[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Screen Blankers

floyd@starsend.UUCP (Floyd Miller) (09/18/89)

I, too, am interested in finding a screen blanking program.
However, rather than displaying a fixed image I'm looking for
a way to have the screen blanker invoke a specified program
that would display a moving image to avoid phosphor burn-in.
Something like "life" or "fishes".

This could be similar to the "lock" program that comes with
Sun's Unix.  Perhaps it requires multi-tasking?  So rather
than a TSR it could be a DesqView or MS-Windows backgound job.

Ideas?

*******   *************************************
*****  ********************** Floyd Miller
***  ***************
*  ********* floyd%starsend@PRC.Unisys.com
  *** starsend!floyd@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.com
*

roper@cs.washington.edu (Michael Roper) (09/20/89)

Floyd Miller writes:

> I, too, am interested in finding a screen blanking program.
> However, rather than displaying a fixed image I'm looking for
> a way to have the screen blanker invoke a specified program
> that would display a moving image to avoid phosphor burn-in.

hDC Windows Manager includes (among many other features) three
different styles of screen savers for Microsoft Windows.  One
is called "Polygons" which displays "streaming" polygons in
various colors on a black background.  The user can control
the number of polygons in the stream and the number of sides
per polygon.  The second is called "Rocks" and displays an
animated asteroid field which the user can navigate through
with the mouse.  The third type of screen saver lets the user
paste in a bitmap of choice which is then "bounced" around the
screen.

Michael Roper
hDC Computer Corp.

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (09/21/89)

There is an MS WIndows application called Firework which provides an animated
display while the screen is blanked. It's shareware and is available from
Synergistic Enterprises, 8033 Sunset Blvd, #975, Los Angeles, CA 90046,
(213)852-1688. Cost is $5-10. The same company produces GCP (formally easel)
which does graphic file conversions.
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983