[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] UNIX news/mail readers for DOS

porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) (10/29/89)

Does anyone have, or know of, any MS-DOS programs for reading UNIX
news and/or mail?  If not, it might be a good programming project for
myself or anyone else out there.
--
                                                            [alp]

Adam L. Porter (porter@caip.rutgers.edu)
301-B Pleasantview Drive  Piscataway, NJ  08854          (201) 752-2983

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (10/30/89)

In article <Oct.28.18.40.14.1989.705@caip.rutgers.edu>, porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) writes:
 >Does anyone have, or know of, any MS-DOS programs for reading UNIX
 >news and/or mail?  If not, it might be a good programming project for
 >myself or anyone else out there.

Look in the PD1:<MSDOS.UUCP> directory on SIMTEL.  There is a version of
Mush for DOS there, and it interfaces with the UUPC package (also there,
get INTERIM.ARC).  With these two pieces of software, you should be
able to read/send mail on your PC.  You may be able to rip the network
code out of the rrn/PC that's on ames.nasa.gov (I think that's the
address; I know it's "ames" something) and turn it back into "rn".
That, combined with the simple rnews that's built into UUPC, should
allow you to read/post news from your PC.

--
Marc Unangst
Internet: mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us