[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Are there PostScript --> Epson graphics filters?

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (09/06/89)

I apologize for the somewhat widespread of this posting, but my question
might find informed readers in one of these three arenas.

My question is, does anyone know of the existence (either commercial or
public domain or even shareware) of a program that will filter/translate
PostScript code to Epson LQ graphics codes?  I am interested in either
those for Unix or MSDOS.  I really am not certain what would be involved,
although font emulation would definitely be a consideration.  My justification
for seeking this information is that MSDOS systems like PageMaker and
pfs:First Publisher are able to generate various fonts, styles, and
point sizes (and bitmap graphics as well) for the LQ line fairly nicely.
It seems that such a thing should be possible with PostScript too.

I would really like to hear from anyone who knows of such products.
You may email to my address below if you like and I will summarize
if enough interest is generated.  Maybe my question is naive in the
sense of difficulties I don't realize about tackling such a task.  If so,
I would enjoy hearing comments, etc., on those as well.

Thanks in advance!

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Ya'll com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 ___________________________

There is a company that produces something called GoScript, which is
supposed to do this.  However, I'd like to see something show up on the
shareware market, cuz I'm a poor student and I can't afford their $200
price tag.  I have thought about writing a PS interpreter for my
printer, but I haven't gotten around to it (yet).

In the rare case that original ideas   Kenneth J. Hendrickson    N8DGN
are found here, I am responsible.      Owen W328, E. Lansing, MI 48825
Internet: hendrick@frith.egr.msu.edu   UUCP: ...!frith!hendrick

David.Cargo@terrabit.FIDONET.ORG (David Cargo) (09/12/89)

There is a product called Freedom of Press that has been reviewed in some
of the PC Publishing magazines.  It supports about 50 different output
devices including dot matrix printers (and color printers too).  It lists
for about $495, requires a math coprocessor and .5M of EMS memory.  Also
not that a recent InfoWorld indicated that Epson was licensing a
PostScript to Epson product that will be bundled with high-end printers
and may be oferred to present Epson printer owners (terms yet to be
decided).  I've also seen the GoScript product, which also runs much
better with a math coprocessor and EMS memory.

--
David Cargo -- Via FidoNet using ufgate at 1:282/341
INTERNET: David.Cargo@terrabit.FIDONET.ORG

johngm@dhw68k.cts.com (John Miller) (09/17/89)

In article <4506@cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
> There is a company that produces something called GoScript, which is
> supposed to do this.  However, I'd like to see something show up on the
> shareware market, cuz I'm a poor student and I can't afford their $200
> price tag.  I have thought about writing a PS interpreter for my
> printer, but I haven't gotten around to it (yet).

I just started using GoScript and am very very impressed, everything I have
thrown at it has worked incredibly well.  I use it to produce drafts of
work on an old Star SG-10 and the output on that is better than any program
I have seen.  My final work is output on a Panasonic KXP-1124 24 pin printer.
The quality in astounding!  This printer can produce 360 dpi res. But the
only program I have seen that uses this capabilities is GoScript.

UUCP -- johngm@dhw68k.cts.com