[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] editor

joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) (10/11/89)

I run DOS 3.1 on a IBM PC (320kram, 40meg hd).
I often have need for an editor that can do the following:
-Scroll up/down/left/right through text
-Locate a string
-change string1 to string2 (globally)
-add records, delete records
-be able to handle files that are quite large:
  very wide (i.e. 200 bytes or so)
    and be visually readable, i.e. by scrolling
  very long, i.e. lotsa records
  In either case, will not fit in memory and thus
  the editor will need to be able to 'run from disk'.
-ideally, show hex as well.

edlin and Personal Editor (old ibm pgm) come somewhat
close in some ways but neither cuts it overall.

Can anyone point me to a good editor either in SIMTEL or
COMPUSERV?

Many thanks,

joec@morgan.com

wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) (10/17/89)

 There is a shareware programme that should help by the name of PC-Write
3.0.  It is good and menu driven and only costed $90.

-bryon-

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (10/18/89)

In article <1173@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu>, wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) writes:

>  There is a shareware programme that should help by the name of PC-Write
> 3.0.  It is good and menu driven and only costed $90.

It is also a darn good word-processor, not just an editor. (It can be
both, depending on what options you use.)  At least, it does what I need
to do, which is a lot sometimes.  It will produce postscript and
supports bunches of printer types.

Gary L. Barrett

My employer may or may not agree with my opinions.
And I may or may not agree with my employer's opinions.

wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) (10/19/89)

In article <833@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM> gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) writes:
>In article <1173@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu>, wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) writes:
>>
>>  There is a shareware programme that should help by the name of PC-Write
>> 3.0.  It is good and menu driven and only costed $90.
>>

>It is also a darn good word-processor, not just an editor. (It can be
>both, depending on what options you use.)  At least, it does what I need
>to do, which is a lot sometimes.  It will produce postscript and
>supports bunches of printer types.
>
>--
>Gary L. Barrett
>
>My employer may or may not agree with my opinions.
>And I may or may not agree with my employer's opinions.

	You needn't remind me of what PC-Write can do.  I use it all the
time, but the request was for an editor that was cheap.  I even linked
PC-Write into QuickC so that I can edit my data files withou having to
exit Quick C (this is the 2.00 version).  I would recommend PC-Write
before WordPerfect becuase of the menus.  But if someone needs to do
serious word processing, there ain't nothin' like a Mac.

	Nothing more follows

-bryon-