[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] WANTED: panel/menu/form add-on for pc-curses

simcha@kurz-ai.UUCP (Simcha Lerner) (11/06/89)

Rather than using one of the several dozen user interface packages
available for MS-DOS, I am attempting to locate a port of SysV's ETI
(Extended Terminal Interface) for MS-DOS.  I am aware of pc-curses,
which supplies the lowest level of the ETI package.  What I am looking
for is a PC version of the panel, menu and form libraries.

If anyone is aware of such, please let me know where I can obtain
a copy.  (I am willing to purchase a commercial product of this
nature is one exists.)

While on this subject, I would be interested in hearing from
people about their experiences using the various user interface
libraries available for DOS.

To start the ball rolling on this latter topic, my primary experience
has been with Phoenix's PforCe.  Since there is no mouse support, and
Phoenix currently does not seem very interested in providing product
support, I am on the prowl.

Thanks in advance.

--
Simcha Lerner
Kurzweil Applied Intelligence

UUCP address:	{uunet,rutgers,ames}!harvard!talcott!kurz-ai!simcha
	  or:	bbn!kurz-ai!simcha

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (11/07/89)

In article <325@kurz-ai.UUCP> simcha@kurz-ai.UUCP (Simcha Lerner) writes:

>Rather than using one of the several dozen user interface packages
>available for MS-DOS, I am attempting to locate a port of SysV's ETI
>(Extended Terminal Interface) for MS-DOS.  I am aware of pc-curses,
>which supplies the lowest level of the ETI package.  What I am looking
>for is a PC version of the panel, menu and form libraries.

What is ETI ?? Is that an AT&T product?

>If anyone is aware of such, please let me know where I can obtain
>a copy.  (I am willing to purchase a commercial product of this
>nature is one exists.)
>
>While on this subject, I would be interested in hearing from
>people about their experiences using the various user interface
>libraries available for DOS.

I recently bought Aspen Scientific's CURSES/PC and FORMATION.
FORMATION is a higher-level menu generator on the top of curses.
It generates menus (pop-up, Lotus, pull-down) without much work.
What attracted me to this product is the potential portability.
FORMATION is sold both as an MS-DOS library and in source-code, so I can
use anywhere there is a working curses library.
So far I only have the PC version, the real test is still to come,
when I try to port the system we are developing to SysV.

dewey@pnet02.gryphon.com (Bill Dewey) (11/10/89)

We are currently using the CXL package written by Mike Smedley.  The features
list is too long to type in here, suffice it to say that the manual is 132
pages long.  It does include mouse support, all sorts of menu and data entry
options and a very nice help sub-system.  The support BBS number is:
      (512) 822-8882 and does support both 1200/2400 baud.

Good Luck,

Bill Dewey

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!dewey
INET: dewey@pnet02.gryphon.com