[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Where on Earth ARE you?

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (10/28/89)

In article <GHODSI.89Oct26111233@shire.cs.psu.edu> ghodsi@shire.cs.psu.edu (M. Ghodsi) writes:

>I need the DOS version of tar. Does anybody know where I
>can get it from?
>
>thanks.
>
>ghodsi@shire.cs.psu.edu

[First of all, my apologies to 'ghodsi,' whoever that might be, because
his/her posting doesn't, in and of itself, deserve this response.  But
it, combined with all the others like it, prompt my reply.
								- kde]

I've got a copy (of tar, in this case; lot's of other things, too).

If you'll let me know if you're at Portland State Universiy and not
Pennsylvania State University I'll send it to you.  But I won't send
it to Penn St U!

I wouldn't waste the phone time of everyone between Beaverton and
Ohio to send it, simply because I'm certain someone closer to Ohio
than I (in Oregon) can send it, probably even locally.

By the way, this friendly reminder is very definitely NOT meant to
harass 'ghodsi' but is posted (again, and again, and...) to try to
get you "please send me a copy of _____________" folks to at least
give us possible responders a g** d*** CLUE as to where you are, OK?

OK!  I mean, even looking at the full header often hides the
original poster - tek connects directly to UUNET, for example, and
who _knows_ where the other end of that connection might be...

So if you're posting a request for an email reply, please indicate
your GEOGRAPHICAL location as well as a return email address so
we'll know whether or not it's efficent to reply to you or not.

Without knowing that you're relatively close to my site I won't be
mailing out anything that is going to cost someone else a bunch of
money solely for _your_ benefit.

Moreover, I would really like to suggest that people post these
requests to a locally restriced distribution of this (or other) news
group(s) before blasting away at large.  I mean, just how much do you
want (often someone else) to pay in 'phone bills, anyway.

(Is it true that UNIX is not really a computer operating system but
simply a great, grand plan by AT&T to rack up higher long distance
telephone charges with news and e-mail? :-)

Thank you very MUCH!

kEITHe