[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Print Screen

chad@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (D. Chadwick Gibbons) (08/23/89)

	Has anyone ever encountered a utility which will dump a text screen to
a graphics printer in graphics mode?  I just finished developing one which
traps specifed hot keys and then dumps the screen (text only) in a manner to
exactly reproduce it on a printer, i.e. reverse, underline, highlight,
borders, etc. will all be printed.  It's quiet nice for manuals.  I was
thinking of delivering to the netland if the intrest was there and once cbip
wakes up once again--but before I do I'd like to know if such an animal
already exists....hmm, if I'm inventive, maybe I could add a HPLaserJet mode,
but I'd have to figure out how to do graphics on that tank...hmmhmm
--
D. Chadwick Gibbons (chad@csd4.csd.uwm.edu)

malpass@vlsi.ll.mit.edu (Don Malpass) (08/23/89)

In article <3957@csd4.csd.uwm.edu> chad@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (D. Chadwick Gibbons) writes:

>	Has anyone ever encountered a utility which will dump a text screen to
>a graphics printer in graphics mode?  ....
>....I'd like to know if such an animal already exists....

I have such an animal for the HZ-100 which does graphic screen dumps
(not just text in graphics mode) to a C-Itoh (or equiv) printer, and
from time to time it has proven to be very useful.  A PC equivalent
would be welcome, but it is important to structure it in such a way
that it can run with MANY printer drivers, and that many of them be
provided with it.  Also, have you poked around in simtel's
<msdos.printer> directory?  I think similar things exist there.
--
Don Malpass   [malpass@LL-vlsi.arpa],  [malpass@gandalf.ll.mit.edu]
  Overheard at the North/South train platform in the Congo:

kwong@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Ken Wong) (10/12/89)

Does anyone know of a TSR that will print out the attributes (as well as
the characters) of a Print Screen. I mean that it will print out Bold, and
Underline atributes of the characters on the screen.  Could you please
tell me where I can find it (anonymous FTP) or better yet e-mail it to
me.   Thanks in advance

Ken Wong

--
Ken Wong
UUCP:	...!{ubc-vision,uw-beaver}!uvicctr!kwong

einari@rhi.hi.is (Einar Indridason) (10/14/89)

In article <808@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP> kwong@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Ken Wong) writes:

>Does anyone know of a TSR that will print out the attributes (as well as
>the characters) of a Print Screen. I mean that it will print out Bold, and
>Underline atributes of the characters on the screen.  Could you please

If someone has got a TSR that wil print the BLINKING attributes, please send
a copy to me :-)

(I could not resist)

--
To quote Alfred E. Neuman: "What! Me worry????"   ||||   Pobody is Nerfect !!!

Internet:	einari@rhi.hi.is
UUCP:		..!mcvax!hafro!rhi!einari

smvorkoetter@watmum.waterloo.edu (Stefan M. Vorkoetter) (10/17/89)

In article <1202@krafla.rhi.hi.is> einari@rhi.hi.is (Einar Indridason) writes:
>In article <808@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP> kwong@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Ken Wong) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone know of a TSR that will print out the attributes (as well as
>>the characters) of a Print Screen. I mean that it will print out Bold, and
>>Underline atributes of the characters on the screen.  Could you please
>
>If someone has got a TSR that wil print the BLINKING attributes, please send
>a copy to me :-)

I have written a TSR that tries very hard to print colour attributes.  It does
not print underlining, since that does not exist on a colour display.  What it
does do is compute the relative intensity between foreground and
background colours for each character, and then prints the character
using an appropriate attribute.  For example, WHITE on BLACK prints out
bold, BLUE on BLACK prints out normal, WHITE on GRAY prints out normal,
and BLACK on GRAY prints out in reversed video.  The program does this
using EPSON LQ2500 compatible graphics.

It is not very sophisticated, but it works.  You use it by pressing
CTRL-ALT-LEFTSHIFT, and then typing two digits to tell the printer how
many lines to skip before printing.  I use this to print screen images
in predetermined places on already laser printed pages of manuals I
write.

If enough people are interested, I will clean it up a bit, and post
it (via the moderator) to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.

Stefan Vorkoetter
(smvorkoetter@wmsical.waterloo.edu)