in their own mainframe an returned to you.
 You can even create and maintain your own dictionaries
(databases with terminology particular to your trade). I
think this is only available in the USA and CANADA. Anyway,
I used the French to English with good results. You'll
always need some editing on the translated text, but is
still faster than having a translator go over the whole
thing. Particularly for large volumes of text.
I was impressed with their system and customer support.
If you need more information talk to:

Alan Portela

heiby@falkor.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (09/12/89)

Martin Olivera (martin@mplvax.EDU) writes:
| In a recent article raph@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk (Raphael Mankin) writes:
| >  This is a pure batch system."
|
| No it is not. Systran provides a network service.
|  send text from your own PC at home or office. The text will
| be processed in their own mainframe an returned to you.

If it looks like batch, sounds like batch, smells like batch, and
tastes like batch, then it probably really is batch.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@chg.mcd.mot.com	Moderator: comp.newprod
"Life is indeed an inexplicable sequence of imponderable surprises."

martin@mplvax.EDU (Martin Olivera) (09/13/89)

In article <188@falkor.UUCP>, heiby@falkor.UUCP (Ron Heiby) writes:
> Martin Olivera (martin@mplvax.EDU) writes:
> |  send text from your own PC at home or office. The text will
> | be processed in their own mainframe an returned to you.
>
> If it looks like batch, sounds like batch, smells like batch, and
> tastes like batch, then it probably really is batch.
> --
Hi Ron:
You are right. However, I just talked to SYSTRAN and they told
me the have developed a stand alone system that works in any
AT or compatible. My guess is that speed will not be one of
their strengths, but it's you own system ...

                           Martin