[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] pkarc/pkxarc and/or pkzip/pkunzip for unix

Is pkarc/pkxarc and/or pkzip/pkunzip available for Unix systems?  I am
looking for software which is compatible with the IBM PC versions.  This
would be really slick for compressing stuff before transfering by kermit
over (really slow 2400 baud) telephone lines.

Can anybody tell me where I can get it?  I have ftp capability.
Thanks.

In the rare case that original ideas   Kenneth J. Hendrickson    N8DGN
are found here, I am responsible.      Owen W328, E. Lansing, MI 48825
Internet: hendrick@frith.egr.msu.edu   UUCP: ...!uunet!frith!hendrick

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (09/26/89)

ARC and ZOO for Unix are available from SIMTEL20.  ARCSRC.TAR-Z will
handle PKWare's squashing as well as the ARC compression methods.

Here is the info file from directory PD2:<UNIX-C.ARC-PROGS>

    ARC is an archive/library utility developed by System Enhancement
    Associates which maintains compressed archives of files and
    directories.  It uses various methods of compressing files,
    depending on which will produce the smallest result for each
    file.  This directory contains source code for programs that
    implement ARC.

    ARC-BLURB.TXT
	A quick blurb about ARC, where to order disks and manuals.
    ARC-DOC.TXT
	The ARC manual.
    ARC-SYS5.TAR-Z
	A version of ARC for System V.  Includes patches to make it run
	under 4.xBSD.
	Contributor: C. R. Seaman <crs@cpsc6b.uucp>
    ARCSRC.TAR-Z
	The official version of ARC for UNIX.
	Contributor: Howard Chu <UMich>
    BOOZ.TAR-Z
	A program written in very portable C to extract ZOO-format archives.
	Useful when you have to get one to a system for which a normal ZOO
	program is not available.
	Contributor: Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.uucp>
    ZOO.TAR-Z
	An archival program which supplies most of the functionality of
	the "tar" and "cpio" programs.  Runs under VMS, BSD, Xenix,
	SVR2, and similar systems.  Version 2.01.
	Contributor: Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.uucp>

The filename.TAR-Z files should be renamed to filename.tar.Z after
transfer to your Unix host.  These files were compressed with a
Unix-compatible compress program.

Don't forget to use the tenex mode when getting binary files from
SIMTEL20.

--Keith

packer@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Michael A Packer,Knapp Hall,,2928607) (09/26/89)

From article <KPETERSEN.12529147695.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>, by w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen):
> ARC and ZOO for Unix are available from SIMTEL20.  ARCSRC.TAR-Z will
> handle PKWare's squashing as well as the ARC compression methods.
>[...]
> The filename.TAR-Z files should be renamed to filename.tar.Z after
> transfer to your Unix host.  These files were compressed with a
> Unix-compatible compress program.

please excuse my ignorance, but I have attempted to find the solution
here at school and noone can seem to answer my question concerning the
tar file.

Keith says to remember to rename the file to  filename.tar.Z
I can get this far, and i can even go as far as to uncompress it.
But this is where the problem starts.  What do I do with the tar'ed file?
i know it is a Tape Archive somthing or other but I don't know what to do
with this... please help.....

I think this might be worth posting instead of mail to me...I am sure
that I can't be the only one not knowing how to do this.

many many thanks in advance.

> Don't forget to use the tenex mode when getting binary files from
> SIMTEL20.
>
> --Keith

by the way keith you are doing a great job!

michael packer
USMAIL:	318 Knapp Hall, WVU, Morgantown, WV 26506
PHONE:	304 293-3607
INTERNET : packer@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu
USENET:  {allegra,bellcore,ihpn4!cadre,decvax!idis,psuvax1}!pitt!wvucsa!packer

delaunay@irisa.fr (Ch. Delaunay) (09/26/89)

In article <468@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> packer@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Michael A Packer,Knapp Hall,,2928607) writes:
>From article <KPETERSEN.12529147695.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>, by w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen):
>> ARC and ZOO for Unix are available from SIMTEL20.  ARCSRC.TAR-Z will
>> handle PKWare's squashing as well as the ARC compression methods.
>>[...]
>> The filename.TAR-Z files should be renamed to filename.tar.Z after
>> transfer to your Unix host.  These files were compressed with a
>> Unix-compatible compress program.
>>

>please excuse my ignorance, but I have attempted to find the solution
>here at school and noone can seem to answer my question concerning the
>tar file.
>
>Keith says to remember to rename the file to  filename.tar.Z
>I can get this far, and i can even go as far as to uncompress it.
>But this is where the problem starts.  What do I do with the tar'ed file?
>i know it is a Tape Archive somthing or other but I don't know what to do
>with this... please help.....

