[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Autorouter wanted

westie@blake.acs.washington.edu (Eric Swansen) (09/28/89)

I'm trying to get a hold of an "autorouter" akin to what is used in designing
simple PCB's or IC's.  I'm not a EE or anything near such a magnitude, but
I am a grdaute student who is using sociometric diagramming of public
organizations in a thesis.  Suffice to say that in essense, I want to have
something that would allow me to place multiple lines between multiple boxes
on an organizational chart.  It is my understanding that an "autorouter" does
the same thing...any suggestions ?
Of ocurse, I'm a poor student, thus a public domain or donated work would
be prefered !

Thanks in advance for your consideration,

Eric C. Swansen
University of Washington
Graduate School of Public Affairs (Administration)
DC-13

westie@blake.acs.washington.edu

-------------
    How would you like it if you had to respond to 535 bosses with
    completely seperate agendas ? Now you know why it's called the
    federal bureaucracy !
                                                    ---------------
ZZ

:zz

I think I saw such a beast on either SIMTEL20 or grape. You should be
able to ftp them from there. I don't believe I grabbed a copy.

  Odd thought: someday I'm going to make a keyword index of all the
stuff I have on all machines...

that the world is flat!" - anon

mcmiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Michael C Miller) (09/29/89)

try Simtel pd1:<msdos.cad>pcb.arc

--
<  sans =>   mcmiller@uokmax.UUCP   or  mcmiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  >
< '..this one goes up to eleven. Its ONE louder.'                       >

sar@sys.uea.ac.uk (S.A. Rush SYS PG) (09/29/89)

  I am also looking for details of autorouter software for a friend (I
was just about to post a request when I saw this article).

  Could anybody please supply details of HOW to perform autorouting,
source code/references/pointers to places to look etc would all be
appreciated (executable programs are not much use unless source is
included).

  For anybody that missed the original article, autorouting software
is used in PCB design etc to draw lots of connections between objects
without having the lines cross.

  Any pointers gratefully received by post or mail (I read both).

           Thanks

                 Steve R

S.A.Rush                           School of Information Systems,
JANET : sar@uk.ac.uea.sys          University of East Anglia
Tel: (0603) 56161 ext 2382         Norwich NR4 7TJ, England.

fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred Freeland) (10/04/89)

In article <730@sys.uea.ac.uk> sar@uea-sys.UUCP (S.A. Rush SYS PG) writes:

>  I am also looking for details of autorouter software for a friend (I
>was just about to post a request when I saw this article).
>
>  Could anybody please supply details of HOW to perform autorouting,
>source code/references/pointers to places to look etc would all be
>appreciated (executable programs are not much use unless source is
>included).

A recent Dr Dobb's Journal (it may even be the Oct 89 issue) has a very fine
article on the subject with source code. I'm sure you will find it very useful,
I have.  The software works great too.

Hope this helps.

P.S. As I recall, the source was posted several months ago to C.B.I.P so should be archived somewhere.

--
Frederick F. Freeland Jr.                        "Of all the things I've lost,  Microsoft Corporation                               I miss my mind the most!"   One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052 (206) 882-8080                                                                                                                                internet: fredf@,microsoft.beaver.washington.EDU                                arpanet:  fredf%microsoft@uw-beaver.ARPA

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) (10/06/89)

In article <7947@microsoft.UUCP> fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred Freeland) writes:
>A recent Dr Dobb's Journal (it may even be the Oct 89 issue) has a very fine
>article on the subject with source code. I'm sure you will find it very useful,
>I have.  The software works great too.

There was a recent article in DDJ. #155, Sept 89, "Autorouting with
the A* Algorithm", by a person at Micosoft, Randy Nevin.
Hmm, don't you work there too Fred?

>Hope this helps.
>
>P.S. As I recall, the source was posted several months ago to C.B.I.P so should be archived somewhere.

His router 'pcbcad' was posted to the net prior to the article being printed,
check c.b.i.p postings 61 thru 64 in volume 2. They are available from my
archive server. The posting including the .C source code, i have newer
version is available, i would have to check with him before placing it on
the server.

>--
>Frederick F. Freeland Jr.                        "Of all the things I've lost,  Microsoft Corporation                               I miss my mind the most!"   One Microsoft Way
>Redmond, WA 98052 (206) 882-8080                                                                                                                                internet: fredf@,microsoft.beaver.washington.EDU                                arpanet:  fredf%microsoft@uw-beaver.ARPA
>uucp:     {decvax,decwrl,intelca,sco,sun,trsvax,uunet,uw-beaver}!microsoft!fredf                                                                                Opinions expressed over this signature are my OWN and not those of my employer!

--
Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex!mgse!marks

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) (10/09/89)

In article <1004@mgse.UUCP> marks@.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
>In article <7947@microsoft.UUCP> fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred Freeland) writes:
>>
>>P.S. As I recall, the source was posted several months ago to C.B.I.P so should be archived somewhere.
>
>His router 'pcbcad' was posted to the net prior to the article being printed,
>check c.b.i.p postings 61 thru 64 in volume 2. They are available from my
>archive server. The posting including the .C source code, i have newer
>version is available, i would have to check with him before placing it on
>the server.

I just received a message from randy saying it was ok to redistribute
the version he sent me, as well as to place it on the archive server.

To get a newer version of PCB cad than was posted to net send the following
message to the archive server at archive@mgse. You will get back a help
file and the pcb.arc file as a number of uuencoded files back. Remove the
junk from the top and bottom of the files, combine them to gether in order
and then run the one file thru uudecode. Here is the message;

help
set uuencode
send other/dos/hardware/pcb.arc

Pcb.arc is 285K long (more than twice as long as the posted version), I
think it will come out to be 6 or 7 60K uuencode files.