[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] rumor: LZW patented by Unisys

tim@attdso.att.com (Tim J Ihde) (10/10/89)

According to PC-Week's "Spencer Katt" article of October 2, the LZW
data compression algorithm is patented by Unisys.  Has anybody heard
anything about this?  Things could get messy if this is true . . .

--
Tim J Ihde				INTERNET:   tim@attdso.att.com
(201) 898-6687				UUCP:	    att!attdso!tim

dhesi@sun505.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (10/12/89)

In article <1989Oct9.205917.13123@attdso.att.com> tim@attdso.att.com (Tim J Ihde) writes:
>According to PC-Week's "Spencer Katt" article of October 2, the LZW
>data compression algorithm is patented by Unisys.  Has anybody heard
>anything about this?  Things could get messy if this is true . . .

Stale news;  did the Katt just figure this out?

LZW was patented several years ago by people at Univac.  Univac doesn't
exist anymore, and in the confusion of Univac becoming Unisys, nobody
bothered to worry about enforcing the patent.

Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

rlb@cs.odu.edu (Robert L. Bailey) (10/12/89)

In article <1989Oct9.205917.13123@attdso.att.com> tim@attdso.att.com (Tim J Ihde) writes:
>According to PC-Week's "Spencer Katt" article of October 2, the LZW
>data compression algorithm is patented by Unisys.  Has anybody heard
>anything about this?  Things could get messy if this is true . . .

The LZW compression algorithm was indeed developed by Terry A. Welch
of the Sperry Research Center, Sudbury, Massachusetts.  (Sperry &
Burroughs later merged to form UNISYS).  The algorithm was published
in the IEEE Computer journal (June 1984).  As I understand it, the
algorithm itself is not patented, but, Sperry developed several
proprietary implementations of the LZW algorithm for the Sperry
Univac 1100/60 (which is the machine that was used while designing
the algorithm).  These may be patented or at least copyrighted.
However, since the algorithm was published in an academic journal,
it should not preclude anyone from developing their own implementation
of the LZW algorithm (i.e. ARC, PKARC, Unix Compress, etc.).
Generally speaking, information that is published in the academic
journals is made available to the public to benefit and advance the
cause of research; it usually carries no restrictions on its usage.

Bob Bailey
Unisys Defense Systems
Chesapeake, VA
rlb@cs.odu.edu

rothstein@bcse.Enet.DEC.com (Lee Rothstein, 603-881-0771) (10/13/89)

In article <10166@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, rlb@cs.odu.edu (Robert L.
Bailey) writes...

>In article <1989Oct9.205917.13123@attdso.att.com>
>tim@attdso.att.com (Tim J Ihde) writes:

>>According to PC-Week's "Spencer Katt" article of October 2, the
>>LZW data compression algorithm is patented by Unisys.  Has
>>anybody heard anything about this?  Things could get messy if
>>this is true . . .

>The LZW compression algorithm was indeed developed by Terry A.
>Welch of the Sperry Research Center, Sudbury, Massachusetts.
>(Sperry & Burroughs later merged to form UNISYS).  The algorithm
>was published in the IEEE Computer journal (June 1984).  As I
>understand it, the algorithm itself is not patented
..
>However, since the algorithm
>was published in an academic journal, it should not preclude
>anyone from developing their own implementation of the LZW
>algorithm (i.e. ARC, PKARC, Unix Compress, etc.).   Generally
>speaking, information that is published in the academic journals
>is made available to the public to benefit and advance the cause
>of research; it usually carries no restrictions on its usage.

>Bob Bailey
>Unisys Defense Systems
..

If academically published algorithms are available for "open"
implementation then why/how has RSA held public key cryptography
"hostage."

Just curious.

Lee
| Lee Rothstein * UUCP: {purdue,ucbvax,hplabs,labrea,sun, |
|att,pyramid,gryphon,angelo}!decwrl!bcse.dec.com!rothstein|
|   * Arpa/Uniform Address: rothstein@bcse.enet.dec.com   |

rlb@cs.odu.edu (Robert L. Bailey) (10/13/89)

In article <942@mountn.dec.com> rothstein@bcse.Enet.DEC.com (Lee Rothstein, 603-881-0771) writes:
>..
>
>If academically published algorithms are available for "open"
>implementation then why/how has RSA held public key cryptography
>"hostage."

