[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] WNQVT384.ARC - Windows VT100 emulator with X/Y/Zmodem/Kermit

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (10/04/89)

[--forwarded message--]
From: thaler@cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler)

I have uploaded WNQVT384.ARC to SIMTEL20. It is a COMM program written
for MS WINDOWS 2.1 or greater. It emulates VT52/100/200 & ANSI for BBS
use.  It also includes XMODEM, YMODEM, ZMODEM & Kermit. The ZMODEM
does not autodownload, but seems robust in all other ways.

<msdos.mswindows>
WNQVT384.ARC    WINDOWS VT100 emulator with XMODEM,YMODEM,ZMODEM & Kermit

This is the latest version I know of.

---

Thanks, Maurice!  I checked with the author and this is both a valid
copy and is the latest version.  He thanks you for saving him the work
of uploading it.   :-)

--Keith

ajk@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Jeff Boerio) (10/04/89)

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:

><msdos.mswindows>
>WNQVT384.ARC    WINDOWS VT100 emulator with XMODEM,YMODEM,ZMODEM & Kermit

>This is the latest version I know of.

I just downloaded this file, ran arc -l wnqvt384.arc, and had arc report a
bad header.  Downloaded it to my PC, and pkxarc -v reports the file as not
being an archive.

Is this file safe to use??  Is there anyplace I can get a version of this
file that isn't corrupt?

Thanks in advance.

     - Jeff
--
Jeff Boerio                   :  Purdue University Dept. of Computer Science
ajk@mace.cc.purdue.edu        :  Purdue University Computing Center Volunteer

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (10/05/89)

Jeff, I deeply resent you posting a message to the whole world
implying that files on SIMTEL20 are corrupt.  The proper approach
would have been to send email to me to resolve your problem.
My address is reachable from almost any network that can talk to the
Internet.

The file is NOT corrupt.  It is a normal PKARC/PKPAK archive which any
recent version of most archiving programs can handle.

[PHOTO:  Recording initiated  Wed 4-Oct-89 2:28PM]

@vdir wnqvt384.arc

   PD1:<MSDOS.MSWINDOWS>
 WNQVT384.ARC.1;P777752    73 148539(8)   2-Oct-89 20:45:14 KPETERSEN

 Total of 73 pages in 1 file

@tarc t wnqvt384
Testing file: DEFAULT.VT    okay
Testing file: KBTEST.EXE    okay
Testing file: READ.ME       okay
Testing file: RELEASE.DOC   okay
Testing file: VT220.FON     okay
Testing file: WINQVT.EXE    okay
No errors detected

@tarc v wnqvt384
Name          Length    Stowage    SF   Size now  Date       Time    CRC
============  ========  ========  ====  ========  =========  ======  ====
DEFAULT.VT         338  Crunched   23%       262   9 Sep 89  11:34a  F6DF
KBTEST.EXE        7521  Crunched   21%      5991   1 Dec 88   5:31p  4EB4
READ.ME           8597  Crunched   51%      4292  14 Sep 89   7:12p  3F37
RELEASE.DOC      16127  Squashed   52%      7817  16 Sep 89   9:51a  DBCA
VT220.FON        73616  Squashed   67%     24839  22 Jul 89   8:07a  5C65
WINQVT.EXE      149088  Squashed   30%    105162  15 Sep 89  10:56p  0D2D
        ====  ========            ====  ========
Total      6    255287             42%    148363

[PHOTO:  Recording terminated Wed 4-Oct-89 2:29PM]

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil [26.2.0.74]
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

boerio@ORCHESTRA.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Boerio) (10/05/89)

I tried to ftp the file from your server again.  This time, arc -l on UNIX
didn't return an error, but in fact said the file was OK.  When I go home,
I will download it and see if it works on my PC.

Please forgive me for maybe not taking the proper channels.  It seemed
right to me, though.  I wasn't implying that you would allow a corrupt file
in the archives.  I just didn't get it to work.

I thought that posting a message to the group would generate a lot of
response (and it did).

Feel free to post this message into the newsgroup, if you like.

      - Jeff

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) (10/08/89)

In article <KPETERSEN.12531499602.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
>Jeff, I deeply resent you posting a message to the whole world
>implying that files on SIMTEL20 are corrupt.  The proper approach
>would have been to send email to me to resolve your problem.
>My address is reachable from almost any network that can talk to the
>Internet.

I think can understand your resentment, but you are not that reachable. I
once posted a request for source code from the Dr. Dobbs Journals, you
replied via mail that there were some available at simetel. I ftp'd to
there and saw that you did not have what i wanted, and that i had more
than you did. I tried five or size times to send you a message to see
what i should do. Three times it bounced at simtel because of hardware
problems (something about no connections or something). The fourth time
the mail guru at rex found a path via a military installation that might
be able to get it thru (thinking they may have more priority with
connections), but that message bounced because i did not capitalize a
letter in the address, and the sixth time was something else. Finally I
just gave up on sending you mail. I have no idea if Jeff tried to get thru,
but I hope things are better now as far as getting a connection to mail you.
I will mail you a copy of this post, please let me know if you get it.

FYI:
	A number of magazines publish code, and i have collected quite a few,
they are available from the archive server at archive@mgse. Sending the
following message will get you the helpfile, a listing of all the available
magazine archives, and list of what magazines i archive and where they are
located.

send to archive@mgse or uunet!rex!mgse
- cut here -------------------------------------------------
help
send other/mags/list
send other/mags/index
- cut here -------------------------------------------------

>--Keith Petersen
>Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives
>Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil [26.2.0.74]
>Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

--
Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex!mgse!marks

w8sdz@eddie.mit.edu (Keith Petersen) (10/10/89)

In article <1012@mgse.UUCP> marks@.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
>I think can understand your resentment, but you are not that reachable.

This is the first time I've received a report that I was not reachable
at my SIMTEL20 address.  There are other addresses you can use to reach
me.  I have included them in my .signature below.

Keith Petersen

--
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@smoke.brl.mil, w8sdz@sadis01.af.mil