[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] vmode info for Paradise EGA board.

Sorry to post.  Mail wouldn't work.  Vmode info for
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com

Paradise EGA board.  Sorry, no further information.
The original box and documentation are in storage.
If you absolutely have to have it, I can dig it out
sometime.  Hope this helps.

CGA:
MODE       2
COLS      80
LEN     4096
ROWS      24
POINTS     8

EGA ONLY:
MODE       2
COLS      80
LEN     4096
ROWS      24
POINTS    14

STDCOLOR:
MODE       3
COLS      80
LEN     4096
ROWS      24
POINTS    14

132 cols, 24 lines:
MODE      55
COLS     132
LEN     8192
ROWS      24
POINTS    14

132 cols, 43 lines:
MODE      54
COLS     132
LEN     8192
ROWS      42
POINTS     8

Note: in both 132 column modes, a blinking cursor appears at the
beginning and the end of each line.  I can't seem to use the
132 column modes with any of my software.  It sure would be nice
though.  I would like to use it with brief, vp-planner, wordperfect,
qmodem, etc.  It also would be nice if I could find a terminal
definition for 43 lines in our local termcap files.  This would
make vi a whole lot more useful.

I already use the 80x43 line mode for brief.  It's nice.

132x43 might be nice for huge spreadsheets.

Any hints would be appreciated.

In the rare case that original ideas   Kenneth J. Hendrickson    N8DGN
are found here, I am responsible.      Owen W328, E. Lansing, MI 48825
Internet: hendrick@frith.egr.msu.edu   UUCP: ...!uunet!frith!hendrick

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (10/08/89)

I too had trouble returning mail to Tom Almy, but my 3rd try didn't
bounce so far.

BTW, I don't know whether it works for the Paradise EGA, but if you
try to use the Paradise 132x modes with Word Perfect 5.0, set the
132 column mode, and then start WP5 with the /f2 option. It worked
for me with nansi and I believe nnansi. BTW, although this is a kludge
the blinking objects can be turned off by running the accompanying
batch file GCOFF.BAT (graphics cursor off) or by using the nnansin.sys
version of nnansi which does not have the graphics cursor option.

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705
mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP           919 286 0411

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (10/09/89)

In article <4900@cps3xx.UUCP> hendrick@frith.UUCP (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
>Sorry to post.  Mail wouldn't work.  Vmode info for
>toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
>
>Note: in both 132 column modes, a blinking cursor appears at the
>beginning and the end of each line.  I can't seem to use the
>132 column modes with any of my software.  It sure would be nice
>though.

This is exactly the problem that will be fixed in the next "release".

I would like to know if anyone with other than a Paradise card is
having problems with nnansi.sys other than:

1). loosing lines of text with some programs unless CLS is executed first.
2). Funny graphic cursor ghosts (Solution GCOFF.BAT, or compile driver with
    graphic cursor off). I plan to fix the initial ghost upon switching
    to graphic mode.
3). Sometimes funny colors of characters in graphic mode (caused by programs
    using BIOS calls confilicting with ANSI modes when NNANSI compiled with
    takeBIOS EQU TRUE.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com