[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Patch GRAPHICS.COM

raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Eric A. Raymond) (11/14/89)

For obscure reasons, I need to run GRAPHICS.COM under DOS 3.3 (to get
VGA screen dumps).  Unfortunately it gives me the message:

    Incorrect DOS Version

when I run it under DOS 3.3. I just tried tracing through the binary,
made one obvious change, one less obvious change, but it still would't
work.

Any patches out there?

--
Eric A. Raymond  (raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov)
G7 C7 G7 G#7 G7 G+13 C7 GM7 Am7 Bm7 Bd7 Am7 C7 Do13 G7 C7 G7 D+13: Elmore James

schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) (11/16/89)

In article <2961@einstein.ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov> raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Eric A. Raymond) writes:
>For obscure reasons, I need to run GRAPHICS.COM under DOS 3.3 (to get
>VGA screen dumps).  Unfortunately it gives me the message:
>
>    Incorrect DOS Version
>
>when I run it under DOS 3.3. I just tried tracing through the binary,
>made one obvious change, one less obvious change, but it still would't
>work.
>
>Any patches out there?

The version-check code in most of the DOS 4 external programs looks
like this:

B4 30		MOV AH,30
CD 91   	INT 21
3D 04 00	CMP AX,4
75 03		JNZ 176B

If you replace the last line of code (75 03) with NOP's the version test
will be ignored.

--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          ...!dasys1!schuster
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP   CIS:70346,1745

rickh@lancelot (Rick Hung) (11/18/89)

Does anyone out there have a program that will convert binary numbers to
decimal numbers?  I need one that will work in DOS.
If you have it, please send it.
Thanks.

Rick Hung