[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Binaries and latest versions

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (11/18/89)

In article <5843@lindy.Stanford.EDU> LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) writes:
>I notice that we are in the middle of a many part transmission of
>PC-WRITE 3.02 on c.b.i.p. Maybe I'm wrong, and I don't want to spoil
>the fun for anybody who is assiduously collecting each part, but I
>thought I saw version 3.03 on SIMTEL a few days ago.

Quite possible.  This is one of the natural features of the
binaries.  The queue can be even several months long, as I think it
has been this autumn, in particular.  Comp.binaries.ibm.pc is not
the place to look for the latest updates.  This is no criticism, but
a statement of the obvious.  Binaries serve a different purpose than
bringing the most uptodate wares to the fore.  There are so many
programs around that binaries offers a very nice preselection, and
binaries bring useful files available to users not having an ftp
access.  So the choice between the binaries and using ftp (or BBS
downloads) is both a matter of priorities and the connections
available.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun