[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] ViruScan Length

Alan_J_Roberts@cup.portal.COM (09/28/89)

John McAfee asked me to forward the following message:

    My apologies to the VIRUSCAN user community about my premature
announcement some months back that VIRUSCAN would always remain 34400
bytes long.  I am old enough to have known better.  Architectural
changes brought about by newer viruses have necessitated a changing
size for some versions.  Version 39 in particular, has been virtually
re-written to double its speed, link with the SHEZ program to scan
archived files and provide an individual file scan if requested.  Such
changes can't be squeezed into the original 34400 bytes.  I accept the
title of idiot from anyone who wishes to confer it on me.  Future
versions of SCAN will contain the file size in the documentation, and
sizes will be appropriately advertised.  John McAfee

twb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.w.beattie) (10/03/89)

In article <KPETERSEN.12530193701.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> Alan_J_Roberts@cup.portal.COM writes:
>John McAfee asked me to forward the following message:
>
>    My apologies to the VIRUSCAN user community about my premature
>announcement some months back that VIRUSCAN would always remain 34400
>bytes long.  I am old enough to have known better.
>Future
>versions of SCAN will contain the file size in the documentation, and
>sizes will be appropriately advertised.  John McAfee

If the programs are adulterated the accompanying documents can also be
adulterated.
Since the size is important and in question how about posting the file sizes
here?

---
Tom Beattie
att!hoqaa!twb