[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Need unix-like programs for MS-DOS

jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) (11/20/89)

I've been forced to switch back to using mess-dos after using only
Unix on my workstation for two years due to failing reliability of
the hardware, and I'm very very hard pressed to do this without
some unix-like utilities. I recall a whole bunch of them from two
years ago, and now can't find any.

Any suggestions on where shells, commands, etc may be found (preferably
in source form, but I'll take whatever) will be greatly appreciated!

-Jay Libove
 libove@andrew.cmu.edu
 uunet!andrew.cmu.edu!libove

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (11/21/89)

In article <YZO0K4W00huWMlVkVX@andrew.cmu.edu> jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Jay Mathew Libove) writes:

>Any suggestions on where shells, commands, etc may be found (preferably
>in source form, but I'll take whatever) will be greatly appreciated!

There are several such
packages at our site eg in the /pc/pd2 directory.  They are
available by anonymous ftp.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

dar@nucleus.UUCP (Dario Alcocer) (11/22/89)

In article <YZO0K4W00huWMlVkVX@andrew.cmu.edu>, jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
> I've been forced to switch back to using mess-dos after using only
> Unix on my workstation for two years due to failing reliability of
> the hardware, and I'm very very hard pressed to do this without
> some unix-like utilities. I recall a whole bunch of them from two
> years ago, and now can't find any.
>
> Any suggestions on where shells, commands, etc may be found (preferably
> in source form, but I'll take whatever) will be greatly appreciated!
>
> -Jay Libove
>  libove@andrew.cmu.edu
>  uunet!andrew.cmu.edu!libove

I recently saw an advertisement for Mix and the Unix utilities Toolchest
they produce.  I purchased all the binaries for US$20, and they seem to do
a fairly good job for me; included is a Bourne shell which comes pretty
close to the real thing, considering that it's an inexpensive alternative
to another commercial package, put together by MKS.  The following are in
the Utilities package:

banner		dirname		mv		split		wc
basename	du		mvdir		sum
cat		expr		news		tail
chmod		getopt		od		tee
comm		grep		passwd		test
cp		head		pr		touch
cpio		logdir		pwd		tr
df		login		rm		udate
diff		ls		sed		ufind
diffupdt  	more		sh		uniq

The source is also available, and will work with Power C, Turboc C,
Quick C, and Microsoft C; the following is a price list:

Text Utilities source (US$10): banner, cat, comm, diff, diffupdt, grep,
	head, more, od, pr, sed, tail, tr, uniq, wc

File Utilities source (US$10): chmod, cp, cpio, df, du, ls, mv, mvdir, rm,
	split, sum, tee, touch, udate, ufind

Bourne shell Utilities (US$10): basename, dirname, expr, getopt, logdir,
	login, news, passwd, pwd, sh, test, uxdosbuf, uxdosint

To order, contact:
Mix Software
1132 Commerce Drive
Richardson, TX 75081
(214) 783-6001

Hasta...

Dario

| Dario Alcocer (San Diego, CA) | Internet......dar@nucleus.mi.org |
| via Nucleus                   | phone...............619-450-1667 |