[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Wanted : PC utilities

jim@aeshq.UUCP (jim) (09/19/89)

This has probably been requested many times before... but, I haven't seen it
in the few weeks that I have been reading so...  Please forgive.

I have been using HP-UX at work for a while, and when I go home I use my PC
compatable.  I don't mind DOS so much, it's just that I miss having the use
of some utilities.  It would be nice to have utilities like grep, wc, diff,
(un)compress, tar, make, du, mv (including dirctories), scrolling back the
screen, etc.

Has anyone written or have programs such as these available to the public?

Maybe even a man pages program for these (and perhaps other DOS commands too).

I am running DOS 3.3 on a 286 machine and would love to make DOS a little
more fun.

I would check local BBS's but I don't have a modem :-( (That's worse than
having a 300 baud one (but not much :-), and friends don't seem to have any.

Any help in this quest is appreciated.

               Jim Roberts

P.S.  What was the result with the request not so long ago for a password
      system for the PC's that didn't allow bypassing through softdisk?
      I would love to find something like that in the public domain.

--
Jim Roberts {utgpu,mnetor}!geac!aeshq!jim |
Environment Canada                        |"Now that's entertainment!"

RR.MAX@forsythe.stanford.edu (M A Fisherkeller) (09/22/89)

In article <292@aeshq.UUCP>,
jim@aeshq.UUCP (jim) writes:

>compatable.  I don't mind DOS so much, it's just that I miss having the use
>of some utilities.  It would be nice to have utilities like grep, wc, diff,
In the absence of a modem, contact one of the shareware
dealers in your area, or the one I can recommend
unconditionally,
   Public Software Library
   (800) 242-4775

They also publish a monthly, extremely informative newsletter
on shareware and topical software.
All the disclaimers apply, I'm a very satisfied customer.
Tony Roder  TONY@SLACVM (BITNET)