Hi!

Please excuse me if this information is posted several times but I just
received this article and no reply yet.  After uncompressing ".tar.Z"
file "file.tar.Z", just give the command "tar xf file.tar" or "tar xvf
file.tar".  Adding the v switch to your command let tar display every
filename it unarchives onscreen.  It may be useful if the ".tar" file
creates a special directory for unarchiving.

If you also want to "unzip" files on your unix machine, try the "unzip"
program that was sent on comp.sources.misc.  I received and compiled it
yesterday on a sun workstation running 4.2bsd.  It works fine for me but
it doesn't seem to unzip auto-extractable zip files.

>I think this might be worth posting instead of mail to me...I am sure
>that I can't be the only one not knowing how to do this.

Hope it can help and won't overcharge the net tomuch.
Regards,

>by the way keith you are doing a great job!

I think so, many many thanks Keith!

Christophe Delaunay
e-mail: "delaunay@irisa.irisa.fr" or
"...!<atlantic ocean>!mcvax!irisa!delaunay".

george@rebel.UUCP (George M. Sipe) (09/26/89)

In article <KPETERSEN.12529147695.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
>ARC and ZOO for Unix are available from SIMTEL20.  ARCSRC.TAR-Z will
>handle PKWare's squashing as well as the ARC compression methods.

Not yet on SIMTEL20 (but maybe soon? hint, hint ;-) is a program to extract
files from ZIP archives.  It just appeared in comp.sources.misc.  FYI.

     UNZIP_GS (archive name)
	A small Zipfile extract utility, written in C and ported from
	PC Turbo C to (in general) the Unix environment.  Handles all
	ZIP formats including imploding in the just release PKZIP
	version 1.01.

--
George M. Sipe,		       Phone: (404) 447-4731
537 Lakeshore Drive, Berkeley Lake, GA  30136-3035

mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) (09/26/89)

In article <KPETERSEN.12529147695.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
>ARC and ZOO for Unix are available from SIMTEL20.  ARCSRC.TAR-Z will
>handle PKWare's squashing as well as the ARC compression methods.

Keith,

Is there any way for a non-internet site (ie. no FTP access) to acquire the
UNIX ARCSRC.TAR-Z file from SIMTEL20 ??

I have tried it via the MAIL trickle servers, but they don't appear to know
about the PD2:<UNIX-C...> directory(s).  I guess what I'd like to see is a
duplicate copy of this very useful utility in the PD1:<MSDOS.ARC> directory,
which CAN be accessed by mail.  It's not really all that inappropriate, as the
source could also be useful for some MS-DOS systems as well (though I want it
for use on UNIX to examine MS-DOS .ARC files that I download from SIMTEL20).

Cheers,

-Mark

Apparently I didn't think enough before posting my previous question on
this matter.  There is another difficulty.  Unix stores ascii files with
only a CR for a \n, while both a CR and LF are used for \n in MSDOS.
The kind of files that I would want to transfer most often would be text
files.  I could take care of this problem on my PC, or on the Unix
system.  Before I write a routine to do this, has anybody already done
it?

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (09/27/89)

hendrick@frith.UUCP (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
>Apparently I didn't think enough before posting my previous question on
>this matter.  There is another difficulty.  Unix stores ascii files with
>only a CR for a \n, while both a CR and LF are used for \n in MSDOS.
>The kind of files that I would want to transfer most often would be text
>files.  I could take care of this problem on my PC, or on the Unix
>system.  Before I write a routine to do this, has anybody already done
>it?

The ARC for Unix has an "i" option that takes care of that.
Example:  arc mi download   make an archive named download, move all
files in the current directory into it with newline conversion for
MSDOS.  Of course you don't want to do that with binary files.
Extracting: arc ei upload  extracts all files from upload.arc, stripping
the CR's to  make the files Unix compatible.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives

In article <271@bmers58.UUCP>, mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) writes:
|  In article <KPETERSEN.12529147695.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
|  >ARC and ZOO for Unix are available from SIMTEL20.  ARCSRC.TAR-Z will
|  >handle PKWare's squashing as well as the ARC compression methods.
|
|  Keith,
|
|  Is there any way for a non-internet site (ie. no FTP access) to acquire the
|  UNIX ARCSRC.TAR-Z file from SIMTEL20 ??

  I believe that this is the version which I sent to ST20. If so it's
available from the mail server at sixhub.

Send to: uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!archive-server

In the TEXT of the message:
send help to YOURADDRESS
send index to YOURADDRESS

Where YOURADDRESS is either user@node.domain or node!user

Examples:
send index to user@uunet.uu.net
send help to chinet!user

The help file will tell you how to get the information. The index is
updated about once a week.
that the world is flat!" - anon