[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] YTERM and DESQview

DLV101@PSUVM.BITNET (Dwaine L. VanBibber) (09/26/89)

Is anyone out there running YTERM under DESQview.  I'd like to know what
DESQview settings you're using.  I'm having trouble.  Thanks.  -Dwaine

mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) (09/27/89)

In article <89268.151345DLV101@PSUVM.BITNET> DLV101@PSUVM.BITNET (Dwaine L. VanBibber) writes:
>Is anyone out there running YTERM under DESQview.  I'd like to know what
>DESQview settings you're using.  I'm having trouble.  Thanks.  -Dwaine

Please excuse the noise, but.. What is YTERM?  Is this anything like XTERM
for X-WINDOWS?  Or is it something completely different?

-Mark

geer@cardinal.yalecs.edu (John Y. Geer) (09/29/89)

In article <275@bmers58.UUCP> mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) writes:
>In article <89268.151345DLV101@PSUVM.BITNET> DLV101@PSUVM.BITNET (Dwaine L. VanBibber) writes:
>>Is anyone out there running YTERM under DESQview.  I'd like to know what
>>DESQview settings you're using.  I'm having trouble.  Thanks.  -Dwaine
>
>   Please excuse the noise, but.. What is YTERM?  Is this anything like XTERM
>   for X-WINDOWS?  Or is it something completely different?
>   -Mark

YTERM is an IBM PC based terminal package written at Yale and distributed
by the Yale Computer Center.  [Frankly, I think it sucks.]  It supports
key redefinition and a fast file transfer (YTRANS).  It seems to be
used best with our VM/CMS system that has a large PC archive.  I seem
to recall that it even supports the APL character set.

	john y.
--
---
geer@CS.YALE.EDU				Hochspannung Lebensgefahr

jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Webster Birdsall) (10/05/89)

In article <GEER.89Sep28202132@cardinal.yalecs.edu> geer@cardinal.yalecs.edu (John Y. Geer) writes:
>YTERM is an IBM PC based terminal package written at Yale and distributed
>by the Yale Computer Center.  [Frankly, I think it sucks.]  It supports
>key redefinition and a fast file transfer (YTRANS).  It seems to be
>used best with our VM/CMS system that has a large PC archive.  I seem
>to recall that it even supports the APL character set.
>
>	john y.

   FAST file transfer?
   Maybe there are newer versions that I don't know about. I'm using
(I think) 1.3. We also have (I think) 2.1, but it trashed the screen
occasionally while I was using VI, so I gave up on it and went back to
1.3. As for file transfer, YTRANS (known as PCTRANS around here) is a
total loss. If you're trying to transfer a text file that begins with
asterisks or periods, it hangs.
   Avoid YTERM at all costs.

--
James W. Birdsall  jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU  jwbirdsa@pucc.BITNET
   ...allegra!princeton!phoenix!jwbirdsa   Compu$erve: 71261,1731

ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Richard Ferris) (10/05/89)

In article <10698@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Webster Birdsall) writes:
>In article <GEER.89Sep28202132@cardinal.yalecs.edu> geer@cardinal.yalecs.edu (John Y. Geer) writes:
>>YTERM is an IBM PC based terminal package written at Yale and distributed
>>by the Yale Computer Center.  [Frankly, I think it sucks.]  It supports
>>key redefinition and a fast file transfer (YTRANS).  It seems to be
>>used best with our VM/CMS system that has a large PC archive.  I seem
>>to recall that it even supports the APL character set.
>>
>>	john y.
>
>   FAST file transfer?
>   Avoid YTERM at all costs.

I agree that Yterm has a very slow file transfer.  I have found
that ProcommPlus is very good for VM/CMS systems.  First it has
a special emulator just for VM/CMS (3270/950).  Second, it has
a bunch of other good stuff which Yterm lacks (as do most telecomm
packages).  Finally, if you have Kermit on the VM/CMS system you
can easily do Kermit filetransfers with either the built-in Kermit
or by callin MSKermit as an external file transfer protocol.

I have also heard that people use MSKermit alone as their comm
package with the VM system.  Obviously you could do file transfers
within that system.

RF

Richard T. Ferris
ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu