[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Simtel to PC troubles

saroff@jvncf.UUCP (Steve Saroff lac00001) (09/05/89)

I am having trouble with the Simtel archives.  I ftped some .ARC and a
.EXE self unfolding archive and then donw loaded the buggers to my
AT vi kermit.

However, I couldn't read the .ARC files (granted I was using the evil
PKARC program) and the .EXE file did not run.

Am I doing somethig stupid, or is this a know problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
			SzS
Dr. S.Z. Saroff

                o o
                (_)____o
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(_____)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  oo oo          The Bear who Swims

pfratar@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - Department of Computing Services) (09/05/89)

In article <568@jvncf.UUCP> saroff@jvncf.csc.org.UUCP (Steve Saroff lac00001) writes:
>However, I couldn't read the .ARC files (granted I was using the evil
>PKARC program) and the .EXE file did not run.
>--
>			SzS
>Dr. S.Z. Saroff
>John von Neumann National Supercomputer Center   bitnet:   saroff@jvncc

Hi,
	The first two problems I can think of off the bat are:
1, Did you specify `tenex' when ftping from simtel20 and 2, Did you
specify `set file type binary' when using KERMIT?

	These two were usually the reason when I have had troubles like
yours.

	Hope this helps.

....Paul F

            Paul Frattaroli - Department of Computing Services
                        University of Waterloo
< pfratar@watshine.waterloo.edu >         < pfratar@watdcsu.waterloo.edu >

kinch@uwovax.uwo.ca (09/06/89)

Sorry folks but the mailer bounced:

> Am I doing somethig stupid, or is this a know problem.

This is know (i mean no) bug. he he he

Actually there are two possibilities that come to mind. First the
obvious did you tell FTP to use binary transfer mode? On most systems
that I have used it is as simple as saying:
BINARY   or  maybe   IMAGE. Most FTP servers use ASCII mode by
default.

The other problem which I have encountered is not so easy to fix,
however the symptoms are different. As I am sure you are aware every
system has its own way of storing disk files. Sometimes the two FTP
sites have incompatible storage devices. I have noticed this only when
using our VAX (running VMS) but usually when this happens the files do
not make it over at all. There is no way to fix this problem, as far
as I know, but if you can gain access on another machine it may help.

> Any help would be appreciated.

Hope this is the kind of help you wanted!

OAB> --
>
>                 o o
>                 (_)____o
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(_____)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>                   oo oo          The Bear who Swims

love the drawing,   cheers  kinch
--

Dave Kinchlea                        :INTERNET-  kinch@uwovax.uwo.ca
Consultant                           :BITNET  -  kinch@uwovax

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (09/06/89)

In article <3753@uwovax.uwo.ca> kinch@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
This one was in reply to problems in transferring .arc files to a PC:
>Actually there are two possibilities that come to mind. First the
>obvious did you tell FTP to use binary transfer mode? On most systems
>The other problem which I have encountered is not so easy to fix,
.... then describes a relevant, but perhaps a less common failing

There is a also third user error, which is very common according to
my experience with queries from the users.  That is failing to set
the parity right when transferring files from a mainframe to the PC.
Eg if one uses MsKermit one should have the same parity at each end.
Else one gets .arc (or whatever) files which appear to be damaged,
even if they are perfecty ok on the mainframe.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (09/06/89)

Re: SIMTEL-PC downloading problems

When downloading binary stuff from SIMTEL, you have to use "tenex" mode
for the FTP transfer, not "binary".  I think this is because SIMTEL is a
VAX box with 36-bit words, whereas most of the UNIX boxes use 32-bit
words.  MSDOS can handle 32-bit words so "tenex" is needed there too.
I suppose if you were moving from VAX to VAX, then "binary" would be
appropriate.

gordon@boulder.Colorado.EDU (GORDON ALLEN R) (09/06/89)

To: saroff@jvncf.csc.org.UUCP
Subject: Re: Simtel to PC troubles
Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
Bcc:

To: saroff@jvncf.csc.org.UUCP
Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
Bcc:

In article <568@jvncf.UUCP> you write:
>I am having trouble with the Simtel archives.  I ftped some .ARC and a
>.EXE self unfolding archive and then donw loaded the buggers to my
>AT vi kermit.
>
>However, I couldn't read the .ARC files (granted I was using the evil
>PKARC program) and the .EXE file did not run.
>
>Am I doing somethig stupid, or is this a know problem.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>--
>			SzS
>Dr. S.Z. Saroff
>John von Neumann National Supercomputer Center   bitnet:   saroff@jvncc
>665 College Road East, P.O. Box 3717             internet: saroff@jvncc.csc.org
>Princeton, NJ 08543   (609) 520-2000                       saroff@jvncf.csc.org
>
>                o o
>                (_)____o
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(_____)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>                  oo oo          The Bear who Swims

You did not mention the type of machine you are using and I believe this will
determine the more of transfer used, either binary or TENEX.  Also, when you
download with kermit use SET FILE TYPE BINARY on host machine prior to down-

Regards

Allen Gordon

floyd@starsend.UUCP (09/08/89)

Simtel20 is a TOPS10 or TOPS20 machine or something like that.
Whatever, it's word size is not a multiple of 8 bits and transfers
from such machines require reformatting of each character.  FTP
will do this for you if you use tenex mode - not binary.
Use the "tenex" FTP command.

cug@db2.CS.Concordia.CA (User Group) (09/21/89)

In article <6282@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> pfratar@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - Department of Computing Services) writes:
>In article <568@jvncf.UUCP> saroff@jvncf.csc.org.UUCP (Steve Saroff lac00001) writes:
>>However, I couldn't read the .ARC files (granted I was using the evil
>>PKARC program) and the .EXE file did not run.
>>--
>>			SzS
>>Dr. S.Z. Saroff
>>John von Neumann National Supercomputer Center   bitnet:   saroff@jvncc
>
>Hi,
>	The first two problems I can think of off the bat are:
>1, Did you specify `tenex' when ftping from simtel20 and 2, Did you
>specify `set file type binary' when using KERMIT?
>
>	These two were usually the reason when I have had troubles like
>yours.
>
>	Hope this helps.
>
>....Paul F

Hi there,
	I have also had trouble with SIMTEL20, but it is intermitent, and only
with some of the files stored there. Generally I can retrieve anything without
problems, but certain files I can never get across complete. For example,
there is a file called "VMIX151.ARC" that, no matter what I do, I can never get
complete, only 1 byte missing consistently every time. obviously, one of the
files can never be properly dearchived. So, anybody out there knows what is it
with this file, for example ???

G. Vegas.

  ===  =   =  ===      Computer Users Group
 =   = =   = =   =     Concordia University
 =   = =   = =         Sir George Williams Campus    Electronic Mail:
 =     =   = =  ==     1455 de Maissoneuve West      cug@cspolo.cs.concordia.ca
 =   = =   = =   =     Montreal,Quebec               cug@db1.cs.concordia.ca
  ===   ===   ===      Canada - H3G 1M8