[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Origin/meaning of zoo, looz, fiz, stuff, etc.

kerce@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Kingsley F. Kerce) (10/21/89)

I've made use of Zoo and its accompaniments for over a year now, but I
still am missing on the origin/meaning of `zoo' and `looz'.

The `stuff' program name makes sense, and I'd guess that `fiz' implies
"FIx Zoo archives".  What about Zoo?  Looz?

Kingsley
--
Kingsley Kerce             USnail: Dept. of Computer Sci. (or Dept. of Psych.)
Email: kerce@nu.cs.fsu.edu         Florida State University

ritchie@hpldola.HP.COM (Dave Ritchie) (10/23/89)

>I've made use of Zoo and its accompaniments for over a year now, but I
>still am missing on the origin/meaning of `zoo' and `looz'.

  Sigh... I don't for certain, but would imagine that both 'zoos' and
'arks' (a bad pun, it is true!) are things that hold animals.

				Dave Ritchie

In article <KERCE.89Oct21013556@nu.cs.fsu.edu>, kerce@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Kingsley F. Kerce) writes:
|  I've made use of Zoo and its accompaniments for over a year now, but I
|  still am missing on the origin/meaning of `zoo' and `looz'.

  I first met zoo back when pkarc, zoo, and dwc were having a battle on
Magpie, with new versions coming out almost weekly. One of the common
commands for zoo is "xoo" which most people would pronounce as "zoo". I
think that there was a program called "ooz" (zoo backwards) and that
looz was "little ooz."

  If Rahul is following this thread he can clarify it.
that the world is flat!" - anon

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (10/30/89)

In article <1466@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>I first met zoo back when pkarc, zoo, and dwc were having a battle on
>Magpie, with new versions coming out almost weekly. One of the common
>commands for zoo is "xoo" which most people would pronounce as "zoo". I
>think that there was a program called "ooz" (zoo backwards) and that
>looz was "little ooz."
>
>If Rahul is following this thread he can clarify it.

If you wanted a short (e.g. three letter) name that meant roughly its
opposite when spelled backwards, what would you pick?  I couldn't find
anything but "zoo" which, when reversed, means "ooz", which is about as
close as I could get to archiving and dearchiving.

Looz is Ooz with List.  (The original Ooz just oozed, it didn't list.)

Stuff was a defensive manouver in reaction to the eight million or so
"find" programs for MS-DOS, none of which could be told apart from any
others by its name.  "Find" finds stuff;  "Stuff" does the same.

Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi
Use above addresses--email sent here via Sun.com will probably bounce.