Primarily because cryptography is deemed a security item.  Anytime
something is regarded as related to national security, the lid gets
slammed shut.  Highly advanced cryptography algorithms might allow
some foreign power to learn how to decode classified (i.e. encrypted)
messages, etc.  (As if they haven't figured it out already :-)

Bob Bailey
Unisys Defense Systems
rlb@cs.odu.edu

In article <10181@xanth.cs.odu.edu> rlb@cs.odu.edu (Robert L. Bailey) writes:

   Highly advanced cryptography algorithms might allow some foreign
   power to learn how to decode classified (i.e. encrypted) messages,
   etc.  (As if they haven't figured it out already :-)

And some of the more paranoid among us believe that the USG is more concerned
about its own citizens being able to keep secrets from the USG.  Given
that the FBI has a fine history of spying on US citizens, maybe keeping
secrets from the USG *isn't* a bad idea...
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
Live up to the light thou hast, and more will be granted thee.

pats@cup.portal.com (Pat T Shea) (10/15/89)

the following was passed on to me by a friend, yesterday. . . .

4,464,650                     Aug. 7, 1984

   Apparatus and method for compressing data signals and restoring the
                         compressed data signals

INVENTOR:      Willard L. Eastman, Lexington, MA
               Abraham Lempel, Haifa, Israel
               Jacob Ziv, Haifa, Israel
               Martin Cohn, Arlington, MA
ASSIGNEE:      Sperry Corporation, New York, NY (U.S. Corp.)
APPL-NO:       6/291,870
DATE FILED:    Aug. 10, 1981
PRIM-EXMR:     C. D. Miller
LEGAL-REP:     Howard P. Terry, Albert B. Cooper
               244 Claims, 31 Drawing Figures

 We claim:

 1. A data compression and decompression system for compressing digital
data and recovering the original data from the compressed data, said
system including means for reading the digital data from a medium to
provide a stream of data symbol signals, said data symbol signals being
members of an alphabet of symbol signals comprising a predetermined
number of symbol signals, said system including compression apparatus
responsive to said stream of data symbol signals for providing a
compressed stream of code signals corresponding thereto and applying said
code signals to a medium, said system further including decompression
apparatus responsive to said code signals for recovering the original
data therefrom, said compression apparatus comprising:

 means for parsing said stream of data symbol signals into segments, each
  segment comprising a prefix and the next data symbol signal occurring
  in said stream after said prefix, said prefix comprising the longest
  match with a previous segment, said parsing means defining a first
  search tree having nodes and branches emanating from said nodes, each
  node having at most one incoming branch, the outgoing branches
  emanating from a node being representative of said symbol signals of
  said alphabet, respectively, said nodes having respective node labels
  associated therewith and respective addresses associated therewith,
  said first search tree having a unique root node without an incoming
  branch and leaf nodes without outgoing branches,

 said parsing means comprising means for tracing said stream of data
  symbol signals through said first search tree along a path from said
  root node to a leaf node, including means responsive to said stream of
  data symbol signals for determining the branches of said path in
  accordance with said symbol signals respectively,

 said parsing means comprising

  first storage means comprising a plurality of storage locations
   corresponding respectively to said addresses of said nodes of said
   tree, said storage locations being utilized for storing said node
   labels, a node label stored at a particular storage location
   identifying the node whose address corresponds to said particular
   storage location,

  address generator means for generating an address signal and for
   providing said address signal to said first storage means for
   accessing said storage locations thereof, said first storage means
   providing, in response thereto, the node label stored in the storage
   location accessed by said address signal, said address generator means
   being responsive to a node label provided by said first storage means
   and to a data symbol signal from said stream of data symbol signal for
   generating said address signal in accordance therewith,

  first detecting means for detecting when an accessed storage location
   of said first storage means does not contain a node label, said
   storage location not containing a node label defining a leaf node of
   said first search tree, and

  node counting means for inserting a node label into said accessed
   storage location of said first storage means detected by said first
   detecting means as not containing a node label;

  said address generator means comprising means for sequentially
   generating said address signals and for providing said address signals
   to said first storage means, the node label provided by said first
   storage means in response to an address signal providing the node
   label for generating the next address signal, said address generator
   means sequentially generating said address signals in accordance with
   the node labels sequentially provided by said first storage means
   respectively and in accordance with successive symbol signals of said
   stream of data symbol signals respectively, said address generator
   means sequentially generating said address signals until said first
   detecting means detects an accessed storage location of said first
   storage means without a node label; and

  means responsive to the address of said accessed storage location not
   containing a node label for generating a pointer signal in accordance
   therewith for each said segment, said pointer signal being
   representative of said previous segment matching said prefix and of
   said next occurring data symbol signal after said prefix,

  thereby providing pointer signals for segments of said stream of data
   symbol signals, respectively,

  said pointer signals comprising said compressed stream of code signals.