[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Problems getting files from Simtel20

benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) (10/20/89)

I am having problems getting files from the SIMTEL archives.  I am on a
Unix machine (SunOS, I beleive).  After connecting to SIMTEL, I enter
"type tenex", and begin to transfer the files I want.  When, however, I down-
load them to my PC & try to un-arc them, it tells me that every file fails
the CRC check, and all I get is garbage.

A while ago I was successful in transferring files, but then I was on a TOPS-20 machine.

I know that this has been discussed a thousand times here, so evryone would
probably appreciate it if replies came by E-Mail.

Thanks!

Dan

benderly@cs.columbia.edu

ppd491@leah.Albany.Edu (Peter P. Donohue) (10/21/89)

In article <389@cs.columbia.edu>, benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) writes:
> I am having problems getting files from the SIMTEL archives.  I am on a
> Unix machine (SunOS, I beleive).  After connecting to SIMTEL, I enter
> "type tenex", and begin to transfer the files I want.  When, however, I down-
> load them to my PC & try to un-arc them, it tells me that every file fails
> the CRC check, and all I get is garbage.
  I believe the command is just 'TENEX' not 'TYPE TENEX'. After you issue the
command, you should see a reply of something like 'file type set to I'.

						Pete
--
Peter P. Donohue
ppd491@albny1vx.bitnet               .  "Education is a journey,

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (10/21/89)

In article <2106@leah.Albany.Edu>, ppd491@leah.Albany.Edu (Peter P. Donohue) writes:
 >In article <389@cs.columbia.edu>, benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly)
 >writes:
 >> I am having problems getting files from the SIMTEL archives.  I am on a
 >> Unix machine (SunOS, I beleive).  After connecting to SIMTEL, I enter
 >> "type tenex", and begin to transfer the files I want.  When, however, I down-
 >> load them to my PC & try to un-arc them, it tells me that every file fails
 >> the CRC check, and all I get is garbage.
 >  I believe the command is just 'TENEX' not 'TYPE TENEX'. After you issue the
 >command, you should see a reply of something like 'file type set to I'.

Actually, you should see something like "TYPE L 8 okay", but I suppose
that's a minor point.

How are you downloading the file to your PC?  If you're using Kermit, make
sure that you type "set file type binary" on both machines, and also
make sure that you tell Kermit about the parity settings.

If you have a copy of arc(1) for the Sun, you might try testing the archive
after you grab it from SIMTEL, to see if the problem is being caused
between SIMTEL and you, on the Sun, between the Sun and the PC, or on
the PC.

Note: I use a Sun 3/160 to FTP files all the time.  I transfer the files
down over a 2400 baud dialup connection (yuk) using Zmodem.  It works
every time.

--
Marc Unangst
Internet: mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (10/23/89)

In article <389@cs.columbia.edu> benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) writes:
>I am having problems getting files from the SIMTEL archives.  I am on a
>Unix machine (SunOS, I beleive).  After connecting to SIMTEL, I enter
>"type tenex", and begin to transfer the files I want.  When, however, I down-
>load them to my PC & try to un-arc them, it tells me that every file fails
>the CRC check, and all I get is garbage.

	The type tenex should be enough, although maybe image mode is necessary
as well. A while ago I transferred a bunch of files using image mode, but
forgetting tenex mode. Rather than re-transferring the files, I wrote a little
program to fix the tenex files. I posted the program TENEX to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc about 1.5 years ago, but would be happy to send it to
anyone wanting it. Here is the short description:

-----
	I had just spent a few hours uploading MSDOS stuff from SIMTEL20.
Back on my PC, I realized that while I had remembered to transfer everything
in binary mode (in FTP), that I had neglected to account for (is it called ?)
TENEX mode (since SIMTEL20 is a 36-bit machine). I decided it would be faster
to write a C program to convert the 36-bit data into good ol' 8-bit bytes,
than re-upload every. So here is the program. I used MSC 5.0. If anyone needs
a binary copy for MSDOS, I'll mail them one. I hope this wheel hasn't been
reinvented too many times...

					Cheers,
					Dan Ts'o
					tso@rockefeller.edu
					dan@rna.rockefeller.edu
					...cmcl2!rna!dan
					212-570-7671
					Dept Neurbiology
					The Rockefeller University
					1230 York Ave.
					NY, NY  10021
/*
 * TENEX convert - convert tenex 36-bit files into standard 8-bit
 *	byte stream by discarding every 9th nibble (hopefully its zero).
 *	Also convert TENEX 7-bit ASCII to standard 8-bit byte ASCII by
 *	discarding every 36th bit.
 *
 *	Written by Daniel Ts'o, dan@rna.rockefeller.edu, 9/7/88
 *
 *	Usage: tenex [-[t|b]] [-[v|q]] [files...]
 *
 *	-t	Convert 5x7bit ASCII (35+1bit packing) into 8-bit byte stream
 *	-b	Convert 4*8bit binary (32+4bit packing) into 8-bit byte stream
 *			(Default is -b)
 *	-i	Ignore nonzero bits (print warning but don't abort conversion)
 *	-v	Print progress on stderr
 *	-q	Quietly delete nonzero bits
 *
 *	If file arguments are given, they are converted "in place", using
 *		temporary file "tenex.tmp".
 *	If file arguments are missing, convert stdin to stdout (filter mode).
 *
 *	Compile with MSC 5.0 on MSDOS:
 *
 *		cl tenex.c \lib\setargv.obj /link /NOE
 *
 *	to permit wildcard expansion.
 */