[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] v05i069: blockcur, force block cursor

drv@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (dennis.r.vogel) (11/17/89)

This seems to work but I want a program that will make the blinking
cursor stop blinking!  When its an underline style, it isn't too
bad.  But when I use blockcur to make it a whole block, it is too
distracting.  How about someone posting a stop-blink program?

Dennis R. Vogel
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Lincroft, NJ

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (11/18/89)

In article <2351@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> drv@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (dennis.r.vogel) writes:
>This seems to work but I want a program that will make the blinking
>cursor stop blinking!  When its an underline style, it isn't too
>bad.  But when I use blockcur to make it a whole block, it is too
>distracting.  How about someone posting a stop-blink program?

Actually, before blockcur (block the cursor :-) came out, I was
considering writing a similar utility myself (and still might for my
own edification).  It is not very difficult.  What one has to do is
to access the interrupt controlling the cursor size at regular
intervals, and make the program resident.  The cursor size control
is well documented in several sources such as the Norton & Wilton
book and inter589.arc interrupt summary available from any well
stocked ftp site or BBS.  Stopping the blinking is quite another
matter.  In fact the programs with the (seemingly) unblinking
cursor, do not use a cursor at all! They subsitute the cursor with
ascii 219 or ascii 220.  And anyway, were the resident cursor
unblinking, how would you see che character at the cursors'
location? There are many situations where the cursor is to move back
and forth.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

drv@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (dennis.r.vogel) (11/19/89)

In article <1049@chyde.uwasa.fi>, ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>                          And anyway, were the resident cursor
> unblinking, how would you see che character at the cursors'
> location? There are many situations where the cursor is to move back
> and forth.
>
> Prof. Timo Salmi

Agreed, that the characters under the cursor must remain visible.
I think reverse video would be OK for that purpose.

Dennis R. Vogel
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Lincroft, NJ

psfales@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (11/19/89)

In article <1049@chyde.uwasa.fi>, ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
> In article <2351@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> drv@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (dennis.r.vogel) writes:
> >This seems to work but I want a program that will make the blinking
> >cursor stop blinking!

> Stopping the blinking is quite another
> matter.  In fact the programs with the (seemingly) unblinking
> cursor, do not use a cursor at all! They subsitute the cursor with
> ascii 219 or ascii 220.

Before I decided on BLOCKCUR, I tried out a commercial program called
"Ken Skier's No-Squint Cursor."  I have seen it sold several places.  It
makes the cursor stop blinking, but uses a lot of CPU cycles to "follow"
the hardware cursor around with a solid block character.

The program's documentation admitted that it might not be compatible with
all applications, escpecially time-critical ones like modem programs.  I
returned my copy after I found that it would not work with Procomm on my
laptop.  I also found $34.95 to be a bit much after $10.00 for BLOCKCUR.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
N9IYJ            		2000 N. Naperville Rd.

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (11/20/89)

In article <4899@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> psfales@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) writes:
>In article <1049@chyde.uwasa.fi>, ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>> Stopping the blinking is quite another
>> matter.  In fact the programs with the (seemingly) unblinking
>> cursor, do not use a cursor at all! They subsitute the cursor with
>> ascii 219 or ascii 220.
>
>Before I decided on BLOCKCUR, I tried out a commercial program called
>"Ken Skier's No-Squint Cursor."  I have seen it sold several places.  It
>makes the cursor stop blinking, but uses a lot of CPU cycles to "follow"
>the hardware cursor around with a solid block character.

This indeed would be the way to do the nonblinking cursor.  It would
have to be a resident program repeating a cycle of two interrupts.
The first one would have to test where the current cursor is, and
the second one would have to write the block at that location as
fast as possible.  This sounds ok in theory, and the two interrupts
are easy to access, but my guess is that phasing problems (as you
indicate below) would be very tricky.  I may be wrong, but I doubt
whether this would be practical at all, and your experience is
confirmatory evidence.  But perhaps I should experiment.

>The program's documentation admitted that it might not be compatible with
>all applications, escpecially time-critical ones like modem programs.  I

Yes, no wonder.  And what about if there is a program running that
hooks the same interrupts?