[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Don't buy from Halskar, CTI

2 semi-horror stories:

I ordered a Toshiba 1.2 M drive and floppy controler from Halskar in
Fremont, CA.  When the equipment arrived, it wouldn't work.  Halskar did
refund my money, but I had to pay for shipping back to CA, and waste my
time with them.  (By the way, UPS took 5 days to deliver a 2nd day air
blue label package, and I didn't get anything out of it!  Raw deal for
me since I was the final customer.  Moral: go Fed-Ex.)

I ordered a Western Digital WD1003V-MM2 hard/floppy disk controller,
from CTI in Woonsocket, RI.  They didn't have them in stock.  They offered
me a special deal on a no-brand substitute.  I declined.  I said I'd wait
for the Western Digital.  When it arrived, it was a no-name brand clone.
The documentation was incomprehensible.  I was pissed, cuz I specifically
stated that I WOULD WAIT for the Western Digital product.  They said
they would refund my money, but they haven't done it yet.  I find their
dishonesty (or honest mistake) inexcusable, and I won't order from them
again.

In the rare case that original ideas   Kenneth J. Hendrickson    N8DGN
are found here, I am responsible.      Owen W328, E. Lansing, MI 48825
Internet: hendrick@frith.egr.msu.edu   UUCP: ...!uunet!frith!hendrick

bower@hfsi.UUCP (Michael Bower Comm. ) (10/27/89)

In article <5130@cps3xx.UUCP> hendrick@frith.UUCP (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
>2 semi-horror stories:
>
>time with them.  (By the way, UPS took 5 days to deliver a 2nd day air
>blue label package, and I didn't get anything out of it!  Raw deal for
>me since I was the final customer.  Moral: go Fed-Ex.)

Don't necessarily blame UPS.  I have always had good service from them.
The fact that you want it to go UPS 2 day air has NO bearing on what
the shipper will do.  I have had one company tell me that it cost me
an extra $x.xx for 2 day air and another extra $x.xx for them to get
it out their door.  In other words, if I pay both extras, they will
ship it that day and I will get it in two days.  If I only pay the
first (UPS) extra, who knows when the shipper will get around to shipping
it.

Michael Bower - N4NMR                     Honeywell Federal Systems Inc.
uunet!hfsi!bower                          7900 Westpark Dr. - MS 1007
(703) 827-3559                            McLean, VA 22102

bower@hfsi.com commented on a previous posting of mine, saying that I
shouldn't blame UPS for being late with my package - the shipper might
have shipped it late.

I have in fact verified that the shipper DID ship the package the same
day I ordered it, with a UPS blue label for 2nd day air, and UPS did in
fact mess up and spent 5 days delivering it.  (Actually 7 days, because
a weekend was involved.)  I got charged for this (lack of) service.  UPS
says that since I was not their customer, they won't give me anything.
They waid they will only give money back to the company I ordered the
defective product from.  (Funny attitude they have, because if it wasn't
for me, they wouldn't have done any business at all.  I'm the important
customer.  I _specifically_ _asked_ the supplier to use UPS.)

Moral: you can ask for 2nd day service and not get it.  If you do not
get service, you won't get your money back, either.  UPS seems not to
understand the meaning of a contract.  You can get screwed.  UPS
doesn't give a damn.  Go Fed-Ex.

P.S.: Maybe it's ok for big business to screw the little guy.  Maybe
they don't get hurt.  Kraft had a contract a while back with several
hundred people a while back in which they promised to deliver a Mini-Van
to winners of a contract, and they reneged.  It doesn't seem to have
hurt them too much.  (I, however, won't buy Kraft products.)

ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) (10/31/89)

>a weekend was involved.)  I got charged for this (lack of) service.  UPS
>says that since I was not their customer, they won't give me anything.
>They waid they will only give money back to the company I ordered the
>defective product from...

    UPS had a contractual obligation to their customer - the shipper.
If the shipper pressed the point, UPS would make the adjustment.  Chances
are your vendor isn't too excited about this.
    The same situation arises when a parcel is lost in transit. The addressee
is powerless - it is the shipper who must apply for reimbursement from UPS.
    Ultimately, the only practical defense against this sort of thing is to
not let it get under your skin.
--
Ray Berry  kb7ht  uucp: ...ole!ray CIS: 73407,3152 /* "inquire within" */
Seattle Silicon Corp. 3075 112th Ave NE. Bellevue WA 98004 (206) 828-